Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased an '04 Hemi Durango that hydro-locked on my wife at the store and we had to tow home. I have a fair amount of experience on working on vehicles and just now starting my research. I have seen prices anywhere from $2,200 to $3,500 dollars. The main difference being the warranty offered from 1 year/12,000 to 3 year unlimited. The one I am looking at is from Promar Precision Engines. Has anyone used them or heard of them? I found them on Ebay.

The second question is about removal of the engine. Does anyone have any photos or videos of their removal or can you point me in the direction of some? I have seen most people take it out from the top. I have access to a lift. Has anyone had ever taken it out the bottom or know if it would be any easier? I haven't worked on the Durango before so I am trying to learn a little before hand. I am hoping to get started on it in November after cross country season ends. I am a teacher and coach with two kids, so I don't have as much time to work as them as I would like. Thank you for advice in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I just reasoned through the second part of the question. It is on a truck frame, so I doubt it would slide between the frame rails very easily if at all.

·
Super Moderator
5,176 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Would love to see some pics of the D's.

I don't have any advice to offer about what you've asked, but I will say that a poorly designed cowl seems to have caused hydro lock on several of the early gen 2 D's here. They changed the design in 07 when they did the dront end refresh, and if you're going to replace the engine in the 04, you'll probably want to invest in the updated cowl as well.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Pretty straight forward swapping an engine out. Making sure electrical, exhaust, hoses and trains torque converter disconnected.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Engine will have to come out the top. I am not sure I would call it completely straight forward, but it is a manageable job. Pull the front wheels off and inner fenders right away in order to get to things easier. There is an inspection plate that can be a huge pain in the ass that has to come off. Getting it unbolted is not the problem, but getting it actually out can be a headache to find the right angle. Plan to replace the intake as well as the wiper cowl. There is a reason why Dodge quit covering repairs on new engines that reused the old intake, and there is something wrong with the intake beyond just new seals that allows the hydro-lock to happen. I would budget at least an additional $800 beyond cost of engine alone. With that being said if you can not get a great deal on an engine you may want to just want to write this one off. My engine was rebuildable and I still spent 2k.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I have seen on a few posts with a similar problem about the cowl. That is ridiculous that that even happens. My wife loves her Durango and doesn't want to let it go. I also don't want to spend the money on another vehicle. I figured it would cost about 4K to fix, but if I replace the cowl and intake as you all suggest I hope I don't have any more problems. I have priced several options. A local shop wanted $3500 to rebuild and only offered a one year warranty. I did find some cheaper places around $2500 and offer a similar warranty. The one place I am looking at is in between at a little over $3000, but it offers a 3 year warranty. Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
33 Posts
One extra thing you can try is when you do install the new cowl, run a bead of black silicone under the rubber strip that runs along the bottom of the windsheild. That way it is a sealed better and if you need remove the cowl to service the wipers you can still get it off with out too much extra effort.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you do not have a hole in the block, and you just broke a connecting rod then you are a lucky one. Would be in the same situation as me where you can get the job done for under 2k if you do it all yourself. Considerably less if you wanted to, but if you are doing all that work makes since to do things like water pump, all bearings, starter, timing kit, honing the cylinders, and even things as small as new plugs add up. While some gaskets are reusable on the hemi still some you have to replace as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts