Dodge Durango Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
We have hazardous waste days at the township so will dispose of there. With the watered down flushes also need to be recovered? Also, should I use one concentrate and mixed or what?

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
I try to recover as much of the flushed stuff as well. It's all bad for the environment, and any kitties/dogs that might drink it.
Since you won't get all of the flushing water out, the recommendation is to top off with full strength, and get it as close to 50/50 as you can. If you want, you could measure what comes out on the last drain, vs system capacity, and work backwards from there.

Don

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Once I get it under my belt I'll figure it out. So just the concentrate and not the 50/50?

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
Right:
If you go back with the premix, it's a bit harder to get the mix right due to the remaining flush water that you can't get out. If your D has the rear HVAC, I think you'll end up using about 1.5 gallons of AF, which will be 50/50ish of course.
I suppose you could get 1 gallon of concentrate and 1 gallon of premix, so you have more flexibility.

Don

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sorry to keep asking questions. After my last venture with ATF+4 trans fluid I think I'd like to be sure I'm using the right antifreeze. Is the Prestone above the right stuff? I looked around and I can only find the diluted Zerex G-05 which won't work because I need the concentrate. The only other close product I found was the link below bit it is OAT not HOAT. https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/RCE16924?impressionRank=1&keywordInput=16924
Let me know your thoughts and thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
Excellent!!!! I have used the G-05 stuff in several vehicles, and have been very pleased with it.

Don

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Okay hopefully this is the last post for me on this subject. I flushed the system twice with distilled water and filled with the concentrate. The scale on my tester only goes to -49 and it is past that. A couple of things, 1) After I got the truck hot the rad cap was not hot and I was able to take the cap off with no pressure or discharge. Is this normal or a sign of a problem? 2)Do I fill the overflow bottle when it is cold or hot?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Did you fill with only concentrate? You need to add water to the full concentrate. When I said I fill with concentrate, it was implied that it was only to compensate for the water still left in the block.

You should fill it with 1 gallon of concentrate, then let the engine run so the water pump mixes it and works the air out, filling until almost full with 50/50 mix. Tweak the mix based on your temp rating with the coolant tool. The coolant should be -35F depending on your climate. For example, if you live in California, you can get away with +32F, but in the midwest, we occasionally get temps below -35, so I mix it to -45F. You should fill the bottle when the engine is warm and the radiator full. Your temps in Canada might vary.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm not sure what the total coolant is in the system but I was able to drain about 8 quarts. It sounds like I have some tweaking to do. Right now the overflow is empty so I have some room but I don't want to put strait water in there as I don't know if it will mix enough not to freeze. It is below zero right now.

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
Two gallons drained is about right. You can fill the overflow warm or cold. Just fill about half way. Once it runs a few cycles, you can adjust it from there.

Don

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm not sure where I got my wires crossed but after much tweaking I have the antifreeze at -37 degrees. Should have used one jug of concentrate and one 50/50.

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
Overall, that sounds pretty good. As long as the cooling part is working ok as well, I think you're good.

Don

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It seems to be cooling fine and the temp gauge sits a little above the 1/4. I did post a couple of concerns earlier that I don't think I got comments on. 1) Even when the truck is hot the rad cap isn't hot and I can remove it. 2)When I remove it there doesn't seem to be any pressure.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
414 Posts
If you're still below zero ambient then the motor probably doesn't actually heat up enough to open the thermostat. You should still be fine because your gauge is still at 1/4.

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
If your T stat is in good shape, and opens @ 203 degrees per oem spec, your temp gauge should run a needle width or 2 below the half way mark. The sender might have changed value after all these years/miles. Are you getting good heat when you want it? My 5.7 takes a little while to warm up on a cold winter day here in SW Ohio, but once it does, it will run you out. I have found that the rear heat is not necessary as long as I only have the 2 front seats filled.

Don

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm not sure where I got my wires crossed but after much tweaking I have the antifreeze at -37 degrees. Should have used one jug of concentrate and one 50/50.
I just buy the 2 jugs of full concentrate because its $2 more than 50/50 and I get twice as much after I add water. If you don't have pressure, then you might have air trapped in the system. I would just check it every time before you drive and make sure the overflow is filled. Most vehicles I have had, I can run half locked no issue. On my DD, it will spew out within 5 mins if it isn't 100% locked.

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
It is important to burp the system. The 5.7 is not that hard. It helps to elevate the front of the D a bit, and then have both heating systems on hi. Continue to top off the radiator as the air comes up and out. It is very helpful to run the engine rpms up to 15.-2k several times during the process. Eventually, you will have great heat, and the temp gauge should settle just under half if all is well.

Don

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Okay was out today 28 degrees Celsius (82.4 Fahrenheit) , AC on pulling my boat and the temp was just under half. Given the previous information in this post, that sounds about right. Overflow is full. BTW, am I the only one that has trouble with the dip stick on the overflow? It is very hard to tell where the level is.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Okay was out today 28 degrees Celsius (82.4 Fahrenheit) , AC on pulling my boat and the temp was just under half. Given the previous information in this post, that sounds about right. Overflow is full. BTW, am I the only one that has trouble with the dip stick on the overflow? It is very hard to tell where the level is.
You are supposed to pull it out and see if the holes in the stem are filled with fluid or dry. Its not like an oil dipstick.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts