new alternator recall, now includes 220A (but only V6) - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: new alternator recall, now includes 220A (but only V6)

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    As you all know, for the last two months I have been begging FCA for answers as to why replacement of alternators under the recall has not started yet. In fact, I've been posting here, other Durango forums and the WK2 forum over on Jeepforum.com to enlighten the WK2 folk of this.

The consistent answer I am given is that FCA is still (as of today) in the interim process of figuring out which parts will need replacement and what to replace them with (e.g. an upgraded alternator design). Meanwhile, Durangos and Grand Cherokees are dropping like flies and leaving owners stranded along the roadside and having to foot enormous tow bills, repair bills, etc just to get the old alternator replaced with an identical design that will fail again in a similar fashion.

FCA has indicated that they will reimburse owners who have to pay themselves to repair a bad alternator, and *some* owners are having luck getting FCA to pay for a new car battery and power module that these bad alternators are killing when they go bad. As far as rental expenses go, I wish you good luck in begging FCA for to pay for that.

My main issue with this is I know it's going to happen - it's when, not if. The notion that I should literally expect to be stranded on the side of the road in what will probably be a rain/snow/wind/sleet storm and maybe with my whole family with me is appalling. I most recently posed the question to FCA on whether or not I could just bring my truck into the dealer and have them pre-emptively replace my alternator with whatever parts they can muster just so that I won't have to face that type of event. So far, they have not responded to me.

It's crap, the whole thing is crap and it stinks to high heaven. And the best part? This recall, or some variant thereof, has been out since 2014. 2014! They STILL have not come up with a replacement.
    Last edited by Prospect62; 11-06-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    2011 Durango Crew AWD 3.6L - Charcoal Gray

Durango Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Limited AWD V6 Premium, Safe/Conveniece & Tow packages, Opt7 LED fog lamps
    Almost makes me want to go ahead and buy a spare alternator and put it in the back of the Durango along with the tools necessary to change it just encase the light comes on and I get stranded. Reman units are available from $190 and new name brand units from about $295.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi all,
    1st post here. Yesterday, Apr 14, 2018 my Durango (2012 Crew 2WD 3.6) died... In the middle of a famly trip from RI to GA. Fortunatly the battery light came on and I was able to get off at an exit and park at a park and ride before it died. (Dash went through the gears, wipers did the slow wipe and that was all she wrote)

As I write this, I am sitting on a hotel bed in the middle of New Jersey. I spent all day yesterday at a mechanic with the hope that my family and I would be in GA right now, of course that's not the case. The mechanic ran through the diagonistic and determined the issue was the alternator. He actually brought me the defecteve alternator and demonstrated the lock up of the unit. BUT! It turns out the computer may be locked and requires a dealer to unlock it so I can get the family on the road. That's the "good part" the fun will be the remimbursement factor. Because of this I am out the cost of two hotel rooms for two nights, around $800 in repair costs and whatever the dealer may or may not charge to unlock the computer... if that's the only issue. From what i've read I looks like I will have to submit all the paperwork to FCA. Any chance that I will be able to have the dealer in the area pay the mechanic? I know this may be highly unlikely, I plan on asking them about it anyway.

I hope this hasn't happened to any other familys. My advice at this point is, if you are waiting on the replacement part, save yourself the pain and just pay to get it fixed for that peace of mind. I would much rather have been waiting on a check vs screwing up my vacation.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    274 times
    Vehicle
    2004 Hemi SLT AWD Turned 100K Jan of '17. New engine September 2008 at 39K due to dropped valve.
    Wolf:
    Sorry to to hear of your trip being held up like this. From what you say, you are not at a dealer, but at local repair shop correct? The fact that you are on a trip might help you here. Usually, when such repairs are needed they prefer you to go to a dealer. If you don't have one close by, that would go to your favor I think.
    I would keep good record of all the expenses you incur because of the failed alternator, and then submit them to FCA assuming your D falls under the pretty massive alternator recall. We have heard of some folks being reimbursed for more than the alt repair itself, and others who got only that.

Don
    2004 Durango SLT Hemi AWD "The Flame Red Rocket." ( 3/26/10 Cleveland, OH.)
    2014 Billet Silver Dodge Charger R/T Hemi AWD (10/27/16 Dundee, MI.)
    2011 Mineral Gray Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD V6 (hers) (8/21/14 Chattanooga, TN.)

de N8ECH

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks Don, I just made it back to the hotel from the dealer. I will have to be reimbursed for everything. They are trying to bump me up in the queue to see if I will be here until Thursday-ish or if they can get the computer updated/flashed? Can't recall the exact wording that was used. So far due this issue I am out, $1150 for the alternator, shop diag, and tow, $325 for a hotel stay... and counting. At least the torrential downpour has passed in good ol New Jersey and the sun is out because, the dealer didn't have any loaner cars smh. Good thing I have a good sense of humor or i'd be losing it at this point. At least the wife and kids are taking everthing in stride so that helps to keep the stress levels managable.
    Don Fox likes this.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    How many have been having follow on issues after an alternator failure from this TSB? Ours failed and fried the PCM. Had to have another alternator replaced when they had figured out the PCM was fried and replaced it. Since then I have random battery fault indications on the dash. But when I shut it off and restart there's no indicated fault. I've got an OBD Bluetooth reader that I've been using to log data and the voltage at the PCM and OBD port varies constantly usually in the 12 thru 14 volt range. It has on occasion dropped into the 11 volt range, but that's not tied to the battery light coming on. Does anyone know that exactly causes the battery light to activate and what the threshold is for it?
    The gas guzzler 2011 Dodge Durango
    The fun one 1991 Nissan Skyline GTS25
    The practical one 2016 Dart SXT Sport Blacktop
    The project in storage 1970 Nissan Laurel

Member #
    Vehicle
    2011 Durango Heat
    Mods
    LED Lights, LED Strobes, Bull Bar, Nerf Bars, Throttle Body, K&N CAI
    Quote Originally Posted by norge View Post
    How many have been having follow on issues after an alternator failure from this TSB? Ours failed and fried the PCM. Had to have another alternator replaced when they had figured out the PCM was fried and replaced it. Since then I have random battery fault indications on the dash. But when I shut it off and restart there's no indicated fault. I've got an OBD Bluetooth reader that I've been using to log data and the voltage at the PCM and OBD port varies constantly usually in the 12 thru 14 volt range. It has on occasion dropped into the 11 volt range, but that's not tied to the battery light coming on. Does anyone know that exactly causes the battery light to activate and what the threshold is for it?
    Battery light is triggered when ever the electrical system drop below 12V I Believe this is so, I may be wrong My light came on 1 time no symptoms, no loss power nothing funny, drove home less than 2 miles. Parked few days, then started to go get tested, No battery light, drove about 1 mile restarted stopped again, no symptoms & no battery light. Still going to dealer, Still keeping it parked. this will be 3rd alternator 2nd battery...maybe serp belt, i dunno yet dealer is backlog 1 week. hope i helped. will post conclusions.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    I am now going through the mess of getting my alternator replaced(2011 Durango V6). Actually, I've had it replaced already but it shutdown on me again during my second short drive going to work. They are now saying they need to replace something dealing with the power steering(I can't remember the exact component name). Does anyone have a final solution to their alternator problems(outside of getting rid of the DD). I going to ask them about the PCM tomorrow.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links