Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By scooterguy5000

Thread: Towing mode

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I have a 2018 R/T and a brand new TT (Apex Nano 208BHS, 3095lbs dry), waiting to be picked up at the dealership in May. It’s been a torturous wait, but since this will be my first towing experience, I can benefit from the extra time to research and prepare.

One thing I realized I’m not prepared for, is I’m not sure what drive modes to tow in. On older D models there was an actual tow/haul mode button. But I don’t see any such setting on mine, despite having a dealership-flashed and enabled tow harness. I gather that is something they got rid of for later models?

If so, then what settings/modes should I be towing in? Automatic/manual? If manual, then how should I be gearing on hills/flats? Eco mode: On or Off? I’m guessing Sport Mode is inadvisable (LOL). What about cruise control: On or Off?
    Last edited by shanksworthy; 03-14-2019 at 06:41 AM.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Vehicle
    2016 DD R/T
    Assuming your trailer has electronic brakes, you will need a brake controller. There are two types, time-delay and proportional. I have a proportional (Tekonsha P3) on my Durango, and when towing, I just drive normal, with the knowledge that my stopping distance is a little increased. Just let the Durango do its thing...
    RangoLimited likes this.
    2016 R/T

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I can't help with the tow/haul question because my 2011 has a tow/haul button (might be part of the tow package, i have no idea). I'm towing a Grey Wolf TT, using an E2 WDH and a brake controller (don't recall the brand). I've towed w/ cruise control on and my only observation is that mine didn't handle hills very well. It waited too long to downshift, and couldn't get back up to speed. I use it all the time on flat road. My economy light never comes on while towing, so I would guess Eco Off for yours. And make sure your brake controller is adjusted correctly before getting out on the road. Picked our TT up in Oct 2017, Dealer installed and adjusted both WDH and brake controller. Left dealer, and 100 yards later I was approaching a stop sign at a 4 lane highway. That trailer almost pushed me through the stop sign.
    Anyway, have fun with the camper.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Vehicle
    2016 DD R/T
    Quote Originally Posted by millmitch View Post
    I can't help with the tow/haul question because my 2011 has a tow/haul button (might be part of the tow package, i have no idea). I'm towing a Grey Wolf TT, using an E2 WDH and a brake controller (don't recall the brand). I've towed w/ cruise control on and my only observation is that mine didn't handle hills very well. It waited too long to downshift, and couldn't get back up to speed. I use it all the time on flat road. My economy light never comes on while towing, so I would guess Eco Off for yours. And make sure your brake controller is adjusted correctly before getting out on the road. Picked our TT up in Oct 2017, Dealer installed and adjusted both WDH and brake controller. Left dealer, and 100 yards later I was approaching a stop sign at a 4 lane highway. That trailer almost pushed me through the stop sign.
    Anyway, have fun with the camper.
    sounds like you may have the time-delay brake controller. Basically just sends a predetermined percentage of braking to the trailer brakes.

I have towed with both, and my proportional controller is fantastic, definitely suggest getting one. It has an accelerometer in it and will always vary the amount of braking sent to the trailer depending on how much brake pressure you apply. With any controller, you should always get in the habit of adjusting it when you tow something of a different weight -- even your same trailer with different weight in it.
    2016 R/T

Member #
    Liked
    1565 times
    Vehicle
    2007 and 2014 5.7L Grand Cherokees
    The accelerometer/proportional brake controllers are pretty much the gold standard these days.. like the Tekonsha P3..

As scooter says, you do need to make sure you have it adjusted correctly.

The 2018 trans does not have a tow mode, it does fine in 'drive' .. I don't think eco mode will make much difference with the V8, I would probably switch it off.. but probably not a big deal.
    If I am a good man and sure in all my ways
    The captain of a starship that's homeward bound today
    --
    14 JGC Deep Cherry Overland 5.7L
    07 JGC Red Rock Limited 5.7L
    And some past Durangos
    de W1PF

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I also have a Tekonsha P3, so no problems there. Just wondering what gear selections and drive modes are recommended for towing.

Does anyone have experience with this on a newer (2016+) model Durango?

Grasshopper
    Member #
    thank you for your response I was also looking for the answer of this question my confusion is cleared now. i have use this for Rite way towing now I am ready to go.

Sponsored Links