Thread: Random Observations of Adaptive Cruise Control While on Vacation

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Vehicle
    2015 GCM R/T everything except AWD and Blacktop
    Mods
    Mopar mats 1st, 2nd rows, Maxpider cargo mat, 1-TB HD. 1 coat Zaino Z2 (so far). Auto Heat Shield

Random Observations of Adaptive Cruise Control While on Vacation

Hello All,

I made a 220 mile trip to Austin today in the DD and used the Adaptive Cruise Control (from the technology group I think) for the first time. Here is some of what I observed. Hopefully the info will be useful and/or interesting.

(1) At one point during the beginning of the trip, I found myself in ACC following a car ahead from a safe distance, but I wanted to "cruise" faster. So I pushed the accel (Set+) button, but nothing happened. So... I tried holding the Set+ button down. Still nothing happened. At that moment, I became a little flustered and changed to the passing lane. The Hemi suddenly came alive, surging faster and faster and faster, until we were going way too fast and still accelerating, seemingly out of control. I was like WTF?!! Hit the brakes!

As it turns out, the D was doing exactly what I told it to do. The ACC set point (mph) is displayed on the speedo cluster. When you hold the (Set+) button down, the mph set point increases by ones, and then by fives. In other words, when I held the button down I probably increased the set point to 95 mph, 100 mph, who knows? I didn't look. BUT the D will not go faster when there is a car at, or less than, the safe distance ahead. Change to a lane that is unoccupied ahead and BAM! you get exactly what you asked for. Took me three times to figure this out. Next...

(2) If you set your ACC cruise speed to say, 75 mph, and the car ahead is only going 65, the system still works. The D will maintain a safe distance behind that car. But I realized, after some miles of following, that this means the driver ahead of you is CONTROLLING YOUR SPEED !! (up to the set point at least). In this mode, every time the Sunday driver ahead of you slows down to rubberneck, or else slows down for no reason at all (you know what I mean), YOU WILL SLOW DOWN TOO !! Imagine a long chain of ACC cars cruising in a row, and the implications. We will travel as slow as the slowest car in the chain ahead.

(3) This is the most delightful bit of news. To my surprise, the ACC not only applies the brakes, it also works through red lights!!* As in you don't have to touch a pedal! The thing will bring you to a stop, and resume your speed after the light turns green... AWESOME !!!

The only FYI is that if the car behind you at the red light gets too close on your bumper while you are stopped, the system will say "ACC about to turn off. Please get ready to apply the brake." Shortly after that, you will hear a beep and the thing will turn itself off. And shortly after that, your cursing of the driver behind you for being so stupid and getting too close will commence.

*As LiGuy noted, the stopping at the red lights only works if there is a car stopping ahead of you. This is ACC, not Google car.
    Last edited by MarkTX; 07-21-2015 at 12:15 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    Vehicle
    '14 Limited
    Mods
    Husky splash guards, Steelcraft running boards
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkTX View Post
    (3) This is the most delightful bit of news. To my surprise, the ACC not only applies the brakes, it also works through red lights!! As in you don't have to touch a pedal! The thing will bring you to a stop, and resume your speed after the light turns green.
    Only if there is another car in front of you that also stops at the red light right?
    Wouldn't want any new owners to think their D will detect a red light and come to a stop if they were first in line at the light.
    //2014 DODGE DURANGO LIMITED\\
    Billet Silver////Black
    Steelcraft Running Boards
    Husky Splash Guards
    Husky Weatherbeater Floormats 1st, 2nd, Cargo
    R.E.S. via tablets and wireless H.D. 
    vvv Second Row Bench Seat vvv
    ///Booster Seat//////Neutral Zone//////Child Seat///

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Vehicle
    2015 GCM R/T everything except AWD and Blacktop
    Mods
    Mopar mats 1st, 2nd rows, Maxpider cargo mat, 1-TB HD. 1 coat Zaino Z2 (so far). Auto Heat Shield
    I think you are right.
    Will try and check.

Original post edited to reflect as such.
    Last edited by MarkTX; 07-21-2015 at 12:16 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    116 times
    Vehicle
    Citadel 5.7L AWD
    Mods
    Racetrack Taillights
    Correct on all accounts.

You have three options for following distance. Set that with the distance button "(", "((", or "(((" shortest to longest respectively. The distance button cycles through these distances in order.

If you prefer not to use ACC, simply change the mode of operation vi the mode switch. It takes some getting use to. In no event should it be a replacement for your awareness and best judgement. It's simply a driving aid with safety in mind.

Obviously, of the driver ahead of you,is not using cruise control and you enabled ACC with a max speed equal to or greater than the other motorist's average speed, you will be in effect mimicking their random Sundy driving speed changes. Be careful around tight corners too. As the vehicle he'd of you make a tight turn and if you are using greeter traveling/trilogy distance, your ACC system will lose the car ahead of you momentarily when the car move out of the field of view around the turn as you are still headed straight - the radar system points directly ahead of the Durango and does not follow where your he'd/eyes are facing. Therefore, your speed may "surge" faster and surprise you. When entering into a tight radius turn, it my be worth using the cancel button, after the turn is made, then press the resume button.

Of course this data is in the user guide and worth reading up on before too many surprises surface unexpectantly.

Enjoy it. I know I do. This has to be one of the coolest features on my Citadel that I use most on the highway.

One function I have not verified is if the ACC system applies the brake lights when it dynamically applies the brakes. One would assume it does for obvious reasons. Otherwise, you and the Unsuspecting following vehicle would be in for a surprise.
    Gordon

2011 5.7L HEMI Durango Citadel AWD Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
    Racetrack Taillights | Diablo Sport Intune DCX | BT Catch Can |Plasti Dip Badges

Member #
    Liked
    1565 times
    Vehicle
    2007 and 2014 5.7L Grand Cherokees
    Yes, ACC does apply the brake lights.

The "car in front controls your speed" is exactly the purpose of ACC, so it is a good thing that happens

What I've found is that when a car is within following distance, I have to do an occasional speedo check to make sure I haven't been slowed down more than I want to be. You get used to it pretty quickly if you do much highway driving with it.
    If I am a good man and sure in all my ways
    The captain of a starship that's homeward bound today
    --
    14 JGC Deep Cherry Overland 5.7L
    07 JGC Red Rock Limited 5.7L
    And some past Durangos
    de W1PF

Member #
    Liked
    1880 times
    Vehicle
    2013 R/T D HEMI
    Mods
    DIABLO TUNING, 22 SRT WHEELS, AFE CAI, BILLET TECH GOODIES, CORSA
    That is the way it works
    STEVE

BRIGHT WHITE R/T, HEMIFEVER TUNING, CORSA EXHAUST, FMTB, AFE CAI
    BT GOODIES, 22" SRT8 REPS, RK SPORTS HOOD,KATZKIN INTERIOR

"Dodgedurango.net welcomes all members with open arms, regardless of social status, creed, color, vehicle color, vehicle model or how it is modded. The only thing we discriminate against is DISRESPECT... We're not friends we are FAMILY"
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/6411..._comment_reply

Member #
    Liked
    1565 times
    Vehicle
    2007 and 2014 5.7L Grand Cherokees
    I think a neat addition to the UI would be a change to the ACC icon when you are being held more than some amount (5mph? user-selectable?) below your selected speed..
    If I am a good man and sure in all my ways
    The captain of a starship that's homeward bound today
    --
    14 JGC Deep Cherry Overland 5.7L
    07 JGC Red Rock Limited 5.7L
    And some past Durangos
    de W1PF

Member #
    Liked
    521 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Dodge Durango RT AWD
    Mods
    Whipple 2.9L Supercharger, Magnaflow cat-back, Tuned by Peitz Performance Tunes
    The icon on the dash does change when you are being held by a car in front of you. If you are just cruising, the lines are displayed. Once the system detects a vehicle and adjusts your speed to maintain the preset following distance, the lines are displayed with a symbol of a rear bumper in front of the lines. Once you move into an open lane with no cars in front of you, the rear bumper disappears and only the lines remain.
    -Bryan

2014 Durango RT: Road Magnet springs, 2.9L Whipple, Magnaflow cat-back, ARH LT headers, tuned by Peitz Performance Tunes (No Updated Time Yet)

2006 Charger SRT8: Nitrous Outlet plate w/ 100hp shot, Paramount trans and 2800 converter, Getrag 3.91, tuned by Peitz Performance Tunes. (11.809 @ 116.15 mph)

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    (3) This is the most delightful bit of news. To my surprise, the ACC not only applies the brakes, it also works through red lights!!* As in you don't have to touch a pedal! The thing will bring you to a stop, and resume your speed after the light turns green... AWESOME !!!

The only FYI is that if the car behind you at the red light gets too close on your bumper while you are stopped, the system will say "ACC about to turn off. Please get ready to apply the brake." Shortly after that, you will hear a beep and the thing will turn itself off. And shortly after that, your cursing of the driver behind you for being so stupid and getting too close will commence.

I don't believe this is how it's supposed to work, nor does mine work this way. If ACC stops the car for > 2 or 3 seconds it will alert you to brake and automatically disengage ACC. Irrelevant if there is a car behind you.

Member #
    Liked
    857 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Dodge Durango R/T Red
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkTX View Post

The ACC doesn't turn off because a car is behind you. If the vehicle is stopped for more that 1 second ACC automatically turns itself off. Hence the warning and beep.

If your Durango is a 2011 -2013 I believe it turns off automatically under 20 MPH.
    Skippy426 likes this.
    Former Durango Owner turned traitor!!!

PURPLE IS THE NEW RED

JOIN DODGEDURANGO.NET ON FACEBOOK.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/641168852679883/

Paul

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links