Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 durango slt.. I'm trying to figure out if I have rear wheel bearings going bad.. I jacked it up today and both rear wheels have an in and out movement I'd say roughly 1/4 inch left was a little more.. What lead me to this was when going around corners it felt like rear end would hop.. Anybody with knowledge on this any help would be appreciated.. Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a 2004 durango slt.. I'm trying to figure out if I have rear wheel bearings going bad.. I jacked it up today and both rear wheels have an in and out movement I'd say roughly 1/4 inch left was a little more.. What lead me to this was when going around corners it felt like rear end would hop.. Anybody with knowledge on this any help would be appreciated.. Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
1,839 Posts
Triplicating your post won't speed up the response. Just be patient, you'll get one.

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Rok:
It's unusual, but not unheard of, for rear wheel bearings to fail, on a solid rear axle. The movement you describe, seems normal to me. The axles ride on outer, and inner (carrier) bearings. The movement, is from the "play" where the axle end rests inside the carrier, with a "C" clip inserted to keep it from walking out of the housing, lol.

The hopping you describe, could be failed rear shocks. How many miles on your D, and are the shocks original?

Don

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
180k on my durango and I'm in Minnesota so that seems likely.. I also noticed that the driver side rear is about an inch lower that passenger.. It looks really clean underneath nothing broke.. Has a squeak over bumps as well.. Probably an extra 200 pound of subs back there as well..

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
If the shocks are oem at 180k, they are a good 100K+ beyond worn out. I recommend the Bilsteins. They are not too pricey, and will firm up the ride a bit.

Don

Reactions: DuRonbo

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Rok;
If you have not done it yet, consider doing a drain/refill on both the front a rear diff with a good synthetic gear oil. While you could pump it out of the fill hole on the inspection cover, I'd remove the cover. That way, you can see how much metal if any is down in the bottom. You will find some very fine shavings, but there should not be any chunks lol.

Don

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rok;
If you have not done it yet, consider doing a drain/refill on both the front a rear diff with a good synthetic gear oil. While you could pump it out of the fill hole on the inspection cover, I'd remove the cover. That way, you can see how much metal if any is down in the bottom. You will find some very fine shavings, but there should not be any chunks lol.

Don
I have not done that but rear end was serviced at 100,000 miles.. I replaced rear shocks drives way better but now seems like front is just as bad. Not sure where to start

1 - 10 of 10 Posts