Dodge Durango Forum banner

'04 slt transmission

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  StangeRango 
#1 ·
Hi fellow Durango owners, I've got an 04 SLT with 208k miles on her. She is a has been passed around to those needing a vehicle - some of her carers did not do thier job and now I'm stuck trying to keep her alive!

Her transmission fluid is beyond low but because of her high mileage NO ONE will even take her in to look at my options. I'm positive she hasn't had a fluid change in the last 100k and I'm curious what I should do!?

There is too much on the net to get a definitive answer on which (draining/flushing/adding fluid) to do and I really really want to do my best to get her to the end of her life, happily.

Do I just add fluid myself? Do I need to add a little at a time to keep the "good" particles a higher percentage or can I add the 7 qts at once?

Please help keep our Dolly alive!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

#2 ·
If it's low on fluid don't drive it or you will ruin the tranny. If you don't know it's history and it seems to shift okay then do a fluid and filter change. You might get more life from it. If shops don't want to own the tranny if it fails after a fluid change just tell them that you'll sign a waiver of no warranty.

Reactions: Don Fox
#3 ·
Thanks Tim Foil Hat.

For clarification, I don't believe there is even enough fluid in there for a change and it does not shift gears properly.

It started occasionally jumping at gear shifts about a hundred miles ago; I've been trying to get help since then but couldn't not drive her. She was running just fine til a red light and then upon starting, I had no power whatsoever & barely got her home around the corner, cruising at maybe 2 mph.

I will go the waiver route and see if there are any takers to at least fill her up and don't worry, I'm not dumb enough to try and drive it right now!

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.

#4 ·
Why have you never added fluid if it's low and not shifting correctly? That is how you will save it a make it driveable until you get it serviced.

#5 ·
Agreed. I wrongly assumed that family was taking care of maintenance and started asking questions last week after the first gut wrenching shift.

I took her in after the first weird shifting, I was told I needed a flush asap- that garage did not do transmission flushes and sent me elsewhere, where they wouldn't service due to mileage. I've been to or contacted every transmission shop in the city and both Dodge dealerships and they all kinda giggle, skoff and say no dice. And then, upon researching more after taking to shops, I got mixed reviews on which I should do to not ruin the tranny - simply add fluid? Drain & replace? Flush? So, I figured I'd ask you all, who might have been thru this with success and actually get a definitive answer on what I should do, having not enough fluid for a drain and "knowing" that a flush is probably a horrible idea!

#7 ·
There's nothing wrong with adding fluid to the full mark when hot. You can't make it any worse. Do the filter and fluid change and see what happens, especially what metal might be in the pan or filter. Then, if it still won't shift right I'd sell the car and be done with it.

Reactions: Don Fox
#9 ·
Generally, if the tranny is damaged, there will be particles floating in the oil on the dipstick and the oil will be Indian red to brown in color (is that racist). The capacity should be 10.5 to 11 quarts and if you are down 2, it can affect shifting so if the oil looks clean, top it up and see what happens.

#11 ·
That's part of my problem trying to figure it out - there are many, super visible particles in there and it's real dark and dirty so, I'm half scared to do anything without solid advice! And, we all know the resale value is less than a tranny rebuild so, I'm just trying to get her as many more miles I can!

#12 ·
DD:
Re adding the needed fluid, is the dipstick showing anything at present? If not, I would add half a quart at a time until you see fluid at the 3/4 mark, engine off. At that point, start the engine and recheck. Remember that ATF expands as it warms up. The level should drop when you start it. Continue to add fluid until it's back to/near halfway, then run the gear selector through the gears while sitting still. Let it continue to warm a bit. You don't want to overfill, because removing fluid is not easy, lol. Once you get a consistent reading in the midway to full area, I would run it around the block a few times, and see how it shifts. You might get lucky, or you might be SOL.

Don

Reactions: DuRonbo
#14 ·
High miles don't get high prices, especially on old models. My '05 Grand Caravan with 126K gets an offer of $500 but the thing runs great.

Reactions: DuRonbo
#15 ·
Yep.

My 2008 Hemi Limited 4x2 with all options and 195,000 miles has a $3106-$5411 private party selling range. Average private party selling value of $4,249 in "Good" condition on KBB.com. Paid $2800 for it 3 years ago. Would I see $4,249 for it if I listed for sale? I doubt it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.