Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By hamada128
  • 4 Post By DeaconBlue

Thread: 2019 Durango RT or 2012 GL550

Grasshopper
    Member #

2019 Durango RT or 2012 GL550

Hi guys long time lurker first time poster.

I'm in the market for a new family hauler and was cross shopping these 2.

The gl 550 is used with 50k miles fully loaded for around 20k. Beautiful ride inside and out

The rt would be a lease. Current lease price is 300 a month for base RT no options. They want 4k down, not sure if I could get that down deducts.

How is the noise in the cabin when driving ? And if you could do it again would you buy the RT.

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Vehicle
    18/DDGT, MB: S320, E320, 190e
    If you can go to the newer GL (2013+) will look nicer than the first Generation and have the newer engine with more horsepower and slightly better fuel economy.
    I was in the same boat. Was shopping for 2011-12 GL450 but decided to give the Durango a try and if I like it I plan to keep it at the end of the lease.
    My only complaint so far is the very poor customer service I get at the dodge dealers when I bring my car for any warranty repairs compared to the level of service I am used to with my other MBs.
    Omega48er likes this.

Durango Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Limited AWD V6 Premium, Safe/Conveniece & Tow packages, Opt7 LED fog lamps
    The JGC (W2K) and ML (W166) or the newer GLE and Dodge Durango and the GL (X166) or newer GLS are all based on the same MBZ designed/engineered uni-body and suspension architecture. Just like the JGC/Durango which received a mid cycle freshening for '14 MY, the MBZ models also received a mid cycle freshening for the '15 MY (M series) and '16 MY (G series). One of the guys here at work buys 3 year old GL models that come off lease for his wife and turns them every 3 years. They are extremely safe vehicles. A friend of mime was in a accident with one at highway speed on a divided state highway. He was hit by cross traffic - clipped him with his family on board - spun and rolled several time. No one inside was injured (all where using seat belts) other than scratches and bruises.

Key thing to watch for on the GL/SLG is the air suspension. Also avoid the 19" wheels - there is no selection in that tire size, get the 20" wheels. This maybe the most important thing to keep in mind, the maintenance cost at around 100K+ miles can be ridiculous. Try to buy it certified pre-owned GL/SLG from the dealership - the extra upfront cost (maybe $3k more than non-certified or private party) will get you; new brakes, new tires and all the needed maintenance done, plus the warranty is extended to 100K miles.

If you go with a new R/T and decide on the lease route do NOT give them anything as a prepayment on a lease (its not a down payment) - period. All you are doing is prepaying part of the lease payments up front. For example, if the deal is say $3,600 down on a 36 month lease with a $300 monthly payment, then the exact same lease should be $0 down and a $400 a monthly payment for 36 months.

Hope this helps.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Grasshopper
    Member #
    This was very helpful.

Yes if i do plan on going with the Durango RT it will be a lease and I do not want to give them any thing down. About to start asking friends if they know any one at a dodge dealership here in the NYC area who can help.

I do agree with Hamada128 that the service department sucks. having been through 2 Jeep commanders and 3 MBZ, I can say without a doubt the service depart and sales department are much better at MB.

I usually change my cars/trucks every 2-3 years and I drive maybe 4-5k miles a year. With that said, the GL i was looking at was a 2010 with 60k miles on it. I do agree the 19" and the 21" are an ODD size. if i do get the GL I will be switching to 20 or 22" wheels and I am not worried on the repairs, since my cousin has a shop which I have access to, so i can wrench on my on rides.

I test drove a GL 450 and it was amazing. i did ask my used car dealer to see if he can source a 2010-2012 GL550 since I do not want a 450. If not, The dodge even is on until the 18th of this month.

I would prefer a car which I can be comfortable in on a long drive.

The Durango I would want is the Base + audio upgrade.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Vehicle
    Comfort wise on long trips the GL wins for sure.
    If you have access to a shop and fix your own rides like I do, then get the GL. Just try to find a 550 with the standard air suspension as the 450 as the Active body control on most of the 550s is more expensive.

Member #
    Liked
    167 times
    Vehicle
    '17 Durango Citadel
    A used GL verses a new Durango? I'll take the Durango any day of the week. Those GLs are sweet but no way I'd own one if I was on the hook for repairs. I'd lease a new one rather than buy a used one. I know they share DNA but the REALLY expensive stuff (engine/tranny etc.) are totally different. No way.
    '17 Durango Citadel, White Knuckle, Tech, and Tow

Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Vehicle
    2019 Durango R/T
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega48er View Post
    This was very helpful.

Yes if i do plan on going with the Durango RT it will be a lease and I do not want to give them any thing down. About to start asking friends if they know any one at a dodge dealership here in the NYC area who can help.
    I would go with the Durango for sure. I have a great dealer about an hour north of NYC (it's near a train station), let me know if you want the info...although the $300/mo least price you said you got is REALLY low (even w/ 4k down), but I agree with the others, don't put anything down other than 1st payment and DMV fees on a lease.
    Last edited by powerfreak; 04-09-2019 at 11:10 AM.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    so, i was planing on going to test drive a Durango today, however when i went back on the incentives page it has changed a bit, though those incentives were valid until the 18th of this month. they had 7.5k in incentive and now its showing 3k... with that being said, the Durango is out of the question at that price point.

I only drive 3-4k miles a year and it is not worth it for me to spend that much money on a lease. 300 was doable. but not 433.

Thanks for everyones help.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    This thread is very interesting because this is almost the exact thing I’m doing. The only difference is that I’m looking to buy on either vehicle, not lease since I drive a lot. Biggest issue is there are hardly ANY of either close to me. I will have to drive a minimum of 60 miles to test drive something.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega48er View Post
    so, i was planing on going to test drive a Durango today, however when i went back on the incentives page it has changed a bit, though those incentives were valid until the 18th of this month. they had 7.5k in incentive and now its showing 3k... with that being said, the Durango is out of the question at that price point.

I only drive 3-4k miles a year and it is not worth it for me to spend that much money on a lease. 300 was doable. but not 433.

Thanks for everyones help.
    Which website you find the incentives for the D?

Sponsored Links