TSB 14-001-12 Fuel Splash Back - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 18 of 18
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: TSB 14-001-12 Fuel Splash Back

  1. #11
    Grasshopper JamesB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Clare, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    76
    Member #
    12013
    Liked
    27 times
    Vehicle
    2008 Chrysler Aspen Limited 4WD Hemi - 1 of just 4063 Aspens sold in the Canadian market.
    Been battling fuel spitback on my 2008 Aspen since I got it last September.

    Last week, my wife got about a litre dumped on her when she was refueling the Aspen while traveling between work locations. Soaked her work clothes. She was pissed. She had never experienced the problem before as she rarely filled the tank past half full, but this time she decided to do a full fill. I told her that I was aware of the problem and I used a "slow fill" technique when the tank got to about the 85 litre point.

    Decided to do a search tonight to see if there was a fix as I figured that it had to be a combination of the gas tank pressurizing during the fill and a check valve of some sort in that long skinny filler line that wasn't closing properly ... and discovered the "Warranty Extension" TSB in the process. Looks like I'll be talking to my local FCA dealership's service department so they can order the parts and do the filler and the passenger air bag recall at the same time.

    My 2005 Durango wasn't as bad, but it still did it. The existence of the TSB certainly does explain why nearly every Durango I looked at after my 2005 was totaled had rust issues on the body work directly below the fuel filler. All that gas spilled down the side wasn't good for the paint.
    Don Fox likes this.
    James

    Nothing says unprofessional job like wrinkles in duct tape.
    Nova Scotia Lasers - LASER engraving/3D printing
    1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12 - long term project
    2008 Chrysler Aspen (Hemi, AWD)
    1980 GMC Vandura G35 23' motorhome
    2003 Land Rover Discovery II SE7 - another project AKA money pit


    Disclaimer: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, and may entirely lack a coherent theme.

  2. #12
    Grasshopper
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    39
    Member #
    32017
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    Been battling fuel spitback on my 2008 Aspen since I got it last September.

    Last week, my wife got about a litre dumped on her when she was refueling the Aspen while traveling between work locations. Soaked her work clothes. She was pissed. She had never experienced the problem before as she rarely filled the tank past half full, but this time she decided to do a full fill. I told her that I was aware of the problem and I used a "slow fill" technique when the tank got to about the 85 litre point.

    Decided to do a search tonight to see if there was a fix as I figured that it had to be a combination of the gas tank pressurizing during the fill and a check valve of some sort in that long skinny filler line that wasn't closing properly ... and discovered the "Warranty Extension" TSB in the process. Looks like I'll be talking to my local FCA dealership's service department so they can order the parts and do the filler and the passenger air bag recall at the same time.

    My 2005 Durango wasn't as bad, but it still did it. The existence of the TSB certainly does explain why nearly every Durango I looked at after my 2005 was totaled had rust issues on the body work directly below the fuel filler. All that gas spilled down the side wasn't good for the paint.
    I still don't understand how the 2009 isn't covered under this. I hate having to listen for the fuel to sound like it's coming up the neck and then killing the trigger.
    2009 Chrysler Aspen Limited - AWD 5.7L Hemi 345
    2018 Dodge Challenger 392 Scat Pack Shaker - 6.4L Hemi 392

  3. #13
    Grasshopper JamesB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Clare, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    76
    Member #
    12013
    Liked
    27 times
    Vehicle
    2008 Chrysler Aspen Limited 4WD Hemi - 1 of just 4063 Aspens sold in the Canadian market.
    Went to the dealer today and asked about the "spit back" fix and showed them a copy of the TSB. They confirmed that my VIN qualifies, and it is an unlimited time/unlimited mileage warranty item. They have ordered the kit and will fit it at the same time I come in to have the passenger side airbag recall done.
    Rawyzf and Don Fox like this.
    James

    Nothing says unprofessional job like wrinkles in duct tape.
    Nova Scotia Lasers - LASER engraving/3D printing
    1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12 - long term project
    2008 Chrysler Aspen (Hemi, AWD)
    1980 GMC Vandura G35 23' motorhome
    2003 Land Rover Discovery II SE7 - another project AKA money pit


    Disclaimer: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, and may entirely lack a coherent theme.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Grasshopper AJWaller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Minot, ND
    Posts
    56
    Member #
    51416
    Liked
    12 times
    Vehicle
    2007 Durango SLT
    my 07 spits bad how do you look up the vin to see if its been "fixed" already?

  6. #15
    Super Moderator Durangutan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Real close to Muffler Man
    Posts
    4,957
    Member #
    1532
    Liked
    850 times
    Vehicle
    2007 Durango Night Runner
    Mods
    1 of 241 made
    I don't know an online site that can tell you that. There are a few sites you'll find handy though...

    https://www.chrysler.com/webselfserv...HB48277F554106 That is my VIN; you just replace mine with yours. It is the build sheet, nice to have.

    This one is for recalls done and pending. The spit back was not a recall so it will not show, but at least you can see if you need to have the airbag recall done-

    https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...ls/search.html
    IndyDurango likes this.
    2007 HEMI Nightrunner D
    1996 Ford E-350 SuperBeast

  7. #16
    Grasshopper AJWaller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Minot, ND
    Posts
    56
    Member #
    51416
    Liked
    12 times
    Vehicle
    2007 Durango SLT
    I read about spraying some wd40 down the air neck... I did this and let it soak a over night then sprayed some more. The next fill up it splooged out again. Lett'r soak with some pm blaster and BAM Next 3 fillups so far have been dry as a bone and no more spilt fuel.
    Durangutan likes this.

  8. #17
    Grasshopper
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    39
    Member #
    32017
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AJWaller View Post
    I read about spraying some wd40 down the air neck... I did this and let it soak a over night then sprayed some more. The next fill up it splooged out again. Lett'r soak with some pm blaster and BAM Next 3 fillups so far have been dry as a bone and no more spilt fuel.
    Interesting....so just spray some PB Blaster down there? How much, or should say how long did you spray?
    2009 Chrysler Aspen Limited - AWD 5.7L Hemi 345
    2018 Dodge Challenger 392 Scat Pack Shaker - 6.4L Hemi 392

  9. #18
    Grasshopper AJWaller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Minot, ND
    Posts
    56
    Member #
    51416
    Liked
    12 times
    Vehicle
    2007 Durango SLT
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawyzf View Post
    Interesting....so just spray some PB Blaster down there? How much, or should say how long did you spray?
    at the time i was working out of town with company vehicle so I dont remember exactly how much. Was only driving the occasional weekend I got to go home ( i fueled up like every 4-7 weeks if that shows how much I got to drive)... I sprayed maybe 10-15 seconds in the top air vent tube. I sprayed and it got to sit for about a week then I had a extra trip home and sprayed it again about the same. Then I got to drive it 2 weeks and actually run a tank of fuel thru it. Was still splooging but not as much so I sprayed a little more and then have had no issues since..
    Rawyzf likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. H45 - Fuel Splash Back (05 Ds)
    By IndyDurango in forum Durango Recalls/TSBs 2004-09
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-16-2013, 10:28 AM
  2. 06 fuel splash back
    By c1971ace in forum Durango Discussions 2004-09
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 03-29-2012, 09:45 PM
  3. Check out these Splash Guards that I painted.
    By phiber_optik in forum Durango Accessories 1998-03
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-26-2008, 06:47 PM
  4. WTB: Molded Splash Guard - Passenger Side Rear
    By BigDog in forum Durango Accessories 1998-03
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2005, 04:14 AM
  5. Anti-freeze splash out
    By greg in forum Durango Discussions 1998-03
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 07:49 AM

Search tags for this page

14-001-09
,

dodge durango tsb 14-002-13

,
dodge tsb 14-001-12
,
tsb 14-001-09
,

tsb 14-001-12

Click on a term to search for related topics.