Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My D has 145,000 kilometers and I haven't changed the coolant yet so I'm thinking it is time. I've noticed the temp gauge not getting as high as it usually did but I'm not sure if this is related to the lack of changing the coolant. I watched a few youtube videos and they seem to be different.
1)they drained the coolant from rad, filled with water, ran the engine, drained again and then filled with 50/50 Coolant (I'm not sure this is a good idea because wouldn't some of the water stay in the system diluting the coolant? They didn't use distilled water either).
2)Drained the coolant from rad and filled with 50/50 coolant, then plan do do this again in a month to get the rest of the coolant out. (they didn't want to drain the block plugs because they couldn't identify them and worried they were seized).

My other question is what coolant to use as one of the videos mentioned that the block was aluminum with metal heads so you would get bad corrosion if you used the wrong coolant. I picked up a few jugs of Prestone 50/50 mix but now I'm not sure.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
1,721 Posts
Zerex G05 is appropriate. Don't use any of the green coolants.

Looks like you can get it at Walmart in Canada.

Reactions: Don Fox

·
Registered
102 Posts
What year? The 2004 used a different coolant than the 2005. I am not sure it matters, but it would be worth confirming.

Regarding the coolant issue, I always use full concentrate and mix it to -50F. We have had a few nights in the past few years that were -40F and one night even -60F, so I wanted to make sure that my coolant could handle those temps again if needed. I think 50/50 is rated to -35F, which is starting to seem marginal for extreme weather. If you are concerned about what temp your coolant is rated for, pick up a coolant tester for $10 and check. If it is lower than you want, just syphon some into a bucket and add some full concentrate to compensate for it.

·
Premium Member
3,781 Posts
The Gold G05 coolant is good stuff, and some brands of it claim to be a lifetime fill. Just flush all of the old stuff out really well, and go back in with some G05. I have that in my '04D, and used it to replace the crusty old green stuff that came in my '01. I like the 10yr/150k spec on the oem purple coolant in my '14 Charger, so I'll stay with that for it.

Don

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Can someone provide the coolant flush instructions and comment on the items in my post. What is wrong with the Prestone coolant?

·
Premium Member
3,781 Posts
What color is the Prestone you have? As vehicle technology has changed/improved, the manufacturers have come out with better products that have a longer service interval. The older green style coolant may, or may not be compatible with a newer style vehicle. Using the proper orange colored oem coolant, or the newer gold G05 coolant is better for the vehicle, and you eliminate any chance of damage due to incompatibility.

Re the coolant flush, you can search here, and find my post from when I serviced the cooling system on my '04 SLT. At that time, I also updated to the longer life G05 coolant.
Don

Reactions: DuRonbo

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
2004-2009 use HOAT coolant (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology). G05 is HOAT. Ford also has some HOAT coolant also. They'll be Yellow/Orange in color. they should be 5 year/100,000 mile rated.

2011-2013 use OAT.

Genuine Mopar Fluid 68048953AB is the undiluted Mopar HOAT coolant.

Mopar 68051212AB Anti-Freeze is the 50/50 mix HOAT coolant.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
What Prestone coolant did you buy? What's the model/part number or a link to the stuff you bought?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
The key is getting a flush done before the new coolant. If you don't know what's in there or bought the vehicle used and are unsure get a flush done. After that..use HOAT.

Reactions: Don Fox

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Can someone provide the coolant flush instructions and comment on the items in my post. What is wrong with the Prestone coolant?
What I do is drain the coolant, fill with water, cycle it for 30 mins to an hour in idle, then drain after it cools again. It is still nasty, I will do 2 water cycles.

I am aware that there is still some water in it at that point, so after I drain the water out, I add a gallon of concentrate to start and add more concentrate or water to get my preferred temp level. I will drive it for an hour or two to run errands or go to work, then after it cools down, I will test it again and adjust my mix if needed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any comments on how cerd does his flush? Will that work for me? When I've read other posts they talk about tap water not being good for the system, installing a hose attachment on the heater line to flush, using distilled water afterwards to dilute any remaining tap water, etc... It seems like there are many opinions on how to flush. I'll check on the type of coolant I bought, I just know it is green at this point and the existing coolant is pink/redish.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ditch the green coolant and buy G05. Some people use the attachment for the hose, but IMO, its a PITA. I have never had an issue just filling it with water once or twice to flush then refilling it with coolant without the adapter. I know some people insist on using distilled water. I just use city hose water to flush and I usually use distilled just for the final fill. I have never had a coolant issue that wasn't considered normal wear and tear. I did have to change a water pump on my 02 Buick, but that thing is over 350k miles now, so any and all repairs are merely out of old age.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts