Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 DODGE DURANGO CREW 5.7 AWD
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

New to the Dodge Durango forums since only driving mine since last June. Had a P0303 code come up and after extensive parts replacements (coil, Injector) we pulled the head and found the lifter and cam gone. Had 244,000 miles on it, so didn't want to do the cam and lifters with that many miles. Found lower miled engine and want to do replacement. Work at a repair facility so have access to a lift, but I'm not finding any information about this engine swap! Since it's AWD do you drop it down or lift it out and is there any videos to this replacement? Finding a lot for the trucks, but NOT the Durango's especially the AWD models. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Spend $20 on a PDF service manual. Here are 2 links. These links are always questionable, so use Paypal or a card with fraud protection to cover yourself. I will say that I have used other websites and ebay sellers and never had a problem.

The PDFs are an amazing tool to help you through the hurdles that aren't addressed in a Haynes or Chilton.

·
Registered
2011 DODGE DURANGO CREW 5.7 AWD
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A member here Tony H dropped it from the bottom...dropped the whole subframe. Should be the same with your AWD as RWD.
Thank You All! Just was wondering if anyone has gone through the process taking it out through the top. 5.7 Hemi AWD?

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Looks like you could...Jeep Grand Cherokee same platform and engine bay dimensions...but I'm positive its easier, quicker dropping it with the cradle as Tony H showed.

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
489 Posts
That is a link to the chilton. They are good for the basics, but I stopped buying them because the dealer service manual is much more informative.
Um, not anymore. I bought the FSM, through Tech Authority, for my 2013 JGC and 2015 challenger RT and guess what...no wiring diagrams. The chilton site has the same info as the FSM from TA but also provides TSB/Recall info, wiring diagrams and cable routing images. Oh and both discs required IE to run and you had to run it in compatibility mode for either to work. BTW have you tried the link to see what is available?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Um, not anymore. I bought the FSM, through Tech Authority, for my 2013 JGC and 2015 challenger RT and guess what...no wiring diagrams. The chilton site has the same info as the FSM from TA but also provides TSB/Recall info, wiring diagrams and cable routing images. Oh and both discs required IE to run and you had to run it in compatibility mode for either to work. BTW have you tried the link to see what is available?
That link is pretty good. Frankly, I still prefer my PDFs. My 2005 manual has the same info. But I think the one you got from Tech Authority may have been incomplete. FSMs should ALWAYS have a schematic since modern wiring is so sophisticated.

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
489 Posts
That link is pretty good. Frankly, I still prefer my PDFs. My 2005 manual has the same info. But I think the one you got from Tech Authority may have been incomplete. FSMs should ALWAYS have a schematic since modern wiring is so sophisticated.
Those were the only FSMs that were available for my 2013 JGC and 2015 challenger, which there were no wiring diagrams. Just do a search and see that pretty much any new FCA vehicle service manual will not include wiring diagrams. If you go to the TA website anything after 2004 only comes in USB/Disc format. The kicker is you can't get a 2015 challenger service manual anymore.

Font Number Parallel Rectangle Pattern

But even TA states that service manuals do not come with wiring diagrams.
Product Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
436 Posts
Those were the only FSMs that were available for my 2013 JGC and 2015 challenger, which there were no wiring diagrams. Just do a search and see that pretty much any new FCA vehicle service manual will not include wiring diagrams. If you go to the TA website anything after 2004 only comes in USB/Disc format. The kicker is you can't get a 2015 challenger service manual anymore.

But even TA states that service manuals do not come with wiring diagrams.
I don't recall where I found mine, but it was a free link somewhere in a forum. The information was lacking for some troubleshooting, but it was complete with WDs. 2005 DD
I bought one on ebay for a 2002 Lesabre that was $15 and one for a 2011 Equinox for $20 both included everything I ever wanted including more wiring diagrams for both.

The Lesabre FSM was not a PDF, however. It was a virtual machine to simulate the original program that Buick used. It literally includes everything.

It was interactive, so it was a bit different than a PDF, but it even included a thorough procedure for customers complaining about a funky smell coming from the HVAC. It said something like, drill an 1/8 inch hole in a highlighted area on the diagram for the evaporator box, use coil cleaner (listed as the GM part number), instructions on how to use the cleaner, and finished up with sealing it with a swipe of RTV (also with the exact GM part order part number).

It was way more thorough than any service manual than I have ever seen. It was pretty impressive. The listing on ebay was primarily a link to a download server and I was able to download it directly for immediate access or the sellers were also willing to put it on a USB for the cost of the drive. But the Buick FSM was like 6.5GB since it was a virtual machine instead of a PDF.

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
489 Posts
For my 2015 challenger I have the TA FSM, the haynes paperback SM, and a $20 Ebay CD which appears to be painstaking copied from the Alldata website. Of the 3 the Ebay CD has wiring diagrams but not as complete as the chilton link I have been whoring around on the forum. It is my go to for just about any vehicle but for FCA vehicles it seems to stop at 2018.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank You All! Just was wondering if anyone has gone through the process taking it out through the top. 5.7 Hemi AWD?
I did an engine replacement through the top on my Citadel AWD. The replacement engine came out of a 2014 Grand Cherokee. I took out the old engine as a short block (pulled heads while still in the car) to gain easier access to the starter and bellhousing bolts. I took the heads off of the replacement engine because I wanted to inspect the roller lifters to make sure they were ok. Since the heads were off anyway, I installed it as a short block, then installed the heads in the car.

I pulled the bumper and grill off too. Very easy access with those removed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts