Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, where do I start......

Went out to start the D, nothing! I had radio, climate, dash lights. I didn't have any trouble codes and no blown fuses. There wasn't a security light on but I went ahead and made sure the key was properly programmed. I also ran test to try and figure out what is going on. I have chased wires and looked over pin out sheets for the pcm, bcm, ect. Everything has seemed to test ok. I have checked all grounds to ensure that I didn't have a faulty ground. I still had nothing. I ended up getting a different pcm and installed it. It started up and ran for 2-3 seconds before dieing. It did it for 2-3 cycles then back to square one. Hooked up scanner and began going through the motions. Checking the Skim, Checking VIN, Programming new PCM. Everything checked out good but still no crank/start. I did forget to mention that with the key on, I can jump the starter relay and get the engine to crank over but still doesn't start. I have tried different ignition switches, relays, fuses, even a different bcm and still can't get it do crank/start. I do hear the fuel pump relay engage when I turn the ignition and I also can hear the starter relay click but nothing happens. I have taken it to the dealer and they have checked the security and anything that I could have missed. They are as stumped as I am. I have another pcm coming Monday but not 100% its going to fix my problem. Also want to add that I have a very strong battery along with a strong starter. Both have been tested. Any help or ideas where to go from here would be greatly apperciated.

·
Premium Member
3,488 Posts
W1n:
From your description, I believe the security system has to be involved. Since you can jump the relay, and get it to crank, and you say battery and starter are both strong, it's go to be an electrical glitch. When the engine starts and then dies within 2-3 seconds, that is classic for the key not being recognized. After 3-4 tries, the system figures you are up to no good.

How many miles on it, and what engine?

Don

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's 260k miles. And the motor it has is a 4.7l. But here's the catch, I have already been to the dealer regarding the security issue and the skim says the key is programmed.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
1,444 Posts
You towed it to the dealer and they diagnosed the key is programmed? Then you towed it back?

I agree with Don that the Sentry/Skim is interfering.

You say you replaced the PCM and started getting the start/run/stop condition? The VIN in the PCM needs to match the SKREEM(WCM) along with it's PIN.

Note: If a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is replaced on a vehicle equipped with the Sentry Key Immobilizer
System (SKIS), the unique Secret Key data must be transferred from the Sentry Key REmote Entry
Module (SKREEM) to the new PCM using the PCM replacement procedure. This procedure also requires the
use of a diagnostic scan tool and the unique four-digit PIN code to enter the Secured Access Mode in the
SKREEM. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information for the proper PCM replacement procedures.

Your description is confusing as i think you have steps you've taken out of place with the actual work done.

Reactions: Don Fox

·
Premium Member
3,488 Posts
Let us recall, lol, that a number of '04 Durangos (to include mine) left the factory with defective WIN modules. You say that the key is programmed, but are we sure that the system is recognizing it? As DuRon says, the new PCM allowed it to start, but without proper info being entered in, the system goes into nanny mode, and shuts the car back down.

I wonder if the remedy to your issue is indeed the new pcm, but for it to work the secret data key mentioned above must be entered?

Don

Reactions: DuRonbo

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
1,444 Posts
Could have a bad SKREEM module (WCM/WIN) the one with the antenna ring that surrounds the ignition switch and reads the Transponder key. (Sentry).

Like Don says the WCM was problematic for the 2004 year Durangos. Not accepting new new keys, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok to clarify everything that has been done. I originally had factory pcm. I check the skim module and made sure the vin and key matched and were both registered. Still same symptom. Then I got a new pcm and repeated the process and did a pcm replacement along with checking the vin. I them made sure that the skim key was being recognized. Still the same symptom. So I took it to a dodge dealer where one of my buddies work and had them plug into it and checked everything out and they flat out told me they had no clue. So yes I took it back home to save the cost of hrs of diagnosis at the dealership that I could do myself. And yet after that , no check engine light and same symptom. No crank and no start. I have checked all the input signals at the pcm and such. I starti g to believe that there is an issue wht the pcm that I have. If its not that the. I have not a single clue as to where I need to go next for diagnosis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
* mind you there is no security light on the dash other than initial ignition switch movement

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there
I have a dodge Durango 2013.
The low gear signal appears sometimes on the speed mile screen. When it appears, it keeps flashing on and off. If it appears while driving and I stop at a traffic light and put the gear on Neutral, the car shifts to Low mode by itself and it gets struck there for a few minutes. The shifting key doesn't work at this point.

·
Premium Member
3,488 Posts
W1N:
Have you tried a battery reset along the way? Just for giggles, remove the negative terminal, depress brake pedal 30 seconds, and then reconnect and try to fire it up. Do you live in a country setting? Amy chance rodent(s) may have gotten into the wiring under the hood at some point? The sudden onset of this issue make me think the problem should not be too complex, just hard to discover.

Don

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I disconnected the battery and the low gear switch also then I connected it back. Hopefully, this will reset the settings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
W1N:
Have you tried a battery reset along the way? Just for giggles, remove the negative terminal, depress brake pedal 30 seconds, and then reconnect and try to fire it up. Do you live in a country setting? Amy chance rodent(s) may have gotten into the wiring under the hood at some point? The sudden onset of this issue make me think the problem should not be too complex, just hard to discover.

Don
I have indeed done a battery reset along the way. Still nothing. Today I'm supposed to get another pcm from the junkyard to see if there is a problem with they one that i currently have in my D. I have also traced wires and looked for any broken connections or wires that might be causing an issue and I have also checked for power directly at pcm. I have also had someone hit the key when I'm checking those powers at the pcm and I have verified power being sent through. I have figured this out, if I use my power probe and ground out the signal wire that goes to the pcm that I can get it to crank over with the key but still no start. So with that being said, there is something that is causing the pcm to not ground that circuit to allow the starter relay to work properly. But what really has me puzzled also is that when I first turn the ignition switch on, I can hear the fuel pump cycle, which tells me that the pcm is grounding that circuit otherwise the fuel pump relay wouldn't work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok everyone, Problem Solved. I ended up getting that used pcm from the junk yard and got home with it and plugged it in. Fired right up! No check engine lights and no security issues. There must have been a short or something inside the pcm that caused the starting system to malfunction. The crazy part about this whole journey, is that everything else related to the pcm worked fine and didn't throw any codes. Still has me puzzled as to what happened to the original pcm but at least it runs now. Thanks for everyone's input in helping me try and diagnose my issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts