Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Vehicle
    2006 Dodge Durango Limited, 5.7 HEMI
    Mods
    Bilstien 4600 Series Shocks, LED lights

Cranking too long, smell gas Vol. 2

So last August/September my 06' had some issues starting when the engine was warm, and there was a noticeable smell of gasoline. I came to this forum for help but never really found a solution.

After trying several things (replacing battery, cleaning throttle body and intake manifold, sea-foam through the intake, replacing spark plugs, EGR valve, PCV valve, vapor canister purge solenoid, ...), it eventually went away. Until recently.

Let me say first that the issue never completely disappeared. There have been a FEW occasions where it would crank a little longer than normal or a noticeable smell of gasoline would arise while starting, but it has been truly reliable for several months. Now it seems that the issue is back with a vengeance.

I live in Alberta, Canada and we are experiencing some very cold weather here lately. Like really ******* cold! A couple of weeks ago, this issue of warm-engine-long-cranking returned. It is only when the engine has been running for a while (haven't any clue as to how long it has to run before this begins happening), but basically the thing will crank and crank and crank and ... you get the idea ... until it cranks "long enough" to finally turn over. Alternatively, I can give the accelerator a quick jab as soon as I turn the key to prevent the whole cranking issue altogether.

The funny thing is that while everyone else and their grandma have to keep their block heaters plugged in overnight to get their vehicles to start in this cold weather, this old girl fires right up immediately, even after several days of sitting! But then as soon as that engine gets up to temp... it struggles, and it struggles hard sometimes.

I really have no ideas for how to solve this problem. The starter sounds very healthy, the fuel pump can be heard roaring to life as soon as the key is turned, fuel pressure at the injector rail reads perfect, everything I can think of replacing has been replaced, and I'm basically back at square one. I have poured thousands of dollars into this very worthy power house, and I love everything about it other than this starting issue. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing this? Has anyone else experienced a similar (or identical) problem, and happened to find the solution?

The next step for me is to start inspecting the electrical system. And when I say inspect, I mean survey in detail every square millimeter of rubber-clad copper conduit within this behemoth to see what's going on here. I have a brand new alternator on order (the current one seems to have found a second life after some time at a pick-and-pull) and will be at the very least adding some new power cables (1/0awg) from the battery to the alternator, battery to chassis, chassis to block and alternator casing to battery negative (the big 3{+1} upgrade). And no I don't have any aftermarket audio equipment in it, nor have I made any alterations whatsoever to any factory wiring in any way (yet).

I will also be taking it into the dealership to have the fuel filter replaced (whatever happened to those all-too-easy to access inline filters?), so if you have any suggestions on anything else I should have inspected while it's in their hands, I am all ears friends.

If you've stuck it out this long then congratulations, you've earned my sincere appreciation! Thank you for at least taking the time to read through this, even if you're as clueless as I am as to what is causing my problem. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!
    BLASTER likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Similar issue with my 18RT. Made no sense. The only thing I could do to recreate it was to drive for about 30 minutes. Wait 90 minutes and start it. It would crank a long time before starting.

Dealer replaced both fuel pumps with no success.

Eventually they got me out of it since it was 10 moths old at the time.

PM me your info. I’ll send a video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    748 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Citadel Hemi, 2001 SLT+4.7L
    Mods
    4.7L HO cams, Fastman TB, Superchips, R/T rims, Street Scene front bumper cover
    Fuel filters...or fuel socks are now part of the fuel pump module mounted in the tank.
    Sounds fuel related. Is fuel pressure still good when warm and having the start issues?

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    748 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    No codes?
    Have you ruled out the injectors?...you might have one or more leaking.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase300 View Post
    No codes?
    Have you ruled out the injectors?...you might have one or more leaking.
    I did have the injectors tested by a local mechanic and they passed. There are no codes, everything is in tip-top shape on this old girl... aside from whatever it is that's causing this problem.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase300 View Post
    Fuel filters...or fuel socks are now part of the fuel pump module mounted in the tank.
    Sounds fuel related. Is fuel pressure still good when warm and having the start issues?
    This was my immediate thought also (being fuel related). Fuel pressure was measured with the engine warm.

The problem is very consistent. Warm engine = long cranking. For example, if I drive to the store to grab something, come back to the vehicle and start it, it will behave as I've described. Love this vehicle but so furious over this issue.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    Began measuring new power wire lengths today. The local welding supply shop did not have any 1/0 awg so I purchased 2/0. I have the wires cut with ferrule connections to the battery terminals and copper ring lugs for the other connections. Unfortunately I got called out to work so this will be put on hold for another couple of days, but I will keep this post updated once the new wiring is installed. I don't expect the wiring upgrade to "fix" anything directly related to the problem I'm having, but figured it wouldn't hurt to do it and see if there's any sort of an improvement at all. Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far!

Member #
    Liked
    291 times
    Vehicle
    2004 Hemi SLT AWD Turned 100K Jan of '17. New engine September 2008 at 39K due to dropped valve.
    JB:
    X2 on the issue being fuel related. While we are are at it, how long since the plugs have been changed? If you elect to replace the fuel filter, as mentioned, it's a part of the fuel pump. I would not go that far in without changing the pump also. Pumps can work fine at first, then go berzerk once they have run a bit. There may be enough pressure to idle all day long, but under a load may be a different story.

Don
    2004 Durango SLT Hemi AWD "The Flame Red Rocket." ( 3/26/10 Cleveland, OH.)
    2014 Billet Silver Dodge Charger R/T Hemi AWD (10/27/16 Dundee, MI.)
    2011 Mineral Gray Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD V6 (hers) (8/21/14 Chattanooga, TN.)

de N8ECH

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    748 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    Just FYI, as leaking injectors could be your cause as you smell gas...fires up right away cold, but not warm.
    To test you pull the fuel rail with the injectors in place. Put cardboard or paper towels under them and then cycle the ignition on and off and see if any are leaking at the tip.
    Not sure how the mechanic tested them..if he just checked if they work that won't tell you if they leak..follow?

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Fox View Post
    JB:
    X2 on the issue being fuel related. While we are are at it, how long since the plugs have been changed? If you elect to replace the fuel filter, as mentioned, it's a part of the fuel pump. I would not go that far in without changing the pump also. Pumps can work fine at first, then go berzerk once they have run a bit. There may be enough pressure to idle all day long, but under a load may be a different story.

Don
    I changed all of the plugs only days after I bought the vehicle because that's what I suspected was causing the issue at first. That was late last August. I only drive this in town so there hasn't been a ton of miles put on since the plugs were changed, hopefully they're still good.
    Don Fox likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links