Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Weight distribution hitch and sway control

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Weight distribution hitch and sway control

I made a couple of posts in December of 2016 regarding our plans to get a Durango for my wife's use plus as a tow vehicle. Shortly after the posts, we got a nice 2015 Durango Limited AWD 3.6L with the trailer tow package. Based on comments in this forum, we got the Tekonsha P3 brake controller from eTrailer.

We still don't have the travel trailer. The model we are looking for is the Jayco 23B hybrid. It has a GVWR of 4950 lb and a tongue weight of 410 lb.

Having no experience towing a travel trailer, I am wondering if I need to get a weight distribution hitch, and if so, should I get the sway control feature also? Does anyone have a specific recommendation?

Thanks!
    Craig

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Durango R/T
    Mods
    Black Top/VES/LED Everything/Mopar Pedals/PlastiDiped Fogs Sorounds/Customtronix Bronze

Weight distribution hitch and sway control

Quote Originally Posted by cwilly8 View Post
    I made a couple of posts in December of 2016 regarding our plans to get a Durango for my wife's use plus as a tow vehicle. Shortly after the posts, we got a nice 2015 Durango Limited AWD 3.6L with the trailer tow package. Based on comments in this forum, we got the Tekonsha P3 brake controller from eTrailer.

We still don't have the travel trailer. The model we are looking for is the Jayco 23B hybrid. It has a GVWR of 4950 lb and a tongue weight of 410 lb.

Having no experience towing a travel trailer, I am wondering if I need to get a weight distribution hitch, and if so, should I get the sway control feature also? Does anyone have a specific recommendation?

Thanks!
    Craig
    We recently got our new travel trailer and I tow it with my 2015 RT with tow package. Weight and sway distribution hitch is highly recommended I would say necessary in order to pull that much weight. We got a Jayco 25bh is almost 6k pounds and 30 feet long Durango does well pulling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    282 times
    Vehicle
    '15 Dodge Durango RT
    Mods
    20" SRT rep rims, WT rain guards, Tazer, Dodge mud guards, front tint, Rhino rack, K&N intake
    100% yes, get the WDH with sway control. My last trip to maine, I remembered the WDH but totally forgot the sway control and wished I had it the whole way. I've towed my camper each way and will never go back. You won't regret it.
    2015 Durango RT true blue (mine)
    2015 Sienna XLE premium (hers)
    2014 Durango limited awd (gone)

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1568 times
    Vehicle
    2007 and 2014 5.7L Grand Cherokees
    Yes WDH required at that weight.

Something like a Reese SC hitch has integrated sway control, just hitch up and go.
    If I am a good man and sure in all my ways
    The captain of a starship that's homeward bound today
    --
    14 JGC Deep Cherry Overland 5.7L
    07 JGC Red Rock Limited 5.7L
    And some past Durangos
    de W1PF

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Durango R/T
    WDH highly recommended. I have the Equalizer 4 Point system which has built in sway control. Don't forget to add WDH weight to the tongue weight. My numbers are hitch tongue capacity 720lbs (factory installed) 10,000lbs hitch capacity, and it weighs 88lbs.
    2015 Dodge Durango R/T
    2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
    Equalizer 4 Point WDH

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    From what I have read, it is best not to get a WDH that is rated much more than the trailer. So with a GTW of around 5000 lb and a TW of around 500 lb, here is a link to the Reese 49902 Pro Series. It is rated for a GTW of 10,000 lb and a TW of 750 lb. Seems like a good match for a Durango with a tow capacity of 6,200 lb. Comments?

https://www.amazon.com/49902-Pro-Com...h+sway+control

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    746 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Citadel Hemi, 2001 SLT+4.7L
    Mods
    4.7L HO cams, Fastman TB, Superchips, R/T rims, Street Scene front bumper cover
    A WDH must be a travel trailer thing as I've never needed one with any of my boats I've pulled, even my last 30' boat.
    Never had any sway issues at highway speeds.

Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi AWD
    Mods
    Spectre CAI, Osram Zivo LED tail lights and back up lights., Weathertech floor liners, Blastin Bobs
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase300 View Post
    A WDH must be a travel trailer thing as I've never needed one with any of my boats I've pulled, even my last 30' boat.
    Never had any sway issues at highway speeds.
    It is in a way becuase of the way the travel trailers are weighted, plus the drag they produce behind a vehicle. Typically unless your pulling a big cabin cruiser or pontoon boat your not going to need one with a boat.
    Ed "Cannonball" L.

2013 Dodge Durango Citadel AWD Hemi
    Brilliant Black Crystal P/C

Mods to date: Spectre CAI, OSRAM Zivo LED tail/brake/reverse lights, Weathertech floor liners. Blastin Bobs Resonator Deletes. Partsam LED fog bulbs. Plum Crazy plastidip painted chin spoiler.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Here's another Pro Series model with a TW rating of 550 lb, which would be closer to actual TW of the trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-49901-Com...+control+49901

For a trailer with an unloaded TW of 410 lb, would it be better to get the 49902 (TW rating of 750) or the 49901 (TW rating of 550)? Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    521 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Dodge Durango RT AWD
    Mods
    Whipple 2.9L Supercharger, Magnaflow cat-back, Tuned by Peitz Performance Tunes
    My 2014 owner's manual (page 127--Trailer Towing Weights) says that loads over 3500lbs require a weight distribution hitch.

Based on the recommendations of tomk and Lauren I got a Reese WD/SC hitch with 800lb bars: find it here. I'm very happy with how it tows and I recommend it because it is easy to hook up and you have such flexibility for install options.
    -Bryan

2014 Durango RT: Road Magnet springs, 2.9L Whipple, Magnaflow cat-back, ARH LT headers, tuned by Peitz Performance Tunes (No Updated Time Yet)

2006 Charger SRT8: Nitrous Outlet plate w/ 100hp shot, Paramount trans and 2800 converter, Getrag 3.91, tuned by Peitz Performance Tunes. (11.809 @ 116.15 mph)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links