Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Full Size Spare

Durango Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    153 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Limited AWD V6 Premium, Safe/Conveniece & Tow packages, Opt7 LED fog lamps, HD V8 brakes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase300 View Post
    Not with a Hemi Citadel or R/T...tow package is just a hitch and full size spare tire.
    Only V6 engines get those upgraded parts.
    Seeing the tow package option is the same price ($995) for either V6 or Hemi yet the only additions the factory makes to Hemi's is a Hitch and Full size spare, I'd say its a rip for Hemi owners and a bargain and must have for V6 owners if towing.

Hemi owners can easily add after the fact...V6's not so much.
    That is the real difference here.
    ^ Agreed. That is why I insisted on finding a V6 model with the factory installed tow package when I went looking for my Durango.
    Chase300 likes this.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Before I bought my Durango I read that all R/T’s come with a full size spare. So at least for an R/T the only components needed for a tow package were getting the harness and having it activated by the dealer and the hitch installed. And the hitch cover if you wanted it. Not even close to worth $995. $300 or so maybe.

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Dodge Durango R/T aka "Altered Carbon"
    Mods
    Yokohama Parada Spec-X 295/45r20's on 20 x 10, WeatherTech inside & out, Tazer, Jay Greene Tune
    I was able to stuff a "full size" spare by modifying the white plastic holder. I needed a 295/45R20 non directional tire on a 20 x 10 Monkey Spider rim so it too would clear the Brembo calipers.

Engine Mods:
    aFe CAI, Moe's 87mm TB, Edelbrock Victor II intake manifold, Kooks LT headers w/race cats, Borla S catback, A2Speed valve covers, Granatelli coil packs, Billet Technology catchcan & water neck, 180 deg TS, Mopar oil cooler

Suspension Upgrades:
    BlackOps adjustable front upper a-arms, adjustable rear control arms, endlinks, strut brace & Road Magnet lowering springs
    Chrome Brakes® rotors, Brembo calipers, Hawk ceramic pads, 3.70 front & rear diffs

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Durango Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    153 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Limited AWD V6 Premium, Safe/Conveniece & Tow packages, Opt7 LED fog lamps, HD V8 brakes
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMLS View Post
    I was able to stuff a "full size" spare by modifying the white plastic holder. I needed a 295/45R20 non directional tire on a 20 x 10 Monkey Spider rim so it too would clear the Brembo calipers.
    So that means SRT comes with run flats from the factory, correct?

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeaconBlue View Post
    ^ Agreed. That is why I insisted on finding a V6 model with the factory installed tow package when I went looking for my Durango.
    ^ Trust me you would rather have the hemi than all that other stuff lol
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________

2018 Durango R/T

White Knuckle
    Blacktop Package
    Technology Group
    Tow Package

Mods are coming......

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    2017 Durango
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase300 View Post
    Hemi owners can easily add after the fact...V6's not so much.
    You actually can't add the "Factory" hitch after the fact (At least not easily). So if you want the hitch after the fact you need to put on the bolt on hitch below the bumper. I would 100% prefer the in bumper hitch because it's higher and looks way nicer.

Of course $900 would be a bit much for that, so I would probably still end up going with the crappy hitch.

Member #
    Liked
    447 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Limited V-6 AWD Max Steel
    Quote Originally Posted by LXSandman View Post
    You actually can't add the "Factory" hitch after the fact (At least not easily). So if you want the hitch after the fact you need to put on the bolt on hitch below the bumper. I would 100% prefer the in bumper hitch because it's higher and looks way nicer.

Of course $900 would be a bit much for that, so I would probably still end up going with the crappy hitch.
    No, you can put the OEM hitch on with just a little work. You need to take the rear bumper cover off, but it's not that much work. Forum member SuperPete did a video of his install. He doesn't use the factory wiring, but you can see how easy it is to install the factory hitch.

https://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/...tructions.html
    LXSandman likes this.

Durango Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    153 times
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by durango_RT View Post
    ^ Trust me you would rather have the hemi than all that other stuff lol
    No if I want to drive a fast car, I will just drive my Corvette that day. I truly wanted the V6 Durango because of the better gas mileage (averaging 20-21 MPG with a 50/50 combined commute based on true calculations, not the overly optimistic dash readings) plus I did not need yet another "project car". If I had gotten the V8, then I would have been too tempted to start modifying it for even more power. Heck knowing me I probably would have tried to drop a Hellcat in the darn thing
    Last edited by DeaconBlue; 10-19-2018 at 03:06 PM.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    2017 Durango
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose135 View Post
    No, you can put the OEM hitch on with just a little work. You need to take the rear bumper cover off, but it's not that much work. Forum member SuperPete did a video of his install. He doesn't use the factory wiring, but you can see how easy it is to install the factory hitch.

https://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/...tructions.html
    Well... That is pretty amazing actually. I thought you needed you had to do more work then that. Now I'm feeling bad about my crappy looking hitch.
    Moose135 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    My 14RT has a full size spare, same width and diameter as the 20” but with a taller profile since it’s on a 18” steel wheel. It’s a regular tire, not temp use only. You’re supposed to fit the disabled wheel in there so a matching 20” wheel as a spare should work. My question is for people who went with bigger tires. I switched to 275/55R20 and it’s a bit taller. What do you guys use as a spare and is there enough clearance? Having AWD I’m not sure about using the factory spare if I get a flat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links