2015 SXT "Engine Clatter" on Acceleration?
Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Booky

Thread: 2015 SXT "Engine Clatter" on Acceleration?

Grasshopper
    Member #

2015 SXT "Engine Clatter" on Acceleration?

Long-time listener, first-caller!

I picked up a used 2015 SXT AWD E85 Durango with about 65k last summer and promptly took it on a road trip with the fam. We took it by Midas before the road trip to make sure everything was good to go and they gave it a clean bill of health. It's been a great vehicle for the most part, but...

A month ago we got a check engine light and it turned out to be a catalytic converter failing a heat test, so we replaced the catalytic converter. The shop said it was possibly due to "abuse" before we owned it? Check engine lights went away and everything seemed to be functioning properly, but a bad cat is a symptom of a larger issue generally, right? Which leads me to my question:

Around the same time as the cat issue I started noticing some "pinging" or general clattering noise that (to me) sounds like it's coming from the engine. I'm no expert (if you couldn't tell already), but it sounds like what the interwebs describe as knocking / pinging / clattering. From what I understand the knock sensor should be preventing that sort of thing, but that's what it sounds like to me. When I take it to the shop, they say I should be using premium gas (I'm on CO, 85 octane is "regular")... and I have actually tried that just to see, but the clatter is still there after a couple of tanks of 91.

It makes the sound when I accelerate it a little harder, but not really like I'm standing on the gas pedal. I'm actually not a very aggressive driver, so it's not like I'm flooring it (my wife is the one who drives if we need to get somewhere in a hurry).

Would anyone happen to have any ideas of what that could be or what I should ask the shop? Should I just take it in to the dealer? They said it will take days to even look at it so I haven't taken it in quite yet.

Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    Vehicle
    2004 Hemi SLT AWD Turned 100K Jan of '17. New engine September 2008 at 39K due to dropped valve.
    Hi Weasel:
    Did you have the converter replaced at no charge by a dealer? There is an 8 yr /80K warranty on the cat converters. You may still be under your 5yr/100K powertrain warranty as long as your D is not an early build. In that case, I would get to your local dealer, and ask them to sort out the internal noise issue.

Don
    2004 Durango SLT Hemi AWD "The Flame Red Rocket." ( 3/26/10 Cleveland, OH.)
    2014 Billet Silver Dodge Charger R/T Hemi AWD (10/27/16 Dundee, MI.)
    2011 Mineral Gray Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD V6 (hers) (8/21/14 Chattanooga, TN.)

de N8ECH

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Dodge Durango R/T
    Mods
    dual Magnaflow resonators (4" round) to a Magnaflow x-pipe
    I have the EXACT same issue on my 2016 RT! Took it in to the dealership last week, and it was a cluster... they basically said we test drove it, and we can't hear the noise you're hearing, so you're good to go. I tried to explain to them that it only does it when you're in the low range of any gear and you get on the gas... it's this cheap sounding fluttering/farting noise like it's struggling for a couple seconds to push exhaust. At idle and at speed though, the motor purrs like a kitten.

I keep Googling the symptoms, but I haven't found anything that matches it as closely as what you described. Do you have any updates on the issue/fix?

Thanks,
    Jason

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JWhite24 View Post
    I have the EXACT same issue on my 2016 RT! Took it in to the dealership last week, and it was a cluster... they basically said we test drove it, and we can't hear the noise you're hearing, so you're good to go. I tried to explain to them that it only does it when you're in the low range of any gear and you get on the gas... it's this cheap sounding fluttering/farting noise like it's struggling for a couple seconds to push exhaust. At idle and at speed though, the motor purrs like a kitten.

I keep Googling the symptoms, but I haven't found anything that matches it as closely as what you described. Do you have any updates on the issue/fix?

Thanks,
    Jason
    I have run into the problem where the Dealership cannot replicate the problem.

What I found to work is have someone ride with you and take a cell phone video(s) when it happens.

I have done this in the past and showed the Dealership tech. the video so they know exactly what I am talking about.

Just a suggestion.
    hamada128 and Don Fox like this.
    * Greg *

2018 SRT Durango

Sold But Not Forgotten:
    2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2012 Shelby GT500, 2005 Ram Daytona 4x4, 2003 Cobra

Sponsored Links