Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Vehicle
    '04 Durango
    Mods
    5.7 Limited

Smile '04 Durango 5.7 Limited Parasitic Draw

For months I have been plagued with dead battery issues. All the normal mechanical suspects had been eliminated but still after only 4 hours after shutdown the drain was enough to discharge the battery. Overnight it would completely discharge and require a slow charge to bring back the battery. I started to explore all the electrical systems by elimination. As you can imagine many hours were involved in this process. I finally found a partial solution by disconnecting the twin 30A fuses which controlled the after shutdown functions such as headlights, radio system, auto door locks etc. I believe the fuses are marked "28" on the legend. As long as I pulled this fuse, located under the hood, after shutdown the truck would start after sitting for days. I just plugged it back in before start up and no problem. I continued to try to isolate which "after shutdown" component was not powering down. After another month of trial and error I had my vehicle in for a normal tune up by my mechanic. Not a dealership as they were absolutely useless in assisting me. This was a young mechanic in our small town. I told him since they would have my truck overnight he would have to pop the fuses I mentioned or it would not start in the morning. He just said "interesting", do you want me to check it out. Not having much faith I said OK but don't spend more than 2 hours labour searching. Then I asked him if he drank beer! He said yes to which I replied "if you can solve that damm problem I'll buy you a case of beer". We agreed and I left my truck for service. I'm sure you have already guessed the results. I hope he enjoys that case of beer! It turned out to be the compass and temperature sensor which was not powering down. I know many others have been dealing with similar problems so I am hoping this helps you out. I now need to locate a replacement part so if anyone knows where I can locate one your help would be appreciated. Good luck and happy motoring.
    Durangutan and Don Fox like this.

Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    Vehicle
    '14 Limited
    Mods
    Husky splash guards, Steelcraft running boards
    Good to hear your young mechanic found it.

The experience that's comes with age is definitely irreplaceable. But sometimes it takes a youngster that's full of piss and vinegar to tackle a challenge that no one else wants to be bothered with.
    //2014 DODGE DURANGO LIMITED\\
    Billet Silver////Black
    Steelcraft Running Boards
    Husky Splash Guards
    Husky Weatherbeater Floormats 1st, 2nd, Cargo
    R.E.S. via tablets and wireless H.D. 
    vvv Second Row Bench Seat vvv
    ///Booster Seat//////Neutral Zone//////Child Seat///

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Vehicle
    2008 Chrysler Aspen Limited 4WD Hemi - 1 of just 4063 Aspens sold in the Canadian market.
    Little tip for anybody dealing with a mysterious overnight power drain. Check out the ignition lock mechanism in the steering column.

I went through the same chasing of the parasitic draw problem during the first month and a half of ownership of my 2005 Limited. I learned that the two 30A IOD (Ignition Off Draw) fuses, that can be pulled to kill much of the parasitic electrical drain caused by "always on" circuits, was a partial fix, but I knew it had to be more.

From the "Owners Manual":
    NOTE: If you are leaving your vehicle dormant for longer than 21 days you may want to take steps to protect your battery. You may do this by disconnecting the battery or by disconnecting the two ignition-off draw (I.O.D.) fuses located in the Auxiliary Power Distribution Center (PDC) located in the engine compartment. The I.O.D. cavities include a snap-in retainer that allows the fuse to be disconnected, without removing it from the fuse block. Pressing the I.O.D. fuse back into the cavity reconnects it.
    In the end I discovered that the ignition lock mechanism in my 2005 was so worn that the key could be removed in the Acc position. While I thought the ignition was in Lock, it was actually in the Acc position and the accessories circuit was still running and nothing was shutting off after 10 minutes or when the front doors were opened (didn't know about this feature until after I sorted out the problem). After fitting a replacement lock cylinder, the mysterious overnight power drain just disappeared.
    Don Fox and Durangutan like this.
    James

Nothing says unprofessional job like wrinkles in duct tape.
    Nova Scotia Lasers - LASER engraving/3D printing
    1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12 - long term project
    2008 Chrysler Aspen (Hemi, AWD)
    1980 GMC Vandura G35 23' motorhome
    2003 Land Rover Discovery II SE7 - another project AKA money pit

Disclaimer: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, and may entirely lack a coherent theme.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Durango R/T
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiltyman View Post
    For months I have been plagued with dead battery issues. All the normal mechanical suspects had been eliminated but still after only 4 hours after shutdown the drain was enough to discharge the battery. Overnight it would completely discharge and require a slow charge to bring back the battery. I started to explore all the electrical systems by elimination. As you can imagine many hours were involved in this process. I finally found a partial solution by disconnecting the twin 30A fuses which controlled the after shutdown functions such as headlights, radio system, auto door locks etc. I believe the fuses are marked "28" on the legend. As long as I pulled this fuse, located under the hood, after shutdown the truck would start after sitting for days. I just plugged it back in before start up and no problem. I continued to try to isolate which "after shutdown" component was not powering down. After another month of trial and error I had my vehicle in for a normal tune up by my mechanic. Not a dealership as they were absolutely useless in assisting me. This was a young mechanic in our small town. I told him since they would have my truck overnight he would have to pop the fuses I mentioned or it would not start in the morning. He just said "interesting", do you want me to check it out. Not having much faith I said OK but don't spend more than 2 hours labour searching. Then I asked him if he drank beer! He said yes to which I replied "if you can solve that damm problem I'll buy you a case of beer". We agreed and I left my truck for service. I'm sure you have already guessed the results. I hope he enjoys that case of beer! It turned out to be the compass and temperature sensor which was not powering down. I know many others have been dealing with similar problems so I am hoping this helps you out. I now need to locate a replacement part so if anyone knows where I can locate one your help would be appreciated. Good luck and happy motoring.
    When I had my 2004 I put in an adapter to allow the satellite port to be used as an aux port in my 6 cd radio and the battery started draining overnight removed that piece of junk and it went back to normal I eventually changed out the radio for a single cd with aux port and 32k of music on a walkman.
    Durangutan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    521 times
    Liquid motivation is a strong force! Glad it got figured out, can't imagine how frustrating it must have been.
    2014 White Citadel 5.7 loaded except for DVD
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Limited QDII
    1968 Pontiac Firebird 350 4spd #'s matching
    2003 HO Cummins Ram 6spd QCSB sold.

Sponsored Links