Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the battery and terminals and repaired my fob. Had a loose battery holder thing fall out..I soldered it and attempted to use it but the truck will not do a thing. I turn the ignition and everything lights up but the red light continually blinks. I attempted to start it several times yesterday and it would crank, turn on and then shut right off. After a while it just never cranked anymore..Please help..Mechanic is far away and would hate to.pay tows for something I could probably fix myself..With you guys help that is..THANKS

·
Registered
250 Posts
I replaced the battery and terminals and repaired my fob. Had a loose battery holder thing fall out..I soldered it and attempted to use it but the truck will not do a thing. I turn the ignition and everything lights up but the red light continually blinks. I attempted to start it several times yesterday and it would crank, turn on and then shut right off. After a while it just never cranked anymore..Please help..Mechanic is far away and would hate to.pay tows for something I could probably fix myself..With you guys help that is..THANKS
That's the security light. Do you have another key you can try? It may not be recognizing your key.

1949 International KB2, 302/T5
1968 Dodge Dart GTS, 340/727
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
2016 Dodge Durango Limited

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
X 2. It's not recognizing the FOB now. I would open it back up, and see if you have a piece of solder in there where it should not be. As GTS said, do you have another FOB/key to try?

Don

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I dont have an extra key..the extra piece of solder would really affect it like that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just checked it and there was a couple of little pieces..I took them out and tried again but nothing. Could it be that I damaged the chip inside my fob?

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
JJM:
Could be one or more of many things. As VW says, you may have damaged something with too much heat. If those extra solder pieces created shorts, that can cause damage also. You can have a key for your D without a FOB. The keys have a gray head on them. They have a chip, but no remote. I think you need two working keys to program additional keys.
If you don't, you can get a locksmith or dealer to help you program them.

I have 2 remotes, and a gray key for my '04.

Don

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I called the locksmith..he gave me a gray topped key that actually turns on my D..He also told me I could have damaged the fob when I soldered the battery holder back on to the circuit board..long story short and $200 later, I was able to start my truck..What was weird is that my fob was still able to arm and disarm my truck..open and closed locks, panic, and hatchback buttons were still working yesterday and now wont work..dont know why?? Any suggestions on that now..Thanks

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
1,927 Posts
Just buy a new key fob or two and get the locksmith to cut/program them.

How many buttons are on your remote?

Check out this page. I've bought from this company several times and their prices are great. Just pick the fob that matches your current one.

Once you have two programmed keys, you can program additional ones yourself after getting them cut. That gray key counts as one now.

Reactions: Don Fox

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
JJM:
When the locksmith programmed the new gray key, if he didn't reprogram all of the keys you have, they won't work. When the programing mode is engaged, all previous keys are erased. As DuRon says, once you have 2 good keys, you can program more on your own, up to 8 I believe.

Don

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Just Sayin'

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Buying a key fob from the dealer for a 2nd gen and having them cut/program would probably cost upwards of $400.

I would buy at least one fob from Keyless Remote and get your locksmith to cut/program. Should be cheaper now that you can drive the vehicle and bring it to them.

Should save you $300 at least.

Reactions: Don Fox
1 - 13 of 13 Posts