Fuel Injecors - multiple questions
Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Fuel Injecors - multiple questions

Grasshopper
    Member #

Fuel Injecors - multiple questions

I have a 2000 dodge durango 4.7l 4x4 that I bought this spring. This is my third durango but it has been giving me problems that I haven't experienced on my last 2. The vehicle, I believe has had some shoddy work done to it in the past, nothing specific, jut little things I have noticed here and there. Anyway, I have been getting codes 201, 205, 301 & 700. Before I got it the dealer told me of the code 200 and had a mechanic fix the bad wire which the guy did a good job on but soon after I got it the code resurfaced. The odometer has 204,000 on it. I plan on completely restoring the vehicle ie: new motor, transmission and suspension but of course this takes money and time. Until then this is my daily driver and I want it to run as smooth as possible until I save the money to put a new engine in. Right now obviously the engine is running rough. I recently purchased Champion Iridium spark plugs that I haven't installed yet. I'm waiting until I order the new coils. The coils that I decided to try are SOS coils from Performance Distributors. They claim to "increase voltage for each coil from 25,000 (stock voltage) to 35,000 volts under load." I also plan to buy all new fuel injectors.

My question(s) are as follows:

1. Any recommendations on brand and where I can buy new injectors. In my internet searches I have read where some people have installed Bosch 4 hole 40lb. injectors (I believe that stock is 24lb). I contacted Bosch directly and talked to the technician and they don't have any injectors that they recommend for the 2000 durango 4.7l so no offense to those that have installed them in their engines but I will take the word of the manufacturers technician before one of someone who just installed them hoping that they will get better performance. I don't want to make a hot rod or anything radical out of my durango, I just want it to run the most optimal that it can.

2. Is there any place that sells new fuel rails? If not what is the best way to clean the inside before installing the new injectors?

3. This doesn't have anything to do with injectors but while I'm in the mindset, there are many different sites that sell re-manufactured engines? Are there any better than all the rest? Does any place sell new engines? I saw one site called powertrainproducts.net In the description of their engines they claim to have "eliminated the oil sludge issue by utilizing a newly engineered piston which brings the combustion chamber temperature back under control. We have also drilled out drain back holes in the head and block to promote proper oiling." I'm no gear-head and didn't know this was an issue (if indeed it actually was). I just want to know if this is a bunch of hype or does this actually make sense?

In advance before anyone complains about such a long post, I apologize up front. A lot of things running through my head and I really don't have time to place multiple posts seeing how I'm new to this site and had a hard time figuring out just how to post a question in the first place so please just serious answers only. Thank you. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    745 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Citadel Hemi, 2001 SLT+4.7L
    Mods
    4.7L HO cams, Fastman TB, Superchips, R/T rims, Street Scene front bumper cover
    Well.....I'd first stick with stock injectors..putting larger flowing ones in without a tuner to adjust fuel tables will result in your engine running rich..which = poor FE and poor performance, so don't do that!
    Next, I'd just send my injectors out for cleaning, they can check function of them and tell you if any are bad.
    Fuel rails you can clean yourself with carb cleaner...I would be very surprised if they were at all dirty.

Before investing in an engine, do a compression check to see what you are working with.
    My '01 4.7L is at 356,000 and while it burns some oil...mostly from worn valve guides...it still starts right up, and still has plenty of power. A worn out engine will be down on power.

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    745 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    On the transmission, the most common failure is with the solenoid block, which you can replace yourself with either a rebuilt one for around $100 or install the updated one that came in later vehicles. There are also 2 sensors on the trans that should be changed at the same time.

You do know about the power steering switch wicking issue right? and have checked to make sure power steering fluid hasn't made it was into the harness from that sensor leaking?
    That can also cause electrical issues like you have.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Grasshopper
    Member #

Fuel Injectors - multiple questions

I think I'll go with replacing all the injectors instead of cleaning them, not because I'm rich, on the contrary, I just figure if one is bad, especially in a 20 year old vehicle that I hope to have for years to come, if one is going bad or is bad it won't be long before the others follow suit. I agree with the stock injectors. I just wanted to see if there was any advice on what brand might be better than another. On rockauto they have mopar but no warranty is indicated whereas Standard brand has a 3yr. 36,000 mile warranty.

Grasshopper
    Member #

Fuel Injectors - multiple questions

I didn't know about the wicking issue but I will check for leaks. That is another thing on my list to replace eventually, the whole power steering system and rack and pinion. Whoever had it before me decided to put automatic transmission fluid in the power steering reservoir thereby contaminating the system and my power steering is whining a little, not real bad yet but I'm sure it will in a matter of time.

Durango Jedi Master
    Member #
    Liked
    346 times
    You could be looking at a new rack along with a pump. Putting the wrong fluid in can ruin the seals in both. We have had tales of fluid wicking all the way up the harness to the PCM and following the harness to a lot of other connectors. Taking your time and cleaning the harness very carefully throughout the engine compartment is the only answer.
    Hanson front bumper, Kennesaw rear bumper, Ranch9000xl's w/ remote, Detroit Locker, lots of other goodies

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    745 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    I didn't know about the wicking issue but I will check for leaks. That is another thing on my list to replace eventually, the whole power steering system and rack and pinion. Whoever had it before me decided to put automatic transmission fluid in the power steering reservoir thereby contaminating the system and my power steering is whining a little, not real bad yet but I'm sure it will in a matter of time.
    You'll want to unplug that PS sensor/switch which is right by the PS reservoir and see if its wet inside.
    Automatic transmission fluid is the fill for the power steering system...specifically Mopar ATF+4....or any brand of approved ATF+4.

Sponsored Links