New spark plugs needed at 100K miles? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New spark plugs needed at 100K miles?

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Vehicle
    2019 Dodge Durango R/T
    Mods
    SRT wheels, MGP caliper covers, Mopar splashguards, 25% tint
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase300 View Post
    Thus the effect of going from Copper plugs in your '13 to Platinum plugs in the '14 and up models.
    Yeah the last time I changed the plugs in my 2013 I almost changed to platinum plugs, but since I knew I wasn't going to keep my 13 much longer I just went back with the less expensive copper plugs. Now with my new 19 R/T I don't have to worry about it for a while.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Vehicle
    '14 Durango SXT Plus AWD V6
    Quote Originally Posted by DeaconBlue View Post
    With Pentastar V6, if you are going to all the trouble of removing the upper half of the intake manifold to replace the spark plugs (make sure to replace them with the stock long life Iridium plugs) you might as well look into changing the COP's (ignition coils) too, as well as the oil cooler (which tends to develop a crack/leak by about 100K miles). That way you only pay for the labor or spend your own time on this job once. Don't forget to replace those intake manifold gaskets/seals/O-rings when you put the intake manifold back together so you don't develop a vacuum leak later.
    As somebody who purchased the Mopar Lifetime warranty, not sure that approach makes sense for me. The spark plugs are a scheduled maintenance item, but the coils and oil cooler would be covered by warranty. Are the Pentastar coils frequently replaced? It has been 15 years since one of my cars needed a new coil pack, that includes two vehicles that were north of 200K miles without ever replacing a coil.
    Moose135 likes this.

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    745 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Citadel Hemi, 2001 SLT+4.7L
    Mods
    4.7L HO cams, Fastman TB, Superchips, R/T rims, Street Scene front bumper cover
    I've never had a Mopar coil pack go bad yet..knock on wood.
    '01 over 350K, '06 over 225K...'14 at 90K.

Either they are working or not...I don't see them degrading over time, so no reason to replace until they actually fail.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    Vehicle
    '17 Durango Citadel
    I have the Mopar Unlimited mileage plan and I would not proactively replace non-maintenance item parts (unless they are close to what the deductible is). I think those oil coolers are actually fairly inexpensive so, yeah, if I was doing it myself I could see me doing that.
    '17 Durango Citadel, White Knuckle, Tech, and Tow

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Vehicle
    2017 Durango SXT / 2012 Honda Pilot
    Mods
    Window visors, 4 - 32G dashcams for 360 recording. 2M ham rig (calsign N4ZAW).RF shielded PCM.
    20180717_003344_resized.jpg
    20180717_003047_resized.jpg
    I know this isn't from a Durango, but these are #2 and #3 from wifey's Pilot at 100K... Note the missing porcelain? No doubt, the internals chewed on it for a while. My advice? Hell yea, change them whether they look ok, or not. It's cheap insurance this doesn't happen to your Durango.
    Last edited by NumberThree; Yesterday at 09:21 PM.
    From the land of the midnight sauna
    My Hobby Homepage

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Vehicle
    2000 & 2013 dodge durango SLT
    Mods
    none
    It is a bit more involved on the Pentastar...I believe it requires removal of the upper intake manifold.
    Hemi is a piece of cake in comparison.
    Yep. Its a PITA. 1/3/5 are easy to get to and 2/4/6 are a beyatch (Or vice versa). I had one go out at 60k and just did them all.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NumberThree View Post
    20180717_003344_resized.jpg
    20180717_003047_resized.jpg
    I know this isn't from a Durango, but these are #4 and #6 from wifey's Pilot at 100K... Note the missing porcelain? No doubt, the internals chewed on it for a while. My advice? Hell yea, change them whether they look ok, or not. It's cheap insurance this doesn't happen to your Durango.
    Those plugs don’t look right. They look “wet” and the electrodes are all coked up probably from excessive oil. They should be much cleaner looking with a grayish brown color. The electrode should be clean with maybe the tip a little worn away.

Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    Vehicle
    2004 Hemi SLT AWD Turned 100K Jan of '17. New engine September 2008 at 39K due to dropped valve.
    X2 on those Pilot plugs looking wet, and I imagine it was burning some oil. Not what I would expect from a properly maintained Honda at 100K.

Don
    2004 Durango SLT Hemi AWD "The Flame Red Rocket." ( 3/26/10 Cleveland, OH.)
    2014 Billet Silver Dodge Charger R/T Hemi AWD (10/27/16 Dundee, MI.)
    2011 Mineral Gray Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD V6 (hers) (8/21/14 Chattanooga, TN.)

de N8ECH

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    745 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Citadel Hemi, 2001 SLT+4.7L
    Mods
    4.7L HO cams, Fastman TB, Superchips, R/T rims, Street Scene front bumper cover
    Looks like the Pilot has some oil control issues....I assume its burning oil?
    Have you had the valves adjusted on it?

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Vehicle
    2017 Durango SXT / 2012 Honda Pilot
    Mods
    Window visors, 4 - 32G dashcams for 360 recording. 2M ham rig (calsign N4ZAW).RF shielded PCM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveFoy View Post
    Those plugs don’t look right. They look “wet” and the electrodes are all coked up probably from excessive oil. They should be much cleaner looking with a grayish brown color. The electrode should be clean with maybe the tip a little worn away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Fox View Post
    X2 on those Pilot plugs looking wet, and I imagine it was burning some oil. Not what I would expect from a properly maintained Honda at 100K.

Don
    Looks like the Pilot has some oil control issues....I assume its burning oil?
    Have you had the valves adjusted on it?
    EDIT: Had engine upside down. These are the REAR set, so it's Cys#1,2,3 instead of #4,5,6 above

Reasonable assumptions, and I thought so too, especially knowing that both jugs ate porcelain from the electrode insulators. But to my amazement, it never has used any oil between PMs, and still doesn't.
    I ran a compression test and #3 was only 10lbs low, with the rest about equal (couldn't get it threaded into #1 due to clearance). I wanted to run my bore scope into the cyls to see what kind of damage all that ingested porcelain did to the walls, but same deal --- couldn't get it in there. Just barely could get the plug w/socket in there. There's about as much room as that found on our Pentastars back there.

My only guess is that these two plugs were not firing properly, or were misfiring and burned rich. Carol never told me the thing ran bad, but she said performance was noticeably better after the new plugs. I told her to pay attention to the oil level, the performance and 'money light'. If they foul any time soon, I'll replace them again, and trade the varmint in on an SRT. She can have my SXT --- Don't tell Carol, but I'm prayin for the money light.
    Last edited by NumberThree; Yesterday at 09:30 PM.
    From the land of the midnight sauna
    My Hobby Homepage

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links