• 1 Post By MikeD1
  • 1 Post By MikeD1

Thread: Temporary Bug Protector

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Durango SXT AWD (traded Dec 2016) | 2017 Durango GT AWD Blacktop Edition

Temporary Bug Protector

So as the thread states, I'm looking for something that I can put on the front of my D to protect it from bugs. Taking it up to the north woods of wisconsin in about 6 weeks and I dont want to absolutely smoke the front end with all the insects during the drive. So I'm looking for a cheap option to cover the front of the vehicle. Obviously not too concerned about looks, so any suggestions on a product? I was thinking about just spraying the front bumper/end with plastidip and peeling it off when I get back. I've also looked into a car bra or the 3m products, but they seem too expensive for something that I only need to last a week at most. Thanks everyone!

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    I used road wrap on my show car for trips. Works very well, does not take the paint off. The only complaint I have is that in heavy rain I would have sections start to come off. I kept a razor blade with me and would trim it as needed. I also learned to start at the top and work down so the edges overlapped in a manner that would prevent the wind from catching it. Overall, very pleased.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005U...rb_top?ie=UTF8
    89 Daytona Shelby <--4 Plus year Restomod show car/cruiser
    99 Jeep Cherokee Sport
    11 AWD Durango R/T
    Shelbymopar.com God created Turbo lag to give v-8's a chance.....

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    Vehicle
    2017 Durango SXT / 2012 Honda Pilot
    Mods
    Window visors, 4 - 32G dashcams for 360 recording. 2M ham rig (calsign N4ZAW).RF shielded PCM.
    Down here in Florida, it's the middle of the semi-annual "love bug season". If you've never heard of, or experienced it, just know that Floridians dread it like the plague. It kills radiators, forward vision and paint. Bikers tend to stay home on weekends. It's bloody horrible for about 6~8 weeks in April/May, and again in August ~ September.
    We use "Pam" cooking spray on the front, a piece of window screen tie-wrapped behind the grill in front of the radiator. The bike stays in the garage because they taste like battery acid.
    Some just apply a coat of "cleaner wax" to the front, but do not buff it out for the duration. But it tends to 'cure' and get very hard to buff-off after sitting in the Sun for 6~8 weeks. It looks like crap while it's on there, and often takes mineral spirits to dissolve/remove it. So I use the Pam spray option instead. It washes off with mild detergents when love bug season is over. With either method, the critters still leave their guts all over the front, but it rinses away with water, and shields the finish against bug acid.
    Last edited by NumberThree; 05-15-2019 at 02:40 PM.
    From the land of the midnight sauna
    My Hobby Homepage

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    145 times
    Vehicle
    '16 Challenger Hellcat & '18 Durango R/T
    This love bug season is killing me. Even bought a bra in desperation, unfortunately it will not fit my R/T with the new SRT front end (even tho they claimed it would).
    At least the hood part fits and the mirror covers fit great.

Hellcat is sitting in the garage with the battery tender hooked up for the duration (no bra available for it either).
    NumberThree likes this.
    '16 Challenger Hellcat, Maximum Steel , A8, Carbon Fiber stripes, Summer Tires, Mud flaps, 30% Tint, Black Lugnuts
    '18 Durango R/T, Vice White, Black Leather, Tow pkg, Blacktop pkg, Performance Tires, Tint, Mud flaps, Black Lugnuts, Blast'in Bob's DMF250

Member #
    Liked
    147 times
    Vehicle
    2018 R/T
    Don't know the cost, and it'll vary, but a clear wrap on the front would be an option. That way your not destroying your paint with other methods, and it still looks like it does now, but protected. Also, I would highly suggest getting it ceramic coated, even if it is just the front bumper, mirrors, hood etc. Ceramic can be applied over a clear wrap as well. Cleaning anything off a cermic coated vehicle is a 1000 times easier. All three of my vehicles now have a coating. It has saved so much time cleaning them up, and yes even with bugs, as they kinda slide off the paint now. They'll sometimes get stuck to the bumper and mirrors, but my pressure washer takes them off with ease.

I don't know what to suggest for the grill and air inlets, but I wouldn't block the grill with anything. That will most definitely raise your engine temperatures, possibly even voiding a factory warranty if something happened to the engine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    2018 R/T
    Muffler Delete, Tail Light Vinyl, Dodge Tail Light Letters Removed, Black Exhaust Tips, Chrome Tailgate Letters Replaced W/ Blacktop Badges, Chrome R/T Front Grill Badge, Thinkware F800 Pro Front & Rear Dash Cam

Member #
    Liked
    145 times
    Vehicle
    '16 Challenger Hellcat & '18 Durango R/T
    With the love bugs you need protection for the grills & radiator as much as the paint, so ceramic and/or clear bra is only 1/2 of a solution.
    NumberThree likes this.
    '16 Challenger Hellcat, Maximum Steel , A8, Carbon Fiber stripes, Summer Tires, Mud flaps, 30% Tint, Black Lugnuts
    '18 Durango R/T, Vice White, Black Leather, Tow pkg, Blacktop pkg, Performance Tires, Tint, Mud flaps, Black Lugnuts, Blast'in Bob's DMF250

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Blue painters tape and screen mesh.

Put blue painters tape on all forward facing painted parts that may face oncoming road “debris”. Then around grille areas place screen mesh to create a filter of sorts. You can try and use tape to sandwich it between a few layers of tape or magnets on top and tape protecting the paint.

Anyways the wind force will keep it tight against the grille openings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    Vehicle
    2017 Durango SXT / 2012 Honda Pilot
    Mods
    Window visors, 4 - 32G dashcams for 360 recording. 2M ham rig (calsign N4ZAW).RF shielded PCM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeD1 View Post
    With the love bugs you need protection for the grills & radiator as much as the paint, so ceramic and/or clear bra is only 1/2 of a solution.
    Amen. I know this is a non-issue up north, but love bugs fouling radiators of Florida cars twice a year keep mechanics happy because it keeps their doors open between the tourista season. Many of us just tie-wrap a piece of window screen in front of the radiator any way possible, at least, for the 6~8 week duration of the hatch-out.
    From the land of the midnight sauna
    My Hobby Homepage

Sponsored Links