Dodge Durango Forum banner

News report: Dodge Durango SRT will get Hellcat engine!

6K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  392DurangoSRT 
#1 ·
From Mopar Insiders:

Dodge will also be highlighting their move to make the Durango into the “Charger of SUVs”. We have been seeing this in the past couple of model years with the GT model getting the optional SRT hood, as well as the “performance” SUV, getting many of the high-impact colors from the Charger and Challenger color palette.

Dodge also will be bringing additional performance to the Durango lineup. Our sources are now telling us that Dodge is going forward with plans of producing a HELLCAT-powered model. We are hearing we should start seeing prototypes testing very soon. Expect the same running gear that underpins the all-wheel-drive 707 horsepower Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk.
Link:
https://moparinsiders.com/we-look-at-the-future-of-the-dodge-durango-hellcat-power/

Looks like we'll get a Dodge Durango SRT Trackhawk, folks! Save your pennies.

If it does happen, what's the likely timing?

#2 ·
Well nice to hear that our body style and chassis will remain current for a couple more years.

I wonder how the Trackhawk is selling? Any idea? While the performance is awesome, it's still a ~$90K grand cherokee, which was of little interest to me (the lower towing capacity was the other nonstarter). The ~$70K for the SRT was hard enough to swallow.

I guess they would have to call it a Durango SRT Demon (or Hellcat)? Their branding guys would never let a Dodge dilute the Jeep "Trackhawk" (or Trailhawk or <blank>hawk or whatever) brand.....

#5 ·
The ~$70K for the SRT was hard enough to swallow.

My thoughts exactly. I've been saying for the 18 months or so that I've owned mine, that I wish it had the hellcat engine. But that doesn't mean I'm willing to drop six figures for one. That said, I doubt it will increase the performance enough to warranty the extra dollars. To a racer, the difference between 0-60 of 4.4 and one that is say 3.6 is a huge difference. To me, not so much. Fast is fast. Use a stopwatch once and hit start and then stop it at .8 secs. That's the difference. Worth the extra $30k?

#4 ·
A hellcat powered durango with room for 6/7 would be freaking amazing! I just hope it isn't in the $90K+ stratosphere like the Trackhawk. Dodge has always kind of been the "affordable" muscle car brand, which is why I like Dodge so much. Since the DSRT tops out around $70K+ though, I could see that price point in line with the Trackhawk, ugh. Well maybe I can afford a used one in like 10 years...

#6 ·
This has been a great platform and been out here for a while. So FCA wants to keep the Durango in the news and they are doing the right things by adding new stuff onto the existing line up.

I thought DSRT had a lot of power for a family hauler and i wonder how the market would accept a more powerful version. In any case, I would expect the base price of this vehicle to start between $80 and $85k (at least $20k premium over DSRT). Even though its a lot of money for a Dodge, its a bargain when you compare it with vehicles like X7.

#7 ·
This has been a great platform and been out here for a while. So FCA wants to keep the Durango in the news and they are doing the right things by adding new stuff onto the existing line up.
Journey, Durango, Grand Caravan... all dated platforms but they still sell well, so for now they will continue. The longer they can keep it alive the more money it makes them, having all the current tooling and equipment well set up to make them for years now. I wonder what else will be changed to accommodate the Hellcat, to make it even more attractive to potential buyers, without redesigning the entire thing.

#8 ·
If true, i'm sure it will be a drop-in like the 6.4 was in the GC->D SRT.

If the certification work is well along, it could be MY2020 (this fall). I think the GC is due to flip to the new platform for MY2021, but that doesn't necessarily mean the WK2-derived D will go out of production... the plant is probably flexible enough to build simultaneously.. so the 6.2L could be M2021.

Or the 'new' Durango might come out for MY2021 with the 6.2L introduced there...

It's never been clear where FCA is going with brand positioning, so anything could happen.

Reactions: liberca
#10 ·
That would be awesome! Even though I just blew a big wad on my '19 - I am all for evolving and refining the kick ass Mopar vehicle line! All the others pale in comparison.

#18 ·
Here's some info on the three-row Jeep with a quote from an FCA exec:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jeep/...-to-join-grand-cherokee-in-growing-jeep-range

Jeep’s growth is set to continue at pace with FCA boss (and still Jeep head) Mike Manley confirming that a new seven-seat model will be launched as well as the often-rumoured, bigger, Wagoneer model.
“We’ve made some announcements for investments in our US plants, which are really important for us because that brings two additional products to our Jeep portfolio, segments that frankly I've wanted to be in for a long time,” said Manley. “One is the large SUV segment. There are relatively few competitors in there, but it could be a great segment for Jeep and we'll bring back the Grand Wagoneer at that time.
“Then the second is a three row Jeep, which will technically play in the same segment as Grand Cherokee. Roughly 60% of that segment is three row, so Grand Cherokee has really only played in 40%. That will open up that part of the segment for us.”
The new three-row SUV will sit alongside a new Grand Cherokee model, but is unlikely to wear the iconic nameplate.
All three new models are expected to appear some time in 2019, after Jeep has launched its Gladiator pick-up. And with plug-in power for the Renegade and Compass models starring for Jeep at the 2019 Geneva Motor Show, expect hybrid power to feature in Wagoneer, Grand Cherokee and the new three-row model, too.

This article speculates:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/11/jeep-mystery-three-row-suv-details/

These details make it clear where Jeep is positioning this three-rower for the future — below the Grand Wagoneer, but above the Grand Cherokee. It's starting to look like a true competitor to vehicles like the Ford Explorer, Chevrolet Traverse and Honda Pilot. The five-seat Grand Cherokee is the only SUV Jeep has to go up against those models in the midsize SUV segment now, which ices out folks in need of those couple extra seats. The Grand Wagoneer is still expected to be the larger, more luxurious three-row vehicle of these two, as well.​

It's not clear to me what all this means. But there's no hint of a Three Row Jeep SRT Trackhawk anytime in the next few years--why would they, when a base model would already sell pretty well? And there *are* unnamed FCA sources telling news outlets that there will be a Durango SRT Trackhawk soon.

I'm happy to buy either. Really whatever's fastest and not too expensive. :)

#19 ·
Here's some info on the three-row Jeep with a quote from an FCA exec:

It's not clear to me what all this means. But there's no hint of a Three Row Jeep SRT Trackhawk anytime in the next few years--why would they, when a base model would already sell pretty well? And there *are* unnamed FCA sources telling news outlets that there will be a Durango SRT Trackhawk soon.
Can you post a link of these "unnamed" sources talking about a Durango SRT Trackhawk?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.