Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New here. I was very glad to find this forum. My vehicle had some white smoke coming from the engine and I found the issue was a hose not being attached properly and coolant/water was leaking. Just not sure how this one attaches.

Details: I'm not mechanical so here is my best description. When you're looking at the engine from the front, it's the short hose (maybe 5 inches and curved...no jokes please haha) in the right back side of the engine. The bottom end of the hose fits into some other receiver, but the hose end seems to fit into the receiver, NOT AROUND IT LIKE I WOULD ASSUME A HOSE WOULD FIT. I push the hose into this receiver, but it still leaks.

Questions...does it have a clamp? Is the part the hose goes into metal or plastic or something that can be clamped down?

The hose is in good shape, just don't know how to attach it. Any help would be great.

thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
additional info...the top end of the clamp fits around another receiver and has a clamp, but the bottom end fits INSIDE the receiver.

·
Administrator
8,042 Posts
Picture would really help.

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
Yes please a picture, once we have that you will have you answer real fast
Steve

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think you are talking about a black plastic Y adapter. There is a 1" or so diameter hose coming out of a pump mounted on the right fender, that goes into a plastic Y, then one of it's two outputs goes across the firewall to the front heater core, and the other output of the Y heads downward toward the passenger door to the rear heater core. That plastic Y part has three 1" long barbed fittings, but with a 1" long plastic sleeve around each so you wouldn't see the fitting. In your case, the plastic barb has broken off and only the sleeve is holding the hose in, which it is not meant to do.

You have a 'spewing coolant all over and smoke rising' situation likely on your next outing (mine popped on the freeway, of course). You can't buy the plastic part on your own, and just swapping in a T from the auto parts makes the installation really crappy. I chose to buy the OEM part from a dealer, plastic with three hoses attached, for about $94 I think. I don't mind overpaying dealer prices for that odd part that breaks once every dozen years and is the best implementation for the job.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you to all that replied! JeeperDon you hit the nail on the head. The part is $150 at my local dealer and $100 online. I can't wait so I'm headed to my local dealer. Thank you JeeperDon!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JeeperDon...I purchased the part. Would you be able to tell me how you install the hose that heads downwards? I can't tell where it goes? Any help would be great.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It only goes down a few inches, fits onto a steel tube that goes to the rear. The easiest way I decided was to take off the right front tire, and pull the big plastic inner fender. Once off, it's easy to get to the hose/tube fitting. I did the best I could to save the little plastic pop in things used to hold the inner fender, but I ended up buying a few new ones from the local auto parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts