Dodge Durango Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
2018 Durango GT, engine rattle, some may call it ticking I suppose at 8,000 miles. Since then, I have taken it to 4 different dealerships. Here is what I learned, not all dealers are the same. The first dealer was waste of time. The second did not even drive the truck to check rattle. The third dealership did not even do a single thing to truck. The fourth dealer did replace rocker arms/camshaft/ and rattle did go away, but it still rattles under acceleration. I have decided to keep truck until the 36K mile, and see how it goes. Love the truck, and I hope it last me a long time. Truck has now has little over 23K miles.
YouTube video link

R/T:
Folks usually put the video on youtube, or similar, and then post the link here. I have never put a video here directly onto the forum, just pics.

Don
Video link
R/T:
Can you make a video and post it so we can all hear what you are hearing there? The fact that the dealer replaced the lifters shows they are trying to resolve it. The lifters and labor to replace them is not an inexpensive repair. My guess would be in the $2K range if you were paying for it. At 62K, you are just out of your 60K powertrain warranty. I would do what you need to do to assure the issue is taken care of on their dime, and not yours.

When I fire up my '14 Charger Hemi after it has been sitting for several days, there might be 5-10 seconds of ticking, but it quickly quiets down. Back in '15, a friend and I test drove a '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee with under 200 miles on it. When the sales guy brought it around from the back lot, it was tapping like crazy! We sat there for a good 5 minutes, and then drove it around for another 20. About 15 minutes into the drive, it quieted down to what I would call acceptable. When we dropped it off, and commented to the sales person about it, his reply was, "it's a Hemi, they ALL do it!" We both looked at each other, and thought, BS!!!!!!!!!!

Don

Video link

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
They changed the lifters ? That is a major job and its not just the lifters when they fail they grind down the cam shaft. The lifters are more of a tick . If they did change the lifters and cam there could be metal shavings that are destroying other parts. The motor has a 100K warranty but as you get closer the will pro rate the repair work.
Link to video

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
That's a bit louder than I had expected. Are you inside the garage or other enclosure while making this. If so, that could reflect the sound back towards you and appear larger.

Don

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just now. I rested the phone on the tire. Louder noise is heard from the bottom on the engine.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Right about 2.45-2:50 is the tapping that sounds a bit much to me. Others with firsthand experience will hopefully give their opinion.

Don

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everybody! I have this knocking noise goong on for months now.
It's doing the knocking and after 5 - 10 min of idling it goes away or after driving around.
It was doing it on & off and for couple of minutes. Now it does it everyday morning afternoon & evening regardless of the outside ambient temp.
Went to the dealership numerous times and they say it's normal for 5.7 hemi, just the oil getting hot being pushed through the small pipes.
Last time, 3 weeks ago, I went they said that it's the lifters and they changed both sides. Still doing it and went back to them and again they said that it's just the oil getting pushed in.
I had 2013 Durango 5.7 50k and 2014 Durango 5.7 55k and they haven't done it.
What do you guys think of it? Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Durango
14 Posts
It's doing the knocking and after 5 - 10 min of idling it goes away or after driving around.
It was doing it on & off and for couple of minutes. Now it does it everyday morning afternoon & evening regardless of the outside ambient temp.
Went to the dealership numerous times and they say it's normal for 5.7 hemi, just the oil getting hot being pushed through the small pipes.
Last time, 3 weeks ago, I went they said that it's the lifters and they changed both sides. Still doing it and went back to them and again they said that it's just the oil getting pushed in.
Sounds like a stuck lifter

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Dealer repairs have a 12mo/12K warranty. I would take it back, and tell them you are not satisfied they have done a proper repair.

Don

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Dealer repairs have a 12mo/12K warranty. I would take it back, and tell them you are not satisfied they have done a proper repair.

Don
Thanks Don. I'm heading there tomorrow morning..although I so want to go to another dealership, because I'm just going to assume that they'll tell me, like 5 times until now: '"it's normal. Just the cold oil being pushed through the very small channels "
But if I do that, the other dealership might defer me back to the dealership that "fix it" .. I think and they be right to do so

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Not necessarily so. I have heard of cases where folks have been advised by the factory to "find another dealer" when the current one is not doing things right.
Good luck, and keep us posted please.

Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
My guess would be the Hemi tick, or in other words a broken bolt on the exhaust manifold. The dealer should have known this and checked that first. I took my 2014 Citadel in with what I thought was a valve tap and the dealer told me right away it was the exhaust. It was taken care of under the power train warranty.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Sounds not right. It sounds like a traiditonal lifter issue... BUT... you said it's louder on the bottom? I've also had a bad connecting rod bearing sound like this as well in an old GM V8.

Caveat, I also have not heard the tick with the broken exhaust manifold bolt yet either, maybe why it's louder underneath?

·
Registered
105 Posts
That sounds terrible. Sounds valve train related to me too. Do you have the work order from the lifter exchange? That is some serious surgery that would create a significant parts list. Rod bearing seems really unlikely and normally at idle the oil film keeps them quiet, then as you rev it up that dull metallic sound is evident.

·
Registered
506 Posts
If it goes away when it warms up, it's probably the broken exhaust manifold bolts. My 14 had that at 95,000 mi and I had it repaired und the power train warranty.

·
Registered
506 Posts
To replace the lifters they had to pull the heads, to pull the heads they had to pull the intake & exhaust and everything attached to the heads, not an easy job. How long did they have your Durango and are there any signs under the hood of them working on it?
No, that's not true. You don't have to remove the heads. Have you ever worked on a push rod engine?

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Tony:
What operation are you referring to? If it's lifter removal, for the newer Hemi (since 2006) the heads do have to come off. I can't speak to the original 60-70s versions without looking them up.

Don

21 - 40 of 76 Posts