Thread: Clicking noise on drivers side at freeway speed

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Vehicle
    2013 AWD Durango Citadel Hemi

Post Clicking noise on drivers side at freeway speed

So I have had this issue for a while but I have been dealing with it since it doesn't seem to be causing a real problem other than annoying me while on the highway. I typically have the radio on so I cant hear it.... it is a clicking noise coming from the drivers side and sounds like it is coming from the wheel well or in the engine bay close to me near my feet. It sounds like it is something blowing around from the wind at freeway speeds. I do not hear it unless I am traveling 60+mph. I don't see anything loose in the wheel well and I don't see anything under the hood that could be causing it. Anyone have an issue like this? I sometimes wonder if I have a stick stuck up there somewhere that is just blowing around.

Member #
    Liked
    525 times
    Does it change at all if your behind a big rig and tailgating? Just trying to see if it's wind related.
    2014 White Citadel 5.7 loaded except for DVD
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Limited QDII
    1968 Pontiac Firebird 350 4spd #'s matching
    2003 HO Cummins Ram 6spd QCSB sold.

Member #
    Liked
    197 times
    Constantly or sporadically? coasting, throttle up? Just my couple questions.
    1999 Durango 360 FM 50mm, PS Headers, K&N FIPK, Rancho RSX's, SuperChips 3865, T/S lift, Hughes plenum/rebuild
    2012 Challenger SXT 3.6l, 267HP, 254 torque, Diablo Intune, FM 74/80mm_GONE
    2015 Dart Aero turbo1.4t, GFB DV+ BOV, MP TB, 14.5g Tank
    2004 RAM HEMI QC LB 7" lifted 2WD Rancho9000x, FM 84mm, SC 3815, factory freak
    2005 Magnum R/T 2WD "police package"_GONE
    2018 Durango GT 3.6l, FM 74/80mm TB

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    158 times
    Vehicle
    2016 R/T | RWD
    It might be the issue with the hood hinge. Check out this TSB: http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_2302212a.pdf

Also, this thread has some good info on it: https://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/d...sh-rattle.html

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by Citadel Brian View Post
    Does it change at all if your behind a big rig and tailgating? Just trying to see if it's wind related.
    I have not really noticed a difference, haven't done a lot of tailgating though. I believe it is wind related since it only happens at high speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyD View Post
    Constantly or sporadically? coasting, throttle up? Just my couple questions.
    It is sporadic but only at high speeds 55+mph.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by stoopalini View Post
    It might be the issue with the hood hinge. Check out this TSB: http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_2302212a.pdf

Also, this thread has some good info on it: https://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/d...sh-rattle.html
    Thank you, I will take a look.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Check half shaft/cv axle boots for leaks.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    116 times
    Vehicle
    Citadel 5.7L AWD
    Mods
    Racetrack Taillights
    As indicated in my signature line, I have a 2011 Citadel AWD w/5.7 HEMI.

I began hearing a clicking/knocking sound as I drover over speed bumps in parking lots. As a some time passed, these noises were joined by what I would refer to as a "chirping" sound. Think of it as a hunter's "Turkey Call" sort of. It's been driving me nuts. I have checked under the dash, A-Pillar, zip-tied the washer fluid line to restrain it - but the problem still existed. That is until today. I opened the hood and found two offending pieces of plastic molding/shroud that rattled/chirped when i tapped and moved them about.

As a test, I ended up cutting two small pieces of 1/4" foam and wedged them between where the two pieces of plastic rested against the fender and cowl area under the driver side windshield wiper.

I didn't take a photo, so I will re-purpose this one with "Blue" hatched (disregard the red) areas:

Clicking noise on drivers side at freeway speed-capture.jpg

After I wedged the rubber strips where indicated in Blue above, I was unable to get the knock/chirp sound to occur. After test driving, I believe I have resolved my issue. I'll continue to listen out for it. If completely resolved, I may find a more permanent solution and take pics to share my resolution to what sounds like has been described by many of you.
    Gordon

2011 5.7L HEMI Durango Citadel AWD Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
    Racetrack Taillights | Diablo Sport Intune DCX | BT Catch Can |Plasti Dip Badges

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleBeeAL View Post
    As indicated in my signature line, I have a 2011 Citadel AWD w/5.7 HEMI.

I began hearing a clicking/knocking sound as I drover over speed bumps in parking lots. As a some time passed, these noises were joined by what I would refer to as a "chirping" sound. Think of it as a hunter's "Turkey Call" sort of. It's been driving me nuts. I have checked under the dash, A-Pillar, zip-tied the washer fluid line to restrain it - but the problem still existed. That is until today. I opened the hood and found two offending pieces of plastic molding/shroud that rattled/chirped when i tapped and moved them about.

As a test, I ended up cutting two small pieces of 1/4" foam and wedged them between where the two pieces of plastic rested against the fender and cowl area under the driver side windshield wiper.

I didn't take a photo, so I will re-purpose this one with "Blue" hatched (disregard the red) areas:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	35770

After I wedged the rubber strips where indicated in Blue above, I was unable to get the knock/chirp sound to occur. After test driving, I believe I have resolved my issue. I'll continue to listen out for it. If completely resolved, I may find a more permanent solution and take pics to share my resolution to what sounds like has been described by many of you.
    Funny you should mention this, I was sort of doing a similar thing under the hood moving shrouding around to see if I could get the clicking noise to replicate. I believe it is the upper shroud closest to the windshield. It has a tab that inserts into the side (farthest to the drivers side) and it clicks when I move it around. I think the wind at highway speeds is likely causing my noise. I will stuff some foam in there to see if it goes away.

RumbleBeeAL likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links