Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Dodge Durango SLT+ 5.9 115K miles.

Have been having issues starting lately. I would turn key, the starting relay clicks ONLY once, but no crank from starter. This had been periodically happening, sometimes it would take 2 or 3 times before it would final crank and start, sometimes starts with first turn, but the the starter doesn't hang or sound bad once it cranks, in fact it sounds good when it finally starts. Now it won't start at all, luckily it is in my driveway now. But I managed to get it started to turn it around in the driveway after about 20-30 times of turning key. It seemed that if I wiggled the key it would start sometimes, but I think that was just coincidence or maybe not.... don't know.

Steps I've taken so far:

- Replaced the ignition switch in steering column, that did nothing, so I returned the part and put the old one back in.
- Switched relays in fuse box to see if relay was bad, it works fine.
- Battery was not good so I've installed a new battery now, but still no start, just the ONE click
- Cleaned terminal connection clips for battery

Still will not start. So am I safe to assume the solenoid is going bad? The problem is the solenoid is attached to the starter so it looks like I will need to just replace the starter.... But I don't want to assume that is the problem (expensive assumption), is there any other options I haven't tried that would solve this issue. I'm trying to do the starter as a last result due to the time and pain involved in replacing it.

Would an ignition coil cause this issue? What about the key cylinder? Distributor cap perhaps?

I also read one of the posts about having a bad connection inside the factory insulation on the battery cables, but don't know if that would cause the general issue I am having and I haven't cut it open to see either.

What are anyone's thought on this who have experienced this?

·
Super Moderator
12,667 Posts
- Check that the brown (solenoid) wire isn't damaged of corroded (I've heard of a couple instances of this).
- replace the starter.

IMHO, of course..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
- Check that the brown (solenoid) wire isn't damaged of corroded (I've heard of a couple instances of this).
- replace the starter.

IMHO, of course..

Is the brown solenoid wire the clip plug wire you are referring to?

·
Super Moderator
12,667 Posts
Yeah, it is a push-on connector IIRC..

·
Super Moderator
12,667 Posts
directly to the starter relay in the PDC (fuse/relay box)

·
Super Moderator
12,667 Posts
Here's the wiring

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
directly to the starter relay in the PDC (fuse/relay box)
Excellent, thank you sooooo much. I will have to get in there this weekend to take a look.

Is it easier to get at the starter from the wheel well or from underneath? Do I need to take off the inside wheel well cover? I've seen several videos, some good and some not so good, just don't know which one is the easiest to do. If you have any additional information on starter replacement, please do share. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have someone bang on the solenoid while holding the key in the start position. If it starts after banging on it then you need a starter.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Wheelwell is actually easier to take out then you'd think. now if you can save the little plastic clips, you're ahead of the game, being 16 yo, expect to get new push on, large head, plastic clips from autoparts store.
GL

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE: It ended up being the starter, bought a Carquest NEW one and so far so good. Had to have a shop install it because for some reason the videos online made it look so easy to get at it through the wheel well, but I had no room to get at it at all. Cost me only $80 to have done so I was okay with that. Thanks for all the replies and hopefully this post helps someone else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey I had the same problem so what I did to fix it I found two fuses 20A under the steering wheel and I notice that one was good the other was not so I replaced both and after that my Durango was always starting right up and I thought it was the starter the silonoid the spark plugs distributor cap and it was it was the fuses underbeath the steering wheel

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had this problem only when it was cold outside. I had the Neutral Position Switch at the transmission replaced and I have not had the problem the last 2-3 winters.

I did not get to try the trick to start normally in N in stead of P.

·
Registered
7 Posts
  1. Hr
  2. I have a 2002 Dodge Durango SLT+ 5.9 115K miles.

Have been having issues starting lately. I would turn key, the starting relay clicks ONLY once, but no crank from starter. This had been periodically happening, sometimes it would take 2 or 3 times before it would final crank and start, sometimes starts with first turn, but the the starter doesn't hang or sound bad once it cranks, in fact it sounds good when it finally starts. Now it won't start at all, luckily it is in my driveway now. But I managed to get it started to turn it around in the driveway after about 20-30 times of turning key. It seemed that if I wiggled the key it would start sometimes, but I think that was just coincidence or maybe not.... don't know.

Steps I've taken so far:

• Replaced the ignition switch in steering column, that did nothing, so I returned the part and put the old one back in.
    • Switched relays in fuse box to see if relay was bad, it works fine.
    • Battery was not good so I've installed a new battery now, but still no start, just the ONE click
    • Cleaned terminal connection clips for battery
    Still will not start. So am I safe to assume the solenoid is going bad? The problem is the solenoid is attached to the starter so it looks like I will need to just replace the starter.... But I don't want to assume that is the problem (expensive assumption), is there any other options I haven't tried that would solve this issue. I'm trying to do the starter as a last result due to the time and pain involved in replacing it.

Would an ignition coil cause this issue? What about the key cylinder? Distributor cap perhaps?

I also read one of the posts about having a bad connection inside the factory insulation on the battery cables, but don't know if that would cause the general issue I am having and I haven't cut it open to see either.

What are anyone's thought on this who have experienced this?

·
Super Moderator
12,667 Posts
FYI I don't think the '02 has the top-secret fuse block up under the dash

1 - 16 of 16 Posts