Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello.
My 2006 Dodge Durango has been at two dealers. Electrical problems occur when it is raining outside.
The car typically sits overnight outside and in the morning if it is raining or has rained, the problem starts:
First the check engine light will illuminate. Next upon turning on the wipers the gauges will drop out to zero and all the dash lights will randomly illuminate. This dropout and random flashing occurs in unison (when wipers on intermittent) sweep. For example: in order to have steady headlights and working turn signals I must ensure to leave my wipers off or bump them manually. As soon as I bump them the gauges drop out and headlights flash, idiot lights come on. If wipers are on intermittent then headlights flash and all idiot lights randomly illuminate and gauges drop out whenever a wiper sweep occurs. If I turn off the wipers, the headlamps (I use them on auto), turn signals, brake lights work; the only dash telltales illuminated are the check engine and a flashing red dot (skim program light).
The issue is a road hazard as driving in rain requires wipers! On intermittent I lose turn signals and possibly brake lights (at least intermittently). Headlamps drop out and so do gauges and radio and obvious the telltales illuminate randomly one after another (with chime warnings as you drive) and wipers sweep.
The dealers have had car in shop several days at a time but are unable to duplicate complaint. Car may also not start keyfob won't work and alarm may sound.
No fault found. 124000 miles.

The symptoms only show up when it has rained. As a matter of fact I recall hitting some standing water at about 120000 miles on a bridge deck upon which within 10 minutes, all the gauges dropped out, then came back up (for 3 seconds). Problem now is whenever it rains issue of gauge dropout, daslights random, and headlamps dropping out is all time with wipers on.
Note:
This problem only occurs if it has rained. Wipers do not cause; this especially means a dry day produces no similar symptoms. That is, turning on wipers on any normal dry; there are no symptoms.

The problem is also annoying as the immonilizer will not allow the car to start or if armed will sound the horn and flash all lights even without an intruder. Inability to start vehicle means the most recent tow costed 85 dollars to a dealer one mile away.

Does anyone suspect water in a control module?
The standing water I hit was on passenger side fender area. I pulled wipers and cowl and looked at brains (ecu) at passenger firewall but all connectors were dry and the unit appeared to be sealed.

Again, issue only happens after a nightfall of rain. You can bet driving car after rainfall in morning will be a nightmare.
My biggest issue is my dealerships (two now) inablity to positively diagnose issues.
Anyone have any hints or suggestions???

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
My first guess would be water on the top of the engine due to a leaking cowl. It's a common ailment for early gen 2's that is getting much more prevelant on the forum as they are aging. Sounds like you're getting water in a module or the harness.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I am a Senior EE (with an auto tech certificate) working for an OEM marine manufacturer. Water intrusion in some vessels (Since I work in the marine industry at an OEM) I have seen rain cause devastation to connectors (water gets in even the best Amphenol Sealed connectors if you let it and causes all sorts of homotrons to screw things up).

Anyway,
If anyone has same experience with their 2nd Gen Durango please let me know. My thoughts are to order the ecm located near firewall. Cost however is prohibitive around $800. And, there was absolutely no signs of water intrusion on those connectors to that ECU. The ECU itself (I did take it out) looks perfectly sealed. One of the dealer service managers thought "maybe you have condensation in it".

I do know that this all started after driving across a bridge (two lane) on RHS lane near the barrier a wall of water caused the sound when drenching the inside of your fender for several seconds. Then the idiot lights came on and the gauges "reset". from on to off and back on again. Ever since then any time we get any rain I am hosed in terms of vehicle that my wife certainly cannot drive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did some research into the new cowl. I do not think it is cowl related necessarily. I mentioned that I drove across some standing water on a bridge and that was the first time I saw the issue.
To elaborate on that, I crossed a two lane bridge in my lane the bridge collects water (it was very dark at night). Travelling 50 mph I hear this SPLOOSH for several seconds water is drenching the undercarriage on the Passenger front fender side.

Within about 5 minutes all the gauges died for a split second and all the idiot lights came on for the split second then were gone.

This issue as said is not full time (gauges and idiot lights and issues) all the time whenever it rains heavily. I do not think it is cowl related per say as potentially water is getting into the area of the firewall mounted PDM but as said, that device when I removed it was perfectly sealed. I did not see any signs of water intrusion on the said ECU's connectors. These were all dry.

The Driver side fuse box is totally dry. Something must be getting water in it though as it is definitely a problem in rainy damp weather...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any issues with the doors locking/unlocking randomly or continuously? Trying to nail down similar sounding issues, although my gauges haven't dropped out yet.
I still have the issue.
The problem occurs after rain or car wash. It causes major electrical issues which locks out the vehicle so you cannot start it, it won't turn off, etc.

I replaced the pcm but no joy. Same issue whenever it rains I can expect needing a car tow.
If anyone has fixed this let me know...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I still have the issue.
The problem occurs after rain or car wash. It causes major electrical issues which locks out the vehicle so you cannot start it, it won't turn off, etc.

I replaced the pcm but no joy. Same issue whenever it rains I can expect needing a car tow.
If anyone has fixed this let me know...
I have had a similar problem. According to the previous owner of my 2004 Limited 5.7l, (my cousin), she had exactly the same problems with rain. Flashing dashboard lights, headlights out, lockouts, the whole set of issues listed. I just got the Durango in July, and the weather has been gorgeous all a summer, with a few heavy rains. HOWEVER, I did have a problem starting with a mostly-drained battery. When trying to start the car on a dry day, I had all the listed problems, and it was off to the shop behind a tow-truck. The problem turned out to be a bad voltage regulator. The wave form was unstable, so the battery wasn't getting fully charged, or retaining a full charge. New alternator/voltage regulator, new battery, and all is well. I haven't had any electrical problems since. Check out the performance of your voltage regulator - what can it hurt?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 06 Durango is also doing this.
I found my JUNCTION BLOCK, Relay Part Number: 56049173AF had lost all of the isolative coating off of the circuit board with much corrosion present all around, and moisture present.
I cleaned and dried it and reassembled and re-installed. Problem went away...until next rain.
This is located inside the vehicle on drivers side, commonly referred to as the fuse panel.
I believe but have yet to prove it to myself that water is getting there from the sunroof drain tubes that run down inside the front left (drivers side) pillar.
I have ordered a new Junction block and will be testing to locate source of water.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sunroof

I have fought this issue for months now. I just found that my sunroof is leaking at the front left corner of the sunroof and the water is working its way down to the fuse panel by your left foot. Next time it rains pull the cover off the fuse panel and see if you see water. I sealed my sunroof with silicon and stopped the problem.

Hello.
My 2006 Dodge Durango has been at two dealers. Electrical problems occur when it is raining outside.
The car typically sits overnight outside and in the morning if it is raining or has rained, the problem starts:
First the check engine light will illuminate. Next upon turning on the wipers the gauges will drop out to zero and all the dash lights will randomly illuminate. This dropout and random flashing occurs in unison (when wipers on intermittent) sweep. For example: in order to have steady headlights and working turn signals I must ensure to leave my wipers off or bump them manually. As soon as I bump them the gauges drop out and headlights flash, idiot lights come on. If wipers are on intermittent then headlights flash and all idiot lights randomly illuminate and gauges drop out whenever a wiper sweep occurs. If I turn off the wipers, the headlamps (I use them on auto), turn signals, brake lights work; the only dash telltales illuminated are the check engine and a flashing red dot (skim program light).
The issue is a road hazard as driving in rain requires wipers! On intermittent I lose turn signals and possibly brake lights (at least intermittently). Headlamps drop out and so do gauges and radio and obvious the telltales illuminate randomly one after another (with chime warnings as you drive) and wipers sweep.
The dealers have had car in shop several days at a time but are unable to duplicate complaint. Car may also not start keyfob won't work and alarm may sound.
No fault found. 124000 miles.

The symptoms only show up when it has rained. As a matter of fact I recall hitting some standing water at about 120000 miles on a bridge deck upon which within 10 minutes, all the gauges dropped out, then came back up (for 3 seconds). Problem now is whenever it rains issue of gauge dropout, daslights random, and headlamps dropping out is all time with wipers on.
Note:
This problem only occurs if it has rained. Wipers do not cause; this especially means a dry day produces no similar symptoms. That is, turning on wipers on any normal dry; there are no symptoms.

The problem is also annoying as the immonilizer will not allow the car to start or if armed will sound the horn and flash all lights even without an intruder. Inability to start vehicle means the most recent tow costed 85 dollars to a dealer one mile away.

Does anyone suspect water in a control module?
The standing water I hit was on passenger side fender area. I pulled wipers and cowl and looked at brains (ecu) at passenger firewall but all connectors were dry and the unit appeared to be sealed.

Again, issue only happens after a nightfall of rain. You can bet driving car after rainfall in morning will be a nightmare.
My biggest issue is my dealerships (two now) inablity to positively diagnose issues.
Anyone have any hints or suggestions???

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found my JUNCTION BLOCK, Relay Part Number: 56049173AF had lost all of the isolative coating off of the circuit board with much corrosion present all around, and moisture present.
I cleaned and dried it and reassembled and re-installed. Problem went away...until next rain.
This is located inside the vehicle on drivers side, commonly referred to as the fuse panel.
I believe but have yet to prove it to myself that water is getting there from the sunroof drain tubes that run down inside the front left (drivers side) pillar.
I have ordered a new Junction block and will be testing to locate source of water.
I have exact same problem but do not have a sun roof. I have not checked the fuse box for water damage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please let me know what u figure out, thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its water getting on your crankshaft sensor. From a cracked cowl. When it happens it seems like your whole car is fried, misfiring, transmission not shifting, hard to start, all kinds of random codes. I changed both crankshaft and camshaft sensors then silliconed the cracks on the cowl. No problems with that ever since. Its been about 7 years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This ended up being the sunroof drains were plugged. Dealer could not diagnose nor fix. I simply took shop air and blew out the drains and problem solved. Without that water finds it way into the dash a pillar etc and conducts electricity at a connector which then makes it seems as if the vehicle is possessed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts