Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Cranking too long, smell gas Vol. 2

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    You're going to scratch your head at this! For fuel here we have 87, 89, and 93 octane gas. I usually put in mid-grade 89 octane fuel since that is what I believe the manual recommends. Yesterday I decided to put premium 93 octane instead, and the check engine light and starting issue went away!

I have not done anything, the plugs and wires are still sitting I have not installed them. It's only been a day but both issues seem to have gone away.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Vehicle
    2006 Dodge Durango Limited, 5.7 HEMI
    Mods
    Bilstien 4600 Series Shocks, LED lights
    Quote Originally Posted by RamboStallone View Post
    You're going to scratch your head at this! For fuel here we have 87, 89, and 93 octane gas. I usually put in mid-grade 89 octane fuel since that is what I believe the manual recommends. Yesterday I decided to put premium 93 octane instead, and the check engine light and starting issue went away!

I have not done anything, the plugs and wires are still sitting I have not installed them. It's only been a day but both issues seem to have gone away.
    That is quite odd. I don't know much about fuel or fuel injection, maybe it's a difference in quantity or quality of detergents used in premium fuel? Wish I'd have thought to try that, but I'm not sure it would have been a permanent solution. Regardless, good on you for finding a solution that didn't cost a ton of money.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Juicyblunts View Post
    That is quite odd. I don't know much about fuel or fuel injection, maybe it's a difference in quantity or quality of detergents used in premium fuel? Wish I'd have thought to try that, but I'm not sure it would have been a permanent solution. Regardless, good on you for finding a solution that didn't cost a ton of money.
    It came back eventually. Just a coincidence at the time I guess.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by RamboStallone View Post
    It came back eventually. Just a coincidence at the time I guess.
    Now that I can relate to lol. Do you have any shops nearby that can check your injectors for a reasonable price?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Now that I can relate to lol. Do you have any shops nearby that can check your injectors for a reasonable price?
    Yes lol gets your hopes up then it returns to let you know you failed guess again haha.

I will look into it, its obvious that the true issue is with the fuel injectors. I became side tracked with the idler pulleys, tensioner, and serpentine belt. My lower idler pulley was nonexistent, all that was left is the metal rings...

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Durango rallye
    My 14' durango has been experiencing the same starting problem for a year but without the gas smell. Over the past year it has gotten progressively worse. It only has the issue when sitting for between 1-6 hrs. Cranking first thing in the morning is no issue nor is it an issue turning vehicle off then immediately back on. Dealer just replaced the TIPM to no avail. I'll request the injectors be inspected and see how that works out.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdtimer View Post
    My 14' durango has been experiencing the same starting problem for a year but without the gas smell. Over the past year it has gotten progressively worse. It only has the issue when sitting for between 1-6 hrs. Cranking first thing in the morning is no issue nor is it an issue turning vehicle off then immediately back on. Dealer just replaced the TIPM to no avail. I'll request the injectors be inspected and see how that works out.
    Hope you get it figured out! It was an annoying issue. If you have your injectors looked at and they tell you they're fine, get a second opinion to be safe. Unless you know/trust them. I will forever boycott the shop I took mine to initially. Either way, best of luck to you!

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Any luck on a resolution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links