Dodge Durango Forum banner

I want to lower a 2001 Durango RT awd

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Rat Patrol 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what I need to lower my 2001 awd RT about 4 up front and 6 inches in the rear

#4 ·
No..can't remember been a few years since I looked into it and since its been discontinued.
Was simply the best kit out there and greatly improved handling..like a sports car. Knew someone near me who had it installed on his R/T.

Probably can find some other kits out there..the Hotchkit kit came with sway bars, front coil springs, rear leaf springs and Bilstein shocks. I remember it being a 2/3 drop from a stock R/T.

I'd just do a search for other options.

#5 ·
no coils on the front of the AWD D. the best way to drop it is to turn down the torsion bars, but be careful, the bump stops will hit the control arms if you go too low. I replaced mine with aftermarket bump stops and cut them to the height I wanted. you could get a little more drop if you cut off the bump stop caps when you go aftermarket. For the rear, you put a block between the springs and axle to drop it.
you will get a softer ride so get a gas charged shock up front.

#6 ·
I lowered my 99 4X4 5.9 Durango by cranking the torsion bars down 2" in front with 2" blocks in the rear. I cut the bump stops down front and rear. This is about as far as you can go cheaply and it will still bottom the stops on very big bumps. I have Bilsteins on it and not happy with the soft ride. I think it needs an adjustable shock set to stiff. The good news is you can pick up about a mile per gallon from lowering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.