Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Citadel
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My D (2014 Citadel 3.6L) hit 100k a couple of weeks ago. I took it in to the dealer to have some of the service recommended in the manual done.

Most of it I had done at the local Oil Can Henry's but the spark plug replacement is too big a job for a place like that and I've still got pre-paid LOF changes left at the dealer from when I purchased the truck.

The quote the dealer had given me via phone for the spark plug replacement was $239 but it ultimately came to $607. The service advisor said the person on the phone "didn't realize you have to change the plenum gasket".
I find that odd being that whoever I spoke to on the phone was clicking away as if they were looking something up then asked me specifically "Well, that depends; is it the 3.6 or the 5.7?" ... "3.6" ... "Okay, that one will be $239"

Notwithstanding... when I picked the truck up the invoice did not mention "plenum gasket" anywhere. Not in the details of what had been done and not on the list of parts I was being charged for.
I asked the service advisor why and he said "Oh, I dunno, they must have just given it to you."
Hmmm... So I went back to the parts department where they told me based on the job that was done there are actually 12 plenum gaskets that would have needed replacement and 12 plenum gaskets cost about $60.
The two guys at the parts counter had a difference of opinion as to whether or not the service department would have just comped me $60 worth of parts.

Fast forward about 100 miles and the check engine light comes on, there is more exhaust noise than usual, my D feels like it's having to try harder to accelerate than it usually does, and the gas mileage has dropped from 20mpg to 16mpg.

I went in to the dealer immediately, they scheduled me out about two weeks and said it was okay (would not do further harm) to keep driving the D in the meantime.

I was hoping here I could get some feedback as to what might be going on with the D, anyone's opinion or experience with regard to the claim that the gaskets were replaced even though I wasn't billed for them, and if they weren't if that could be the cause of what's happening now.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I think your dealer is screwing you. They should have called and told you before they continued on about any plenum gaskets.

Id take it to a third party independent shop and get another opinion. What's the code for the check engine light?

Edit - I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it's only 6 gaskets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Citadel
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the overnight drop slip I wrote "replace spark plugs, adjust parking brake, LOF, 100k inspection" and signed that no estimate was needed (being I'd already spoken to someone on the phone) so they probably believed I understood the price and no call was necessary.

I know the plenum gaskets are moved when the spark plugs are replaced. I'm wondering if re-using the same ones rather than replacing them could be what's causing the performance problems I'm having now. ... I'm not sure what the code is. I should probably look into how I can figure that out.

The parts guy had originally said there were six also then as we were talking and he was looking at the diagram and doing the math on what they would have cost he said "Oh wait, there's one on each side so there're 12 total." and figured in six more to the final. (I'm not sure what he meant by that but I figured he knew what he was looking at.) ... Maybe there were only six. ... Either way, I'm concerned about the possibility that they may not have actually replaced them.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
those plenum O-rings new or used can get installed, where they get pinched, causing a problem. not sure how it works on the 3.6 engine, as I never did a change on my challenger. it looked straight forward though.

Reactions: TwoScoops

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
You don't see the gaskets listed as they didn't replace them. They can be reused as long as they're not damaged or have not become hard.
BTW, there are only 6. There are only 6 cylinders.

Having watched spark plug replacement on the pentastar, its pretty involved and does require intake removal so replacement will be costly.

·
Registered
2014 Citadel
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dealer said the oil pump had to be replaced and that's what was the cause of the light coming on; so that's been done. (I'd have taken it to a parts place and had them tell me about the light but I didn't know they did that until I read it here late last night after I'd already dropped the truck off at the dealer.)

The adviser also said that the tech and the foreman both drove it and noticed no excessive noise or loss of power.

I'm going to pick it up now... I guess I'll see if a bad oil pump makes the exhaust louder or makes a car feel like it's struggling to accelerate. The latter I could understand, but the exhaust noise I never would have guessed.

·
Registered
2014 Citadel
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well all of the symptoms are gone. According to the invoice it wasn't the oil pump that failed like I'd said, it was the oil pressure sender/switch and there was a tech bulletin regarding it.

Also listed on this invoice (but not the last as I mentioned previously) were 6 intake manifold gaskets and 6 intake plenum gaskets (that's probably where the parts guy came up with 12).

I'm not sure if they had to remove those to get back in for that pressure sender switch thing and this time the tech did it properly and replaced them, or if they realized all the symptoms I was complaining about were a result of them not replacing those the last time I was in and they decided to cover their six.
They claimed everything was a result of the failed oil pressure sender/switch.

Whatever the case; my truck runs great again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts