News report: Dodge Durango SRT will get Hellcat engine!
Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: News report: Dodge Durango SRT will get Hellcat engine!

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Vehicle
    2019 Dodge Durango SRT (delivered 12/2018)

News report: Dodge Durango SRT will get Hellcat engine!

From Mopar Insiders:

Dodge will also be highlighting their move to make the Durango into the “Charger of SUVs”. We have been seeing this in the past couple of model years with the GT model getting the optional SRT hood, as well as the “performance” SUV, getting many of the high-impact colors from the Charger and Challenger color palette.

Dodge also will be bringing additional performance to the Durango lineup. Our sources are now telling us that Dodge is going forward with plans of producing a HELLCAT-powered model. We are hearing we should start seeing prototypes testing very soon. Expect the same running gear that underpins the all-wheel-drive 707 horsepower Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk.
    Link:
    https://moparinsiders.com/we-look-at...hellcat-power/

Looks like we'll get a Dodge Durango SRT Trackhawk, folks! Save your pennies.

If it does happen, what's the likely timing?
    ---
    2019 Durango SRT in Granite Crystal (ordered 9/2018, delivered 12/2018)

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    Well nice to hear that our body style and chassis will remain current for a couple more years.

I wonder how the Trackhawk is selling? Any idea? While the performance is awesome, it's still a ~$90K grand cherokee, which was of little interest to me (the lower towing capacity was the other nonstarter). The ~$70K for the SRT was hard enough to swallow.

I guess they would have to call it a Durango SRT Demon (or Hellcat)? Their branding guys would never let a Dodge dilute the Jeep "Trackhawk" (or Trailhawk or <blank>hawk or whatever) brand.....

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Vehicle
    18 ddsrt octane red standard interior 2nd row console standard wheels 3 season tires
    I hope they keep improving the platform..it is a good size family suv...if they could just loose 500 lbs...of course 700 hp solves a lot of that...

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Durango R/T AWD
    Mods
    Tint, SRT hood
    A hellcat powered durango with room for 6/7 would be freaking amazing! I just hope it isn't in the $90K+ stratosphere like the Trackhawk. Dodge has always kind of been the "affordable" muscle car brand, which is why I like Dodge so much. Since the DSRT tops out around $70K+ though, I could see that price point in line with the Trackhawk, ugh. Well maybe I can afford a used one in like 10 years...
    2014 Durango R/T AWD, Granite Crystal, Tech&Tow Pkg, Nappa, Captains, Sunroof

Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Vehicle
    2018 Dodge Durango SRT Black/Red 2016 RAM 3500 Limited DRW White/Black
    Mods
    No reason to
    Quote Originally Posted by 6104696 View Post

The ~$70K for the SRT was hard enough to swallow.

My thoughts exactly. I've been saying for the 18 months or so that I've owned mine, that I wish it had the hellcat engine. But that doesn't mean I'm willing to drop six figures for one. That said, I doubt it will increase the performance enough to warranty the extra dollars. To a racer, the difference between 0-60 of 4.4 and one that is say 3.6 is a huge difference. To me, not so much. Fast is fast. Use a stopwatch once and hit start and then stop it at .8 secs. That's the difference. Worth the extra $30k?

Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Vehicle
    2018 R/T
    This has been a great platform and been out here for a while. So FCA wants to keep the Durango in the news and they are doing the right things by adding new stuff onto the existing line up.

I thought DSRT had a lot of power for a family hauler and i wonder how the market would accept a more powerful version. In any case, I would expect the base price of this vehicle to start between $80 and $85k (at least $20k premium over DSRT). Even though its a lot of money for a Dodge, its a bargain when you compare it with vehicles like X7.

Member #
    Liked
    833 times
    Vehicle
    2007 Durango Night Runner
    Mods
    1 of 241 made
    Quote Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
    This has been a great platform and been out here for a while. So FCA wants to keep the Durango in the news and they are doing the right things by adding new stuff onto the existing line up.
    Journey, Durango, Grand Caravan... all dated platforms but they still sell well, so for now they will continue. The longer they can keep it alive the more money it makes them, having all the current tooling and equipment well set up to make them for years now. I wonder what else will be changed to accommodate the Hellcat, to make it even more attractive to potential buyers, without redesigning the entire thing.
    2007 HEMI Nightrunner D
    1996 Ford E-350 SuperBeast

Member #
    Liked
    1557 times
    Vehicle
    2007 and 2014 5.7L Grand Cherokees
    If true, i'm sure it will be a drop-in like the 6.4 was in the GC->D SRT.

If the certification work is well along, it could be MY2020 (this fall). I think the GC is due to flip to the new platform for MY2021, but that doesn't necessarily mean the WK2-derived D will go out of production... the plant is probably flexible enough to build simultaneously.. so the 6.2L could be M2021.

Or the 'new' Durango might come out for MY2021 with the 6.2L introduced there...

It's never been clear where FCA is going with brand positioning, so anything could happen.
    liberca likes this.
    If I am a good man and sure in all my ways
    The captain of a starship that's homeward bound today
    --
    14 JGC Deep Cherry Overland 5.7L
    07 JGC Red Rock Limited 5.7L
    And some past Durangos
    de W1PF

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Great timing I just put an order for my DSRT last week. Who knows I might trade mines in for the Durango Trackhawk. I definitely want that 707hp its needed for the size and weight of this SUV.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Vehicle
    2016 DODGE CHALLENGER SRT HELLCAT, 2019 DODGE DURANGO SRT 392
    That would be awesome! Even though I just blew a big wad on my '19 - I am all for evolving and refining the kick ass Mopar vehicle line! All the others pale in comparison.
    2016 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat - 1 of 1 made

2019 Dodge Durango SRT 392

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links