Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started 2 Weeks ago. Hard to start intermittently(whether it’s cold, warm, or was just running at normal temps). Rough Idle
and occasionally sputters and dies at low RPMs when in park or low speed(like pulling into a driveway).
Replaced so far:
IAC
IAT Sensor
MAP Sensor
Fuel Pressure Reading at 60~ psi
Did Plugs and Injectors 2 Months Ago
Read the thread that other guy put up from a few years back as well.
Missing something? Or something I should do first?
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2,931 Posts
If it's not fairly new, have the battery load tested before you throw any more parts in. You may have a failing battery, that can cause all you are seeing, and more.

Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don! Thanks, Ill get that tested today. I would feel like such a dingus if thats the case. Ill update later.

·
Premium Member
2,931 Posts
We've all had a trip or two to Dingusville. I think it's one stop after Willoughby (for Twilight Zone fans).
If your current one fails the load test, before you hook up the new one, leave the cables disconnected, and depress the brake pedal 30 seconds. Then reconnect, and fire it up. Let it idle for 4-5 minutes before you touch anything to allow the onboard systems to enjoy the strong, stable reference voltage the new battery will supply.

Don

·
Premium Member
2,931 Posts
Darn!
I was hoping you were up for a new battery. I can't start to recall how many folks we have had here with issues like your, and the remedy was a new battery. How many miles on your D?
Have you checked for any trouble codes via the key dance?

Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the engine has just over 100k and everything else, sans a few replacements and repairs is at 190k. Performed all general maintenance and such with the manual and she’s driven like a dream up to this point.

Just the codes I’ve pulled off my OBDII reader. Will that show different stuff?

·
Premium Member
2,931 Posts
What codes have you been seeing? Were the sensors that went back in oem?

Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only P0172 and 175, Nothing else has been popping up. No Ive been just going with autozone stuff. There issues with compatibility? I've replaced other sensors with non-oem before and haven't run into issues.

·
Premium Member
2,931 Posts
Take a look here:

Have you checked the air filter? It seems you have too much fuel, and not enough air.

Re the sensors, Dodge/Chrysler products can be picky. We generally recommend oem. Do you by chance have the old sensors that you could swap back in one at time. You know that all of those can't be bad at once.

Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Air filter doesn't look too bad but its a cheap swap to put a newer one in.
Sadly only the MAP Sensor and its super gunked and dirty that I wouldn't want to. I was planning on putting new CAT's on so might just do all my O2 sensors when I do that. I also have a TPS on hand. I doubt there is a PCM update for the D.

·
Premium Member
2,931 Posts
Given the codes you are seeing, if the 02's are original at 190K, I would change those with oem parts. I would save the converters for down the road. I don't believe what you are seeing involves them. Possibly the coolant sensor is wonky, and the computer thinks the engine is running cold, thus throwing extra but unneeded fuel in.
Since the engine was swapped at some point, how recent was that? Has the trans been shifting strangely?
If so, the TPS may be on it's way out.

Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It looks like theres 4 o2's(and their all the same Part #s) and since I already have the cat I figured it be easy to put the 4 on and mount it all up together. Thoughts?
The engine was swapped in at 87k, right after I bought it. The techs didn't catch some heavy corrosion causing water intrusion in the engine. The trans feels like it has for as long as I've owned it. Did a fluid drain and fill maybe 15k ago. Didn't feel any different.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts