Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: SRT Pet Peeves

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyb View Post
    Yeah, that's why we want the narrowest, all seasons, we can find. If we need to buy new rims so be it. Just want good stable tracking on any road condition. We spend about half our miles towing. So far we've just become used to the wander - we don't think it's dangerous. But when we get new tires we definitely will not get the same ones it came with.

thanks for your replies..
    All of my fat-tired performance cars have been "grabbed" all over the place on "rutted" pavement. There is a section of the beltway near my house that always takes me for a "ride." The SRT is an adequate tow vehicle but it is not an exceptional tow vehicle. It focuses more on the "S" of SUV than the "U." Replacing the performance tires with skinnies MAY improve the "grabbiness" that you are talking about, but it will significantly reduce the many performance qualities of the vehicle. Then you will have a powerful car that does nothing well. Crappy stopping, crappy handling, mediocre towing.....meh....

If you are towing 5K for half of your driving, you might want to consider a more utility-oriented SUV or truck rather than diluting your SRT....
    frictioncircle likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by drag racer View Post
    tried it - jams the vehicle into park right after you open the door!
    Quote Originally Posted by Booky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drag racer View Post
    tried it - jams the vehicle into park right after you open the door!

Did you try it with your seat belt on / engaged?

Yeah, it only works if your seatbelt is buckled....not sure what happens if you are trying to jump out of the car when a carjacker jumps into your passenger seat...lol....
    drag racer likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Vehicle
    2018 Durango SRT
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptMoe View Post
    Wait, i just remembered.
    No Spare Tire!!!
    I mean, I get it. Run flats. Fine. But how about making a spare tire standard just in case the owner can't afford to replace his run flats with run flats when it comes time to buy new tires. I think it's cheap to make a potential buyer cough up another $400 on a safety item.
    The spare tire comes standard with the tow package.
    drag racer likes this.
    2018 Durango SRT

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Vehicle
    2018 Durango SRT
    Mods
    Bone Stock
    1. when towing a trailer and trying to back it into a driveway, occasionally the collision prevention system kicks in because it thinks I'm backing into the trailer I'm towing. Freakin slams hard.
    2. the stupid safety mech that corrects your steering if you drift to close the the street lines. annoys the sh*t outta me when i'm changing lanes without a signal (yes... we all do it).

Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoAZ View Post
    1. when towing a trailer and trying to back it into a driveway, occasionally the collision prevention system kicks in because it thinks I'm backing into the trailer I'm towing. Freakin slams hard.
    2. the stupid safety mech that corrects your steering if you drift to close the the street lines. annoys the sh*t outta me when i'm changing lanes without a signal (yes... we all do it).
    Have you not turned them off?

You can also adjust sensitivity for the lane correction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CaptMoe likes this.
    2018 DDSRT
    2017 Chyrsler Pacifica Limited
    1966 Chevy Nova

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Vehicle
    18 ddsrt octane red standard interior 2nd row console standard wheels 3 season tires
    this is an unintended consequence peeve...without fail every crazy dude with a ram diesel goes nuts blowing massive soot clouds trying to keep up on the highway....

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by frictioncircle View Post
    this is an unintended consequence peeve...without fail every crazy dude with a ram diesel goes nuts blowing massive soot clouds trying to keep up on the highway....[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/images/smilies/icon_clap.gif[/IMG]
    YESSSS! So its not just me....I noticed the same thing and it never happens when I am driving non mopar vehicles......

Durango Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Vehicle
    2018 Durango SRT
    Quote Originally Posted by frictioncircle View Post
    this is an unintended consequence peeve...without fail every crazy dude with a ram diesel goes nuts blowing massive soot clouds trying to keep up on the highway....
    This morning I had about 5 cars trying to catch up and pass me. It was so obvious because once I got into my exit lane, they all slowed down...lol
    I was like, what the heck??

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 6104696 View Post
    All of my fat-tired performance cars have been "grabbed" all over the place on "rutted" pavement. There is a section of the beltway near my house that always takes me for a "ride." The SRT is an adequate tow vehicle but it is not an exceptional tow vehicle. It focuses more on the "S" of SUV than the "U." Replacing the performance tires with skinnies MAY improve the "grabbiness" that you are talking about, but it will significantly reduce the many performance qualities of the vehicle. Then you will have a powerful car that does nothing well. Crappy stopping, crappy handling, mediocre towing.....meh....

If you are towing 5K for half of your driving, you might want to consider a more utility-oriented SUV or truck rather than diluting your SRT....
    There is method to my madness that I'm sure applies to many others, so I will respond to this. The Durango SRT may not be as good at towing as a monster diesel truck but it's dang good and it's a far better daily driver for my wife, and it's the only car she has. The Durango is much more maneuverable in RV parks than a big truck, particularly for back-in spots with our trailer. My wife would hate having to drive a big, long wheel-base truck around all the time.

We wanted a mid-sized SUV that had the best tow capacity/capability and we believe this is it. We had a '14 Durango Hemi RT we traded in for the SRT, and had put a lot of towing miles on it, so we have a fair comparison. The tires on the RT were not "skinny", but a tad narrower than on the SRT. They did not grab. I know that with the better brakes on the SRT I can't go as narrow as the RT wheels/tires, so would end up with something in between. I don't believe this will adversely affect performance as much as you make it sound, particularly at the driving speeds we're talking about. I'm only talking about a small reduction in width, next time we buy tires. Not wavering around on the road would be an improvement in performance, IMO. Anyone who thinks the Durango is a race car is fooling themselves, also IMO. You others can have your own opinions.

So this combination of SUV/trailer really works for us.

Durango Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Vehicle
    2018 Durango SRT
    I don't think anyone on these forums, who actually owns an SRT, has referred to it as a "race car". At least not that I remember.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links