Sound when turning both sides
Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Sound when turning both sides

  1. #1
    Grasshopper
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    4
    Member #
    53266

    Sound when turning both sides

    Hello every body,

    My vehicle is dodge durango R/T 2014. mileage 82000 km

    The problem is that when turning left or right specially in round about there is a sound like mmmmmm and like something tries to reduce the speed and that happens when i take my leg of the gas paddle. the care also shaking. some times when i start accelerating some thing tries to prevent the car from accelerating then it release it. when i make the ESC off (traction) all probems become less accept the shaking also i hear like bearing sound sometimes.

    Note:
    Do these problems related to the 4 wheel drive system. or front drive shaft. i already replaced the rear drive shaft with a new one.
    note also that when i put the gear to neutral while driving the vibrating and shaking go off.


    sorry for my bad English

    Can u help me please.

  2. #2
    Durango Expert NumberThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SW Florida
    Posts
    906
    Member #
    25201
    Liked
    65 times
    Vehicle
    2017 Durango SXT / 2012 Honda Pilot
    Mods
    Window visors, 4 - 32G dashcams for 360 recording. 2M ham rig (calsign N4ZAW).RF shielded PCM.
    Welcome to the forum. Worn bearings can cause all the issues you mentioned. Worn bearings will sometimes create a lot of 'metal-on-metal' sounds on their own, but in addition, the slop they'll have is often enough to allow the rotors to rub against the brake pads, causing the drag effects you describe. You can verify this by jacking the wheel off the ground (one side at a time is best), and trying to physically move it. It should have ZERO 'play" in it.
    Also, by now, there is surely excessive wear on the pads and rotors too, from all the inadvertent contact.
    80K isn't a lot of miles on the originals, but if you live on unpaved, or muddy roads, or drive through lots of standing water, this could account for the premature wear. And in such environments, also checking the bushings and shocks for wear is a good idea.
    You didn't state as much, but "ESC" sounds like you have AWD? If so, the transaxles' CV joints should be checked too. Look for ripped rubber boots over the CV joints. Once they're torn open, the CV joint inside will often wear out quickly, and fail in less than 10K miles.
    Last edited by NumberThree; 06-05-2019 at 12:38 PM.
    From the land of the midnight sauna
    My Hobby Homepage

  3. #3
    Grasshopper
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    4
    Member #
    53266
    Thank you very much. but i didn't understand "trying to physically move it. It should have ZERO 'play" in it."
    Also in our country we have very bad roads and too much bumps and holes on the roads.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Durango Expert upstatedoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    590
    Member #
    7011
    Liked
    133 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Dodge Durango R/T AWD
    Mods
    Tint//Mopar CAI//ALF 4 head laser jammer//Hardwired Redline/V1
    my D had a whine when I turned the wheel, needed power steering fluid
    2018 Stinger GT
    2016 VW Passat Tsi APR Stage 1
    2014 Dodge Durango R/T AWD /True Blue/Nappa/Nav/Sunroof/Captains chairs/Tow/Bright wheels/Aftermarket dual DVD
    2009 BMW 328 ix/Active Autowerke Stage 2 tune/BMW Performance exhaust
    Countermeasure enthusiast

  6. #5
    Durango Expert jfire72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    683
    Member #
    5459
    Liked
    156 times
    Vehicle
    2018 R/T
    Quote Originally Posted by ibrahim ahmad View Post
    Thank you very much. but i didn't understand "trying to physically move it. It should have ZERO 'play" in it."
    Also in our country we have very bad roads and too much bumps and holes on the roads.
    He meant using a floorjack raise one side of the truck up in the front. Then grab ahold of the wheel while it's lifted and try and make it turn towards you or away from you, just try and shake it back and forth. If it moves, you have a problem and should check the boots and bearings on both sides. "Zero play" just means it doesn't move.

    I'm not sure what your Electronic Stability Control or "ESC" is doing. That is just suppose to keep your tires from spinning excessively if they lose traction. Tuning off ESC would mean that they will spin if they lose traction.

    You said you had your rear drive shaft fixed recently, was that the start of the accelerator issues you described? If so, the traction control might be sensing there is wheel slippage back there, and why when you turn off ESC it goes away. I have no idea why that would happen, but I would take it back to where you had it fixed, and explain tonthem what is going on. It could just be a sensor they didn't hookup back up or something.

    Edit:

    After reading your first post again, I realized you said all the shaking goes away when you put it in neutral. Does the transmission make a noise taking it from Park to Drive, or from Drive to Park? Does it feel like the shifter doesn't feel like it wants to shift into gear smoothly? I'll bet they didn't put your drive shaft in right. Definitely take you Durango back to where you had it fixed, and make them look at it again. Or, take it somewhere else that you trust and see what they say.

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jfire72; 06-05-2019 at 04:26 PM.
    2018 R/T
    Muffler Delete, Tail Light Vinyl, Dodge Tail Light Letters Removed, Black Exhaust Tips, Chrome Tailgate Letters Replaced W/ Blacktop Badges, Chrome R/T Front Grill Badge, Thinkware F800 Pro Front & Rear Dash Cam

  7. #6
    Durango Expert NumberThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SW Florida
    Posts
    906
    Member #
    25201
    Liked
    65 times
    Vehicle
    2017 Durango SXT / 2012 Honda Pilot
    Mods
    Window visors, 4 - 32G dashcams for 360 recording. 2M ham rig (calsign N4ZAW).RF shielded PCM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfire72 View Post
    He meant using a floorjack raise one side of the truck up in the front. Then grab ahold of the wheel while it's lifted and try and make it turn towards you or away from you, just try and shake it back and forth. If it moves, you have a problem and should check the boots and bearings on both sides. "Zero play" just means it doesn't move.

    I'm not sure what your Electronic Stability Control or "ESC" is doing. That is just suppose to keep your tires from spinning excessively if they lose traction. Tuning off ESC would mean that they will spin if they lose traction.

    You said you had your rear drive shaft fixed recently, was that the start of the accelerator issues you described? If so, the traction control might be sensing there is wheel slippage back there, and why when you turn off ESC it goes away. I have no idea why that would happen, but I would take it back to where you had it fixed, and explain tonthem what is going on. It could just be a sensor they didn't hookup back up or something.

    Edit:

    After reading your first post again, I realized you said all the shaking goes away when you put it in neutral. Does the transmission make a noise taking it from Park to Drive, or from Drive to Park? Does it feel like the shifter doesn't feel like it wants to shift into gear smoothly? I'll bet they didn't put your drive shaft in right. Definitely take you Durango back to where you had it fixed, and make them look at it again. Or, take it somewhere else that you trust and see what they say.

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Yes.. I'm sorry about my "American vernacular" there. Jfire72 defined it for me (thanks J).

    And if you can jack the tire off the ground and wiggle it forward/backward (as opposed to in/out), you have excessive "play" , or hear a clicking sound, it is defective CV joints. See Scotty's video clip below;
    Last edited by NumberThree; 06-07-2019 at 07:34 AM.
    From the land of the midnight sauna
    My Hobby Homepage

  8. #7
    Junior Member cambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    210
    Member #
    9243
    Liked
    45 times
    Vehicle
    2014 R/T
    Quote Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
    my D had a whine when I turned the wheel, needed power steering fluid
    X2 mine did the same

  9. #8
    Grasshopper
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    4
    Member #
    53266
    Thank you all I will send a copy of the inspection report from the dealer. That may help.

  10. #9
    Grasshopper
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    4
    Member #
    53266
    This is the report
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sound when turning both sides-20190607_204728_1559931383925.jpg  

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •