Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Automatic Cruise Control (ACC) Retraining... What $$$$

Grasshopper
    Member #

Automatic Cruise Control (ACC) Retraining... What $$$$

Wife took her 2014 Dodge Durango RT into the shop because the ACC was acting weird. Got the call from the service manager that says the ACC needs retraining for $380. The say that the front bumper was hit and knocked some clips loose - not sure as I did not talk with them. Has anyone had this done or know anything about it? Your help would be appreciated. The price seems a little steep!

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Citadel
    Haven't had that happen but first of all that should fall under warranty and not a charge and secondly the ACC works off of the radar sensors which have a wire harness going to them so the bumper clips shouldn't matter unless the bumper was knocked way out and the radar wasn't reading straight....did the front bumper hit anything?

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Thanks for quick response. The service manager says it does not fall under warranty as it was hit. There is no visible damage to the bumper. They also say it needs a front end alignment. Who knows, wife says she didn't hit anything, Dodge says she did. I guess the big question is: every time she bumps into a parking lot stop block is it going to cost $380 to retrain? What is involved?

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    252 times
    Vehicle
    2016 R/T AWD Maximum Steel
    Wow, I smell something scammy.
    OurZoo and Robfrmny21 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1880 times
    Vehicle
    2013 R/T D HEMI
    Mods
    DIABLO TUNING, 22 SRT WHEELS, AFE CAI, BILLET TECH GOODIES, CORSA
    If the sensor and bumper show no physical damage and it didnt get unplugged get out fast That is BS
    STEVE
    OurZoo likes this.

BRIGHT WHITE R/T, HEMIFEVER TUNING, CORSA EXHAUST, FMTB, AFE CAI
    BT GOODIES, 22" SRT8 REPS, RK SPORTS HOOD,KATZKIN INTERIOR

"Dodgedurango.net welcomes all members with open arms, regardless of social status, creed, color, vehicle color, vehicle model or how it is modded. The only thing we discriminate against is DISRESPECT... We're not friends we are FAMILY"
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/6411..._comment_reply

Member #
    Liked
    578 times
    I packed my sensor full of snow and all it did was throw a message saying "FCW/ACC Disabled" or something similar. I also ran over a parking curb with no issue. Your dealer is full of shit...
    OurZoo and Robfrmny21 like this.
    2011 HEMI Citadel AWD aka "Klaus" *SOLD*
    Mopar CAI
    Gibson Axleback exhaust
    Philips Xtreme Vision Gen2 D1S HID bulbs

2012 Dodge Caliber SXT aka Trixie
    20% ceramic window tint
    Philips Xtreme Vision h13 headlight bulbs

2016 Chrysler 300 S
    20% metallic window tint
    9005 to Philips 9011 headlight bulb upgrade (PNP)

Member #
    Liked
    383 times
    Mods
    2013 Redline R/T: HemiFever Tune, CORSA, Billet Tech CC, AFE CAI, 20% Tint, 22x9 SRT Reps, BREMBOS
    If the plastic clips (ball n socket) are messed up they are telling the truth, My wife had same issue with jeep, Small snow bank. it pooped out of clips and bent a screw, i bought new clips and pooped it back in and it was out of alignment. I did it my self with a 3.5mm socket. Side to side was not changed just up and down. had it real close but would throw error then i had a trailer on ball and it was perfect. a 1/4 turn at a time and its now perfect. BUT u are playing with fire touching it..

http://www.mopar.com/part/68085813AA...4864646&b=jeep

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by MJB8; 07-15-2015 at 08:07 PM.
    2013 RedLine R/T. 22" SRT REP, SRT Brembo 6/4 Calipers/Drilled & Slotted Rotors, 15% Tint, LEDS. 430N, Tow Package ,Sunroof. AFE CAI, Diablo Trinity, Hemifever Tune,180 TStat, Fastman 85mm TB w/backcut, Billet Technology's Catch Can, Corsa Cat back, RK Sports Ram Air Hood.

Member #
    Liked
    383 times
    Mods
    2013 Redline R/T: HemiFever Tune, CORSA, Billet Tech CC, AFE CAI, 20% Tint, 22x9 SRT Reps, BREMBOS
    STANDARD PROCEDURE - ADAPTIVE SPEED CONTROL SENSOR ALIGNMENT

The adaptive speed control sensor (also known as the Adaptive Cruise Control/ACC sensor or module, or the radar sensor or module) requires alignment whenever the ACC sensor is removed and reinstalled, whenever front end structural repairs are performed or whenever a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) indicates ACC sensor adjustment is required. Sensor alignment consists of performing the mechanical vertical alignment described in the following procedure, followed by the electronic horizontal alignment that is performed with a diagnostic scan tool and the appropriate diagnostic information.
    1.Verify correct vehicle suspension height.
    2.Repair or replace any ineffective, worn or damaged body components. Repair any loose or cracked fascia components that might interfere with the sensor field of view. The radar dome of the sensor module should be roughly centered in the opening of the fascia.
    3.Verify proper tire inflation pressures.
    4.Remove any accumulations of mud, snow or ice from the vehicle underbody.
    5.Verify that there is no load in the vehicle (cargo or passengers), except for the driver.
    NOTE:
    The vehicle MUST be placed on a known level horizontal surface such as a wheel or frame alignment rack to achieve satisfactory sensor vertical alignment results.

6.Rock the vehicle side-to-side three times to allow the suspension to stabilize.
    7.Jounce the front and rear suspension three times by pushing downward on the front and rear bumpers and releasing.
    SENSOR VERTICAL ALIGNMENT

Fig 1: Adaptive Speed Control Sensor, Bracket, Vertical Alignment Tool & PlungerCourtesy of CHRYSLER GROUP, LLCView Full-Screen

NOTE:
    The graphic shows Special Tool No. (special tool #10243-1, Fixture, Alignment, Accessory) installed on the adaptive speed control sensor with the front fascia removed for clarity; however, on EXPORT MARKET VEHICLES ONLY it is NOT necessary to remove the front fascia to install the special tool or to perform the following procedure.
    1.The adaptive speed control sensor (4) (also known as the Adaptive Cruise Control/ACC sensor or module and the radar sensor or module) is located on a bracket (6) secured near the right frame rail on the underside of the front bumper support member of the Front End Module (FEM) behind the front fascia.
    2.For domestic market vehicles only, remove the front fascia from the vehicle. Refer to FASCIA, FRONT, REMOVAL .
    3.For domestic market vehicles only, working from behind the removed front fascia release the latch features that secure the molded plastic ACC fascia closeout bezel to the fascia and remove the bezel from the right lower air intake opening.
    4.For export market vehicles only, unsnap and remove the molded plastic ACC fascia closeout bezel from the right lower air intake opening of the front fascia to gain access to the ACC adjustment screws.
    5.Unsnap and remove the smaller plastic bezel (mirror cover) from over the front of the sensor housing.
    6.Using standard glass cleaner and a clean soft towel, remove any dirt or road salt from the convex molded dark plastic lens (radar dome) on the face of the sensor as well as from the suction cup of the vertical alignment tool (3) (Special Tool No. (special tool #10243-1, Fixture, Alignment, Accessory)).
    7.Carefully slide the vertical alignment tool over the sensor housing until the suction cup rests against the lens of the sensor.
    NOTE:
    It may take several attempts to get the suction cup of the special tool to fasten securely to the sensor. If necessary, lightly wet the suction cup with clean water to help improve adhesion.

8.Depress the plunger (1) of the vertical alignment tool to engage the suction cup and attach the special tool securely to the lens of the sensor.
    Fig 2: Sensor & Ball StudCourtesy of CHRYSLER GROUP, LLCView Full-Screen

9.Use the 3.5 millimeter hex nut driver (Special Tool No. (special tool #10243-2, Driver, Nut)) to rotate the vertical adjustment ball stud (2) that secures the sensor (1) to the mounting bracket as necessary to center the bubble of the spirit level between the two center marks on the vial of the level located on the top of the vertical alignment tool.
    10.Depress the center release button of the special tool to release the suction cup from the sensor lens and remove the special tool from the sensor.
    11.On domestic market vehicles only, reinstall the front fascia onto the vehicle. Refer to FASCIA, FRONT, INSTALLATION .
    12.Perform the ACC sensor horizontal alignment using a diagnostic scan tool and the appropriate diagnostic information.
    13.Reinstall the smaller plastic bezel (mirror cover) onto the front of the sensor housing. Care must be taken to orient the bezel properly to ensure proper retention.
    14.Reinstall the molded plastic ACC fascia closeout bezel into the right lower air intake opening of the front fascia.
    Robfrmny21 likes this.
    2013 RedLine R/T. 22" SRT REP, SRT Brembo 6/4 Calipers/Drilled & Slotted Rotors, 15% Tint, LEDS. 430N, Tow Package ,Sunroof. AFE CAI, Diablo Trinity, Hemifever Tune,180 TStat, Fastman 85mm TB w/backcut, Billet Technology's Catch Can, Corsa Cat back, RK Sports Ram Air Hood.

Member #
    Liked
    383 times
    Mods
    As mentioned before, this is the process for aiming/alignment. The first part to be done is a vertical alignment user a Miller Special tool (The number was mentioned above). Its just a fancy bubble level that clips on to the front of it. Honestly, if you have one of the tiny bubble levels, you can do this piece yourself. The second piece is re-aiming of the sensor using the WiTech. It requires about a 10 minute drive where ALL of the following criteria must be met in order for it to complete...

No sudden increase in acceleration
    No Sudden braking
    Must be above 41 mph
    Must be below 60 mph
    No large radial curves (If you go 5 degrees past center either direction with the wheel, it will stop progressing)

There 1 or 2 more criteria that are eluding me at the moment. But once you finish, youll cycle the ignition and everything will good. If the first step is off, the WiTech will tell you which bolt will need adjusted and how many turns in which direction to adjust it.

Heres some advice....

The 3 bolt adjustment system seems confusing, but its pretty simple. If you are looking directly at the sensor, the following is true;

The lower right bolt is a fixed bolt and is shorter than the other two. This bolt will always be flush with mounting hole (There shouldn't be any positive or negative lead on the bolt)

The others two bolts control either horizontal or vertical adjustment. (I cant remember of the top of my head). Assuming your fixed bolt is flush, you'll only ever need to adjust the other two.
    Robfrmny21 likes this.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    I got a chance to look at it tonight. There is only 1 of 8 plastic clips holding the lower air dam to the bumper fascia broken. One! The "eye" is firmly connected to the front frame member with a steel bracket. It doesn't appear reasonable that one broken plastic clip would be the only noticeable damage for the eye to be affected. I am going to clean the eye and see if it fixes it. I noticed it was a little dirty. If not, probably going to be out the $380. Occasionally when it is engaged, the car will accelerate past the speed set. Also it went crazy with the crash avoidance warnings once out of the blue. That will make your heart thump - great system but it really gets your attention.

One other question. I don't know what the dealers rate is but lets say the $380 is three hours. That seems like about twice the time it should take. Can anyone tell me what the book says on the procedure?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links