Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Funny Feelings about the T Shifter

Durango Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    156 times
    Vehicle
    2017 R/T , Tech Package, Tow Package, Sun Roof, Black Top.
    Mods
    K&N. [email protected] 1/4 mile

Funny Feelings about the T Shifter

Hello all,
    As a lot of you know I complain about the Stupid Knob shifter in my 2017 Durango R/T. I missed out on a 2018 with a T Shifter by a few months when I picked up the R/T in July of 2017. The only thing I don't like about my Durango R/T is the stupid shift knob.
    Fast forward to a week ago I got my wife a 2019 Charger SXT AWD in Plum Crazy Purple. No HEMI available in the AWD models. So she was slightly dissapointed but the 3.6L engine has plenty of power IMO for her. It's fun to drive and amazingly comfortable. I really like the car.
    Back in 2017 right after I got my Durango We went to Livermore CA and stayed at Wente Vineyards for a nice get away trip. I rented a 2017 Chellenger R/T and had a blast driving it. I slightly remember the T shifter getting warm after driving for awhile but I just loved having it over the Shift Knob in my Durango.
    So now with having the Charger for a week now and I have driven it several times I noticed how warm the T shifter gets. I'm old school and like to rest my hand on the shifter and where the Gear indicator is the Light inside warms the handle up to the point where I was getting slightly annoyed. If you keep your hand on the leather side to the right, it's fine but it feels better in your hand to grip that thing. But then you feel the heat from the Light and it kinda sucks.
    I wonder if the bulb is a standard non LED? I wonder if anyone else noticed this and doesn't care for it? I also wonder if a build swap if that is possible would correct the heat issue.
    My Wife likes it as she is always cold and in the winter I can see the warmth from it being a welcome thing even for me like a heated steering wheel. But during the summer months I kinda don't like it.

Thoughts?
    Enjoying life as we know it.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Just a thought, but you could probably put something like a custom leather wrap on it.
    * Greg *

2018 SRT Durango

Sold But Not Forgotten:
    2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2012 Shelby GT500, 2005 Ram Daytona 4x4, 2003 Cobra

Durango Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    156 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Booky View Post
    Just a thought, but you could probably put something like a custom leather wrap on it.
    It's a good thought as the custom leather wrap would just need to pass the glass through so you can see what gear your in etc. Something custom like that I'm actually surprised no one thought of that already.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Durango Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    156 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    I'm surprised no one else noticed this with he 2018 and newer Durangos with the T shifter.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Vehicle
    2018 Durango GT
    Now I'm fairly new to the Durango world. I've only had mine a week and but I don't find the lights in the shifter to be that warm. Maybe it's because I'm from a colder climate or my lights don't throw as much heat. Also I've only been driving around town so no more that 30 mins behind the wheel. How quickly do you find it getting warm? How warm does it get? It also could just be the difference between the Charger and the Durango.
    2018 Durango GT AWD
    Granite Crystal Metallic

Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    I have been in my DSRT for a little over an hour now and was in and out over the hour before that. My shifter handle is basically the same temp as the rest of the interior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 DDSRT
    2017 Chyrsler Pacifica Limited
    1966 Chevy Nova

Durango Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    156 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    Am I mental to think the shifter gets warm on the Light indicator side?

Member #
    Liked
    155 times
    Vehicle
    '16 Challenger Hellcat & '18 Durango R/T
    I've not noticed it on either the Durango or the Hellcat, but then everything here in FL is warm ..................
    '16 Challenger Hellcat, Maximum Steel , A8, Carbon Fiber stripes, Summer Tires, Mud flaps, 30% Tint, Black Lugnuts
    '18 Durango R/T, Vice White, Black Leather, Tow pkg, Blacktop pkg, Performance Tires, Tint, Mud flaps, Black Lugnuts, Blast'in Bob's DMF250

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Durango R/T
    I swapped the stick shifter into my 14 in place of the rotary. I don’t notice it get any warmer than anything else.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Vehicle
    2019 Dodge Durango R/T
    Mods
    SRT wheels, MGP caliper covers, Mopar splashguards, 25% tint
    I haven't noticed the T shifter being warm either. I'm glad that Dodge got rid of the rotary shifter though. My parents have it on their Pacifica and I hate it. Thankfully my prior Durango, a 2013, had a vertical shifter too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links