Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody! I have this knocking noise goong on for months now.
It's doing the knocking and after 5 - 10 min of idling it goes away or after driving around.
It was doing it on & off and for couple of minutes. Now it does it everyday morning afternoon & evening regardless of the outside ambient temp.
Went to the dealership numerous times and they say it's normal for 5.7 hemi, just the oil getting hot being pushed through the small pipes.
Last time, 3 weeks ago, I went they said that it's the lifters and they changed both sides. Still doing it and went back to them and again they said that it's just the oil getting pushed in.
I had 2013 Durango 5.7 50k and 2014 Durango 5.7 55k and they haven't done it.
What do you guys think of it? Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
267 Posts
They changed the lifters ? That is a major job and its not just the lifters when they fail they grind down the cam shaft. The lifters are more of a tick . If they did change the lifters and cam there could be metal shavings that are destroying other parts. The motor has a 100K warranty but as you get closer the will pro rate the repair work.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My DD '17 does a similar thing as you describe! I have the feeling that it might be correct that they all (5.7ltrs) make the same noise but that isn't the same as saying that it's correct! I can believe that the hydraulic valve lifters drain overnight and need filling the first couple of seconds, making it even a minute, but most other engines I know of don't make this noise for longer periods of time.

Many DD owners have described this topic as stemming from a broken bolt in the exhaust manifold(s) and I tend to think that that might be our problem. I have had mine in for inspection twice and both times the outcome was negative i.e. they didn't think that it was the cause. I have the feeling that newer DDs don't have this as they should have corrected the problem a long time ago, I hope.

I have lifetime warranty so I have decided, for now at least, to let it be as it is rather than having them do like I think they did to you namely changing something which probably worked perfectly fine! They might charge FCA for this work so they make money that way.
Just my thinking though!

You didn't mention your mileage mine is at 36K and running great other than this issue. My son has a Toyota 5Ltr engine and it sounds like a V8 should, although I still like my DD better than his :)

Preben

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you done a recent oil change ? Possibly a bad or plugged oil filter. Monitor oil Psi. Could be the oil pump not working properly. Or pick up screen plugged. ?‍♂

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They didn't change the cam. They said it looked ok.
But, why the noise goes away after the engine gets hot? Could it be any other parts that stop knock/tick when they get hot?
And wouldn't the tech find if something else was loose or broken? Manifold bolts, etc?
They looked enough times at it.
Three different techs checked the noise and said it was the oil getting warm and pushed through the pipes!
Although one of the techs remembered the vehicle when I came the 5th time about the noise and said that it was the lifters and he changed them..
  1. And it still does it..now more longer than before, about 10-15 min, then it goes away
  2. My DD '17 does a similar thing as you describe! I have the feeling that it might be correct that they all (5.7ltrs) make the same noise but that isn't the same as saying that it's correct! I can believe that the hydraulic valve lifters drain overnight and need filling the first couple of seconds, making it even a minute, but most other engines I know of don't make this noise for longer periods of time.

Many DD owners have described this topic as stemming from a broken bolt in the exhaust manifold(s) and I tend to think that that might be our problem. I have had mine in for inspection twice and both times the outcome was negative i.e. they didn't think that it was the cause. I have the feeling that newer DDs don't have this as they should have corrected the problem a long time ago, I hope.

I have lifetime warranty so I have decided, for now at least, to let it be as it is rather than having them do like I think they did to you namely changing something which probably worked perfectly fine! They might charge FCA for this work so they make money that way.
    Just my thinking though!

You didn't mention your mileage mine is at 36K and running great other than this issue. My son has a Toyota 5Ltr engine and it sounds like a V8 should, although I still like my DD better than his :)

Preben
  3. I have 62k miles. It used to make noise just mornings, but now ticks for 10 min and more anytime after it rests for 4-7 hours. I even drove 300 yards then stopped, opened door and listened to it and it still does it, although not as loud but I hear it. I agree with you on the fact that it might've been nothing wrong with previous lifters (I wasn't thinking to request the changed parts) and that they just changed them anyway, at least I have new set or sets. I haven't seen the work. But it does it more often...that's the problem! and it's not for a min or two, I could live with that...it just knocks for 10 min!!. How much oil does it need to lift for 5-10 min? Do you know what 5-10min of knocking means?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you done a recent oil change ? Possibly a bad or plugged oil filter. Monitor oil Psi. Could be the oil pump not working properly. Or pick up screen plugged. ?‍♂
Just changed the oil yesterday! And 500 miles before yesterday, when they changed the lifters. Oil psi is good 35 psi idle and 52 - 54 when driving

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
To replace the lifters they had to pull the heads, to pull the heads they had to pull the intake & exhaust and everything attached to the heads, not an easy job. How long did they have your Durango and are there any signs under the hood of them working on it?

·
Registered
220 Posts
The reason the sound might stop when getting hot could be due to metal expanding, and if the gap is small then the noise would subside. Is it cold where you are? it could then take longer for the engine to heat up and "remove" the sound??

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To replace the lifters they had to pull the heads, to pull the heads they had to pull the intake & exhaust and everything attached to the heads, not an easy job. How long did they have your Durango and are there any signs under the hood of them working on it?
They had it for 2 days. It has new pieces on the sides and hoses across the top of the intake manifold. Didn't look under to the exhaust manifold though. The oil was clean. It is a reputable Scottsdale, Arizona dealership. I don't think they wouldn't change the lifters and then claim that they did.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The reason the sound might stop when getting hot could be due to metal expanding, and if the gap is small then the noise would subside. Is it cold where you are? it could then take longer for the engine to heat up and "remove" the sound??

Agreed. But as many as 5 times that I took the vehicle in for the same issue, wouldn't that cross their mind? I'm assuming that I couldn't be the only person with this issue. I live in Phoenix Arizona and it's quite warm. And the thing about it is that the temperature is irrelevant. It knocks in the middle of the day the same way or louder than the morning. After 4 - 7 hours of sitting, it knocks for about 5 - 10 min rain or shine

·
Registered
151 Posts
2018 Durango GT, engine rattle, some may call it ticking I suppose at 8,000 miles. Since then, I have taken it to 4 different dealerships. Here is what I learned, not all dealers are the same. The first dealer was waste of time. The second did not even drive the truck to check rattle. The third dealership did not even do a single thing to truck. The fourth dealer did replace rocker arms/camshaft/ and rattle did go away, but it still rattles under acceleration. I have decided to keep truck until the 36K mile, and see how it goes. Love the truck, and I hope it last me a long time. Truck has now has little over 23K miles.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
R/T:
Can you make a video and post it so we can all hear what you are hearing there? The fact that the dealer replaced the lifters shows they are trying to resolve it. The lifters and labor to replace them is not an inexpensive repair. My guess would be in the $2K range if you were paying for it. At 62K, you are just out of your 60K powertrain warranty. I would do what you need to do to assure the issue is taken care of on their dime, and not yours.

When I fire up my '14 Charger Hemi after it has been sitting for several days, there might be 5-10 seconds of ticking, but it quickly quiets down. Back in '15, a friend and I test drove a '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee with under 200 miles on it. When the sales guy brought it around from the back lot, it was tapping like crazy! We sat there for a good 5 minutes, and then drove it around for another 20. About 15 minutes into the drive, it quieted down to what I would call acceptable. When we dropped it off, and commented to the sales person about it, his reply was, "it's a Hemi, they ALL do it!" We both looked at each other, and thought, BS!!!!!!!!!!

Don

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
R/T:
Can you make a video and post it so we can all hear what you are hearing there? The fact that the dealer replaced the lifters shows they are trying to resolve it. The lifters and labor to replace them is not an inexpensive repair. My guess would be in the $2K range if you were paying for it. At 62K, you are just out of your 60K powertrain warranty. I would do what you need to do to assure the issue is taken care of on their dime, and not yours.

When I fire up my '14 Charger Hemi after it has been sitting for several days, there might be 5-10 seconds of ticking, but it quickly quiets down. Back in '15, a friend and I test drove a '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee with under 200 miles on it. When the sales guy brought it around from the back lot, it was tapping like crazy! We sat there for a good 5 minutes, and then drove it around for another 20. About 15 minutes into the drive, it quieted down to what I would call acceptable. When we dropped it off, and commented to the sales person about it, his reply was, "it's a Hemi, they ALL do it!" We both looked at each other, and thought, BS!!!!!!!!!!

Don
Hi Don. I tried to upload one yesterday but it was too big. I'll try smaller file size. I don't know how much size DD.net allows

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
if it's a ticking noise, it's valvetrain, if it's a knocking noise I'd say it's something in the rotating assembly.

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
R/T:
Folks usually put the video on youtube, or similar, and then post the link here. I have never put a video here directly onto the forum, just pics.

Don

1 - 20 of 64 Posts