Dodge Durango Forum banner

Where to find discontinued 1998 D-Parts

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  MWeed 
#1 ·
Looking for a replacement brake line for front left junction box to caliper hose. Part# 68170080AA Every dealer or web site I go to says "discontinued - not available". Even MoparPartsGiant took my order then sent me a cancellation saying not available.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I was able to piece together a couple of 3/16" lines from Advance Auto Parts and use a compression union to connect them together. But, if you read the label on the compression fitting "Not for Brake Lines". Anyone have an old D they are parting out? Nearest auto junk yard is 50 miles away.

#6 · (Edited)
Brad23 VERY bad idea!!! Not a reliable solution which can get you, and others, killed!

I assume that you have the original Brake line!?

Take it to a shop, as already suggested by Henfield, and they will make you one. Google e.g. "buy custom hydraulic brake-lines" and find a store in your town. Typically they make all kinds of hoses and Brake-lines on the spot. Bending is simple if they don't do it, just bend around a suitable pipe or anything round with the approximate diameter, don't bend using just your hands as it will likely go flat and prevent proper operation.

I have a Citroen, yes I know nobody knows what that is, but it has a Hydraulic system controlling the entire car, and I have bought tools to create these with. That said no need for you to buy tools for such a simple task.

My 2 cents worth and good luck!

Preben

#7 ·
Thanks Preben, I understand it's not a good solution.

I've called all my local shops and no one can (or is willing) to make it. It has inverted flares (bubble heads) on both ends and different size heads. I think one is 10mm and the other 12 or 14mm. I do have pieces of the old line but not the complete line itself. It was rusted beyond being able to save it. And now MOPAR no longer makes it and no one sells it. Isn't that just fantastic? Thanks MOPAR!!!

Like I already mentioned. I can buy 2 pieces of hard line from local parts store (3/16 inverted flare w/10mm and 14mm heads) and will use a high pressure (5000LB) compression union to join them together.
Right now I had to use a low pressure c-union just to get home.

#9 ·
Inverted flares are necessary for proper sealing at the connections to the brake fittings. You can rent a double flare tool and make the line correctly by yourself, of almost any shop can do it. Stay away from compression fittings due to liability problems if in an accident. Line could be made of bendable brake line material with no problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.