Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I was trying to leave to go the hardware store to get more paint when my Durango quit on me. I puled out of my driveway just fine but when I put it in drive and pressed on the gas there was a loud clunk and then the engine just kept revving. Well, my heart dropped of my chest and I knew that I she was not moving. The engine runs. It just won't go into gear at all(R/D/1/2). I looked online through different threads on different sites and I got many different pieces of info. From bad sensors, low fluid, and bad sensors to busted torque converters and shot pumps. I need someone to please help me out the best they can. All I want is good guidance so that I can get this fixed. I am not mechanic but I do know how to work on basic items on vehicles. That and using a Chilton helps a lot. Anybody got anything in good guidance for me?

·
Super Moderator
12,804 Posts
2WD/4WD/AWD?

If the last two, might be transfer case (assuming you don't have a driveshaft hanging down)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's AWD/4WD and no shaft is hanging down. Was able to get it pushed back into the driveway last night with the help of my daughter's fiancé and his friend. So, it may be the transfer case. When the clunk happened(which was pretty loud and i felt it) it came from the front. Wow, FML......

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
Driver:
We had an 05 at work that behaved just as you describe, and the remedy was a new torque converter. It had around 70K on the odo at the time, but a lot of idling hours to go along with that.
Eventually, the trans died (well over 100K and 10000 engine hours).
The NV244 T case is pretty stout, so my vote is a trans related issue. How many miles on it, and has the trans been serviced regularly if at all?

Don

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Driver:
We had an 05 at work that behaved just as you describe, and the remedy was a new torque converter. It had around 70K on the odo at the time, but a lot of idling hours to go along with that.
Eventually, the trans died (well over 100K and 10000 engine hours).
The NV244 T case is pretty stout, so my vote is a trans related issue. How many miles on it, and has the trans been serviced regularly if at all?

Don
Interesting. The mileage is 162K and I barely can afford to do proper maintenance myself. As that I do not have a Chilton handy(Haynes is a poor excuse of a DIY manual that only gives partial information) to reference the two pieces of info I have been given I would like to know;
1 - Where is the Transfer Case located?
2 - Where is the Torque Converter located?
3 - And, how do I check both items to see if that is the case?
I just wish I still lived in Vegas where all of my mechanically inclined friends are at. I can do few things but I am by no means a guru of the magical wrench. I need all the help and advise I can get people.

·
Super Moderator
5,169 Posts
The torque converter is bolted to the flywheel; it's in the transmission housing. The transfer case will have the driveshafts attached to it. If you have zero gears at all to me it sounds more like transmission/TC. Have you tried putting it into 4-hi or 4-lo to listen for any engagement? Diagnosis is neither easy or cheap unfortunately. Geez I hate loud clunks and failures, sorry to hear it. Seat of the pants internet guess is torque converter like Guru Don has suggested.

You could drop the transmission pan and see if you have metal debris and chunkage in it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The torque converter is bolted to the flywheel; it's in the transmission housing. The transfer case will have the driveshafts attached to it. If you have zero gears at all to me it sounds more like transmission/TC. Have you tried putting it into 4-hi or 4-lo to listen for any engagement? Diagnosis is neither easy or cheap unfortunately. Geez I hate loud clunks and failures, sorry to hear it. Seat of the pants internet guess is torque converter like Guru Don has suggested.

You could drop the transmission pan and see if you have metal debris and chunkage in it.
Thanks for the locale info. Now, as for switching from 4-hi to 4-lo(and I am hoping that it's the AWD/4WD knob of which you speak of), yes, I did do that after restarting my engine and placing it in drive with my foot on the brake. I was hoping on high that it would work. But, no dice. If it's any consolation whenever the engine is running and I shift into drive it sounds a bit higher pitched.

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
Driver:
I agree with Dtan that the next step is to drop the pan and look for signs of trouble. If you are not comfortable doing that, biting the bullet and taking it somewhere is the way to go. Swapping in a good used lower mile trans may get you back on the road. A rebuild on your oem unit will likely run $2-2.5K. The rebuild swap would be about half or a bit less.

Don

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Driver:
I agree with Dtan that the next step is to drop the pan and look for signs of trouble. If you are not comfortable doing that, biting the bullet and taking it somewhere is the way to go. Swapping in a good used lower mile trans may get you back on the road. A rebuild on your oem unit will likely run $2-2.5K. The rebuild swap would be about half or a bit less.

Don
I have no problem looking to see if there are any chunky delights that are awaiting discovery. I have so much on my plate and I gotta wait for better weather conditions to do so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's AWD/4WD and no shaft is hanging down. Was able to get it pushed back into the driveway last night with the help of my daughter's fiancé and his friend. So, it may be the transfer case. When the clunk happened(which was pretty loud and i felt it) it came from the front. Wow, FML......
Okay, so I went out to my Durango and looked at the knob and it has AWD/4Lock. And also found out that my TC is the NV144. Still haven't dropped the pan yet but I may be doing it this Thursday morining. I am hoping that there are no chunks in there. Does anybody have an extra NV144 TC they won't need? lol

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
Driver:
With the NV-144 you don't have the low range. If your TC is indeed shot, consider swapping in a 244HD to replace it. I think it can be done.
I still have my money on the trans/converter being your problem.

Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts