Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 with the 4.7. Yesterday I pulled into a parking lot and it died. I put it in neutral and restarted it. It fired and Immediately died. It did that 4 times. I put it in park and completely turned off the ignition and restarted it, it fired up with no problems and ran. It runs fine now and hasn't done that again. It also didn't throw any codes. Anybody know what it might have been? It was half full of fuel and 94 degrees out.

·
Premium Member
5,473 Posts
CNW:
How many miles on the plugs? How old is the battery? Could be lots of things. More info needed.
Did you scan for codes?

Don

Reactions: cnw1970

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CNW:
How many miles on the plugs? How old is the battery? Could be lots of things. More info needed.
Did you scan for codes?

Don
125,543 miles. Champion plugs are less than a year old as well as the coil packs. The battery is 5 months old(NAPA Legend). I did scan for codes and it contained none. The throttle position sensor was replaced 14 months ago also. Looked over the fuses, they all look fine. It has always been super reliable and hasn't done it since.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,264 Posts
Was the TPS an aftermarket part? It's highly recommended to use factory sensors.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,264 Posts
Then that could be your problem.

·
Premium Member
5,473 Posts
If it only happened once, I'd not worry about it. These machines we drive, have glitches now and then.
Drive it , enjoy it, and keep on smiling.

Don

·
Registered
436 Posts
If the vehicle lost a body ground, causing it to not start, there would be a code stored stating a voltage error. There are lots of bugs on all cars like this. If it doesn't happen again, just drive it and realize that it might happen, so make sure to drive carefully and plan ahead how to escape traffic if it dies while cruising.

One thing I can think of is that there was a TSB about the transmission filter seating or a sticky torque converter. After driving a few mins, check the transmission fluid to see if it is milky or foamy. If so, the transmission filter wasn't seated properly and it is sucking air. Both the filter and a failing TC can cause the transmission to stick, bogging down the engine and killing it in the blink of an eye. Of course, this would only happen if you put it in drive, not if you stayed in neutral the whole time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts