News report: Dodge Durango SRT will get Hellcat engine! - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: News report: Dodge Durango SRT will get Hellcat engine!

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Vehicle
    2016 Hemi Citadel
    Wow. The new Durango has been pushed back another 2 years? So now 2023?!
    '16 Hemi Citadel
    '17 JKUR
    '87 GN

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IvoryHemi View Post
    Wow. The new Durango has been pushed back another 2 years? So now 2023?!
    Good gives me time so i can trade my SRT for the Hellcat Durango.
    jgrondin likes this.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Vehicle
    2018 Durango SRT
    Quote Originally Posted by 392DurangoSRT View Post
    my thoughts exactly!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Vehicle
    2016 Hemi Citadel
    Quote Originally Posted by 392DurangoSRT View Post
    Seems like FCA is content with slowly killing off the Durango. Milking what they can from it with minimal investment. Same as the rest of the lineup, Dodge's days look numbered.
    '16 Hemi Citadel
    '17 JKUR
    '87 GN

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Vehicle
    18 ddsrt octane red standard interior 2nd row console standard wheels 3 season tires
    Seems like FCA is content with slowly killing off the Durango. Milking what they can from it with minimal investment. Same as the rest of the lineup, Dodge's days look numbered.
    that's what a company for sale does....spin of Ferrari and sell the rest to......Renault?

Durango Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Vehicle
    2018 Durango SRT
    Slowly killing off the Durango? How do you figure? Neither the Durango nor the GC, on which it is based, have been updated recently. If a certain model is still selling well, why change it? Look at the Grand Caravan. Despite the new Pacifica it continues to sell well so they kept building it. The Journey had been rumored to be killed off years ago yet they keep building it because it continues to sell. They have dropped models that haven't sold or made profits for them, like Dart and the 200.

As for merging with another company, that isn't new. Sergio was actively seeking a partner before he passed away. The car business isn't the same anymore. At least not for the American car companies. Ford has dropped all cars (except Mustang) from their US market and sticking with SUVs and crossovers. Chevy is following suit, only keeping the Camaro (Corvette continues as their specialty car) and for who knows how long. FCA is finding ways to keep interest in their main cars, Charger/Challenger, with minimal investment. Nothing wrong with that. Instead of coming out with the Demon, Redeye, 1320 or Widebody options, they could have killed them off years ago. I think their willingness to find new ways to market them should be appreciated by any Mopar fan.
    DuRonbo and liberca like this.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Vehicle
    2016 Hemi Citadel
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptMoe View Post
    Slowly killing off the Durango? How do you figure? Neither the Durango nor the GC, on which it is based, have been updated recently. If a certain model is still selling well, why change it? Look at the Grand Caravan. Despite the new Pacifica it continues to sell well so they kept building it. The Journey had been rumored to be killed off years ago yet they keep building it because it continues to sell. They have dropped models that haven't sold or made profits for them, like Dart and the 200.
    Because there will be a new Grand Cherokee, which will now be built alongside the old Durango. They sell 3x as many WK2 than WD, as they focus on Jeep more than Dodge. There will be a new bof Grand Wagoneer, and three row GC to push Durango aside even more since it won't be FCA's only 3-row SUV offering anymore. If there is a new gen, it would be built on one of those two chassis. So why push off on development?

They clearly feel the Jeep badge is more important than the Dodge badge. Durango has been stuck on 66-68k/year for sales, when many other 3-row competitors sell over 100k/yr. They have blamed it on JNAP being at capacity, but they sell over 200k GC's, so why not shift some of that production if that was the case.

It is astonishing how many Grand Caravans have sold, but I wonder how many are fleet?
    '16 Hemi Citadel
    '17 JKUR
    '87 GN

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Vehicle
    2019 Dodge Durango SRT (delivered 12/2018)
    Here's some info on the three-row Jeep with a quote from an FCA exec:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jeep/g...ing-jeep-range

Jeep’s growth is set to continue at pace with FCA boss (and still Jeep head) Mike Manley confirming that a new seven-seat model will be launched as well as the often-rumoured, bigger, Wagoneer model.
    “We’ve made some announcements for investments in our US plants, which are really important for us because that brings two additional products to our Jeep portfolio, segments that frankly I've wanted to be in for a long time,” said Manley. “One is the large SUV segment. There are relatively few competitors in there, but it could be a great segment for Jeep and we'll bring back the Grand Wagoneer at that time.
    “Then the second is a three row Jeep, which will technically play in the same segment as Grand Cherokee. Roughly 60% of that segment is three row, so Grand Cherokee has really only played in 40%. That will open up that part of the segment for us.”
    The new three-row SUV will sit alongside a new Grand Cherokee model, but is unlikely to wear the iconic nameplate.
    All three new models are expected to appear some time in 2019, after Jeep has launched its Gladiator pick-up. And with plug-in power for the Renegade and Compass models starring for Jeep at the 2019 Geneva Motor Show, expect hybrid power to feature in Wagoneer, Grand Cherokee and the new three-row model, too.

This article speculates:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/11/...w-suv-details/

These details make it clear where Jeep is positioning this three-rower for the future — below the Grand Wagoneer, but above the Grand Cherokee. It's starting to look like a true competitor to vehicles like the Ford Explorer, Chevrolet Traverse and Honda Pilot. The five-seat Grand Cherokee is the only SUV Jeep has to go up against those models in the midsize SUV segment now, which ices out folks in need of those couple extra seats. The Grand Wagoneer is still expected to be the larger, more luxurious three-row vehicle of these two, as well.

It's not clear to me what all this means. But there's no hint of a Three Row Jeep SRT Trackhawk anytime in the next few years--why would they, when a base model would already sell pretty well? And there *are* unnamed FCA sources telling news outlets that there will be a Durango SRT Trackhawk soon.

I'm happy to buy either. Really whatever's fastest and not too expensive.
    ---
    2019 Durango SRT in Granite Crystal (ordered 9/2018, delivered 12/2018)

Durango Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Vehicle
    2018 Durango SRT
    Quote Originally Posted by liberca View Post
    Here's some info on the three-row Jeep with a quote from an FCA exec:

It's not clear to me what all this means. But there's no hint of a Three Row Jeep SRT Trackhawk anytime in the next few years--why would they, when a base model would already sell pretty well? And there *are* unnamed FCA sources telling news outlets that there will be a Durango SRT Trackhawk soon.
    Can you post a link of these "unnamed" sources talking about a Durango SRT Trackhawk?

Durango Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Vehicle
    2018 Durango SRT
    Because there will be a new Grand Cherokee, which will now be built alongside the old Durango. They sell 3x as many WK2 than WD, as they focus on Jeep more than Dodge. There will be a new bof Grand Wagoneer, and three row GC to push Durango aside even more since it won't be FCA's only 3-row SUV offering anymore. If there is a new gen, it would be built on one of those two chassis. So why push off on development?

They clearly feel the Jeep badge is more important than the Dodge badge. Durango has been stuck on 66-68k/year for sales, when many other 3-row competitors sell over 100k/yr. They have blamed it on JNAP being at capacity, but they sell over 200k GC's, so why not shift some of that production if that was the case.

It is astonishing how many Grand Caravans have sold, but I wonder how many are fleet?
    But none of what you are mentioning is new. These have been rumors for quite some time which are now starting to become reality. What FCA has done is positioned each brand for a specific market: RAM, the workhorse. Dodge, the enthusiast. Chrysler, family based. JEEP, the iconic off-roader.
    The Jeep brand has been a solid contributor for years. When Chrysler took over AMC, getting Jeep was a big part of the deal. Chrysler saw the value in that brand. It has only gotten more valuable. Dodge/Chrysler isn't a big seller overseas but, put a JEEP badge on it and it will sell. So, knowing that, if you were FCA would you market the new 3-row SUV as anything but a new JEEP?
    RAM was thought to be where the full-size SUV would come from for years. The name Ramcharger kept floating around. But with Jeep's continued success and loyal customers asking for it, it makes financial sense to have this model show up as a Jeep and wear a name clearly identified with luxury SUV, Grand Wagoneer. That truck sold for years without any updates.
    "The Jeep Wagoneer is the first luxury 4x4, sold and produced for Jeep by several automakers from 1962 to 1991. Marketed as a station wagon, the design became known as "sport utility vehicle" (SUV) when Jeep first used the term for the 1974 Cherokee version. The 4WD Wagoneer stayed in production for 29 model-years (1963–1991) with almost unchanged body-structure, making it the third longest-produced single generation car in U.S. automotive history..."
    Article continues:
    "For 1984, AMC replaced the SJ-body Cherokee with the all-new, compact and more fuel-efficient unibody Jeep Cherokee (XJ), and introduced a upscale version of the (XJ) known as the Wagoneer. The compact XJ Wagoneer was available in two trim levels: the "Wagoneer" and the "Wagoneer Limited". AMC originally intended for these vehicles to replace the SJ-body Wagoneer models but high demand prompted the company to keep the old SJ-body Wagoneer in production alongside them despite the fact the design, largely unchanged since 1962, was becoming increasingly antiquated."

Jeep has a history of tough, off-road capable and luxurious SUVs. The two new offerings from FCA will wear the JEEP badge because it offers the most potential for a successful launch. After that, who knows? Maybe that 3-row SUV will end up getting a new face and be introduced as the 2021 Dodge Durango. But I don't see it as slowly killing the Durango. I just see it as an auto manufacturer trying to ensure their continued success.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links