Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m wondering if anyone else is having some of the same issues I am, or if anyone has any insights into what might be causing them.

After my Durango has been running for about 5 to 10 minutes, the audio drops out for about a second at a time, every so often—sometimes every 10 seconds, or every two minutes. Happens on every audio source, including phone calls.

Also, on occasion, but usually on longer drives the gauge cluster will flicker off for about a second and then come right back on. The digital displays go black, and the physical gauges (tach, gas, etc) dip down, then come back up.

Additionally, every few times I start up, the engine will crank about a half turn and stop. When I push start again, it starts up. I wondered at first if I wasn’t pushing the start button firmly enough, but I was.

Finally, while the audio and gauge cluster issues were happening, I switched to the battery indicator, and it mostly showed 15 volts, with occasional 14v or 16v for a fraction of a second.

I installed a new battery back in October, but I didn’t notice these things occurring right away, so I’m not sure they’re related. From google, I’m wondering if it’s the alternator?

I appreciate any thoughts you all can offer. This forum has helped me with so many things on the past.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just got battery checked out and it's fine. I'm taking it in to the dealer under Maxcare warranty next week. Fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Pitbull:
How many miles on your D?
Keep up posted. I wonder if your alternator is on the way out.

Don

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pitbull:
How many miles on your D?
Keep up posted. I wonder if your alternator is on the way out.

Don
Hi Don, I'm at about 93,000 miles, and still on the original alternator. I'm taking it in on Wednesday, and will report back.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the Durango back the other day. Dealer initially tried to blame the battery, but later confirmed it was the alternator. Even with a new one, it sits at about 14v at idle, which the service tech said was a little high. But it's no longer fluctuating wildly. The electrical gremlins I was experiencing (audio dropouts and flickering gauge cluster) seem to have gone away.

While I had it in the shop, I had them check for a third time a coolant smell I keep sensing after most drives. Found a crack or hole in the radiator, so they replaced that.

Also had them check for the second time a clunking sound coming from the front left when going over potholes. They found and replaced a failed shock.

This $2,500 bill cost me only the $100 deductible on the lifetime Maxcare warranty. Being steered toward that from the readers here has already paid for itself twice-over.

·
Registered
2014 Durango Limited V-6 / AWD
1,203 Posts
This $2,500 bill cost me only the $100 deductible on the lifetime Maxcare warranty. Being steered toward that from the readers here has already paid for itself twice-over.
I need my Durango to last forever since they no longer offer the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
2013 Durango R/T 5.7 - Black w/blackout package
261 Posts
If any of your issues come back any time soon, be sure to come back here and post it up so the next person doesn't just buy an alternator to try to solve issues. But......glad to hear you may have found your answer.

I swear the factory installs gremlins and ghosts in these things just to drive us all crazy and give us reasons to get on the forums....:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If any of your issues come back any time soon, be sure to come back here and post it up so the next person doesn't just buy an alternator to try to solve issues. But......glad to hear you may have found your answer.

I swear the factory installs gremlins and ghosts in these things just to drive us all crazy and give us reasons to get on the forums....:)
I'll definitely keep you posted.

One gremlin they've never fixed is the audio issue where you have to turn the volume over 10 and touch anything on the equalizer to get it to sound clear. I do that adjustment every single time I drive the Durango.

And I only recently learned of the fix for the capless gas filler (invert the nozzle).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
14v is normal as you are measuring the output of the alternator when the DD is running. If it put out 12v your battery would never charge. My Ram puts out 14.2v
Good to know. Would be good for the service advisor to know that, too, I suppose.

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
PB:
It's great to hear you are back on the road, and with a big ol bunch of repairs done for $100! I imagine your warranty is close to, if not already paid for itself. It's nice when you can have multiple repairs done under the same deductible.
Thankfully, your dealer is not one of those that thinks the deductible is $100 per repaired item.

Don

Reactions: Moose135
1 - 13 of 13 Posts