New to me 2015 Durango R/T 28000 miles.
Close
Login to Your Account
Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By thkbaron
  • 1 Post By thkbaron

Thread: New to me 2015 Durango R/T 28000 miles.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

New to me 2015 Durango R/T 28000 miles.

I don't think I've started this thread but I've basically asked all the questions elsewhere. I'm going to condense it. We purchased a 2015 Durango R/T w/towing package, second row buckets, console, napa leather, basically everything you can add I think. What should I be looking at as far as neglected maintenance or any common problems with a durango of this age. These are the things I noticed.....(after I got it home of course). There is an oil smell at rest I can smell through the vents. The only issue I've found was that there was what appears to be burnt oil all the way around the intake manifold. maybe a bit wet where the oil fill is at. That has since been power washed and degreased. Thought the smell went away but it still appears to be there although maybe not as strong. There is/was a clunk drivers side front over bumps. I tighten the l bracket but I swear there is still a noise. Those are the main two things I've noticed so far. There was a noise in the engine compartment but the dealership diagnosed it as a tensioner pulley so that is getting replaced. I noticed squeaks going over significant rolling bumps but they said nothing was worn to safety point. I hate noises! Bushings I'm guessing.

Anyways we do really like it since it'll be exactly what our family needs. I really want to toss some different wheels and tires on it and upgrade to the SRT hood. Trying to decide what order to do that. I was thinking Hellcat replica wheels possibly 22's.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!
    CKngAdventure and 1BADR/T like this.

Member #
    Liked
    273 times
    Vehicle
    2004 Hemi SLT AWD Turned 100K Jan of '17. New engine September 2008 at 39K due to dropped valve.
    THK:
    Welcome, and congrats on the new to you Durango. The seepage you saw around the intake could be from a sloppy oil change, or the common leaky upper intake gaskets. Be careful power washing around the engine, especially the top and wiring areas. Water under that kind of pressure can go places you do not want it to, and begin a nightmare. The '15s are known for water pump issues, so keep your ear out for any such noises.

If your power train warranty is still in force, the dealer will replace those gaskets for you.

Don
    2004 Durango SLT Hemi AWD "The Flame Red Rocket." ( 3/26/10 Cleveland, OH.)
    2014 Billet Silver Dodge Charger R/T Hemi AWD (10/27/16 Dundee, MI.)
    2011 Mineral Gray Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD V6 (hers) (8/21/14 Chattanooga, TN.)

de N8ECH

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Yeah I'm going to keep an eye on the oil around that area and go from there. I now don't have to worry about any punk kid or whomever changing my oil and touching it. Ideas on the smell anyone?
    Don Fox likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Dodge Durango R/T aka "Altered Carbon"
    Mods
    Yokohama Parada Spec-X 295/45r20's on 20 x 10, WeatherTech inside & out, Tazer, Jay Greene Tune
    Change the cabin air filter & check the Intake air filter for any oil that may have saturated it from a sloppy oil fill.

Engine Mods:
    aFe CAI, Moe's 87mm TB, Edelbrock Victor II intake manifold, Kooks LT headers w/race cats, Borla S catback, A2Speed valve covers, Granatelli coil packs, Billet Technology catchcan & water neck, 180 deg TS, Mopar oil cooler

Suspension Upgrades:
    BlackOps adjustable front upper a-arms, adjustable rear control arms, endlinks, strut brace & Road Magnet lowering springs
    Chrome Brakes® rotors, Brembo calipers, Hawk ceramic pads, 3.70 front & rear diffs

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    cabin filter was supposedly replaced when the dealer got it on their lot. I suppose I could take it. Didn't think about checking the air intake filter for that. I did look at it and I know it was new. Think I'm going to pull the trigger on the SRT hood tomorrow. haha. I feel stupid doing it knowing I haven't worked all the kinks out.

Member #
    Liked
    273 times
    Vehicle
    2004 Hemi SLT AWD Turned 100K Jan of '17. New engine September 2008 at 39K due to dropped valve.
    THK:
    Sadly, it seems that many dealers these days won't check much less change plugs, filters, etc. unless it's required or requested. Years back, I had a local dealer get nasty with me when I pointed out that the still dirty oil I had asked to be changed had not. When I bought my 04 Durango home in 10, I was surprised to see that the OEM air filter was still in place. This was at 53K. I imagine the previous owner might have paid for it, but somehow it never got done. I don't take anything for granted with auto sales or repair places these days..........

Don
    2004 Durango SLT Hemi AWD "The Flame Red Rocket." ( 3/26/10 Cleveland, OH.)
    2014 Billet Silver Dodge Charger R/T Hemi AWD (10/27/16 Dundee, MI.)
    2011 Mineral Gray Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD V6 (hers) (8/21/14 Chattanooga, TN.)

de N8ECH

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Well I did a not so maintenance oriented thing today..........Ordered a new rear scuff plate for the back of the Durango. The previous owners weren't very careful and the bright panels were all dented. I ordered a new wiper cowl since ours was all warped. Seems that the part is the same but less than 1/4 the price on the 16's. Not so sure why the 15 part# is like 220 bucks and the 16's and up are wayyyy cheaper. I also ordered the SRT hood......... so if anyone is interested in a billet silver normal one I'm your guy. My paint guy is going to paint it for like 220 bucks and that's with materials so I couldn't pass it up. Mama likes this ride so I'm going to do the best to make it awesome for her. It'll be getting new wheels next year since the ones on it totally suck. They are pretty beat up. Must have let their kids clean them with windex or something.......

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Vehicle
    2015 R/T AWD
    Mods
    20x9.5 Hellcats w/ 275/55R20, Husky WeatherBeaters and Mud Guards, Mini console swap
    Quote Originally Posted by thkbaron View Post
    I don't think I've started this thread but I've basically asked all the questions elsewhere. I'm going to condense it. We purchased a 2015 Durango R/T w/towing package, second row buckets, console, napa leather, basically everything you can add I think. What should I be looking at as far as neglected maintenance or any common problems with a durango of this age. These are the things I noticed.....(after I got it home of course). There is an oil smell at rest I can smell through the vents. The only issue I've found was that there was what appears to be burnt oil all the way around the intake manifold. maybe a bit wet where the oil fill is at. That has since been power washed and degreased. Thought the smell went away but it still appears to be there although maybe not as strong. There is/was a clunk drivers side front over bumps. I tighten the l bracket but I swear there is still a noise. Those are the main two things I've noticed so far. There was a noise in the engine compartment but the dealership diagnosed it as a tensioner pulley so that is getting replaced. I noticed squeaks going over significant rolling bumps but they said nothing was worn to safety point. I hate noises! Bushings I'm guessing.

Anyways we do really like it since it'll be exactly what our family needs. I really want to toss some different wheels and tires on it and upgrade to the SRT hood. Trying to decide what order to do that. I was thinking Hellcat replica wheels possibly 22's.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!
    2015 Durango RT owner here.

Make sure you have the correct dipstick. Should be 53034186AD. Many had wrong dipstick installed which resulted in overfilling and smoke on startup.

Also, my water pump went at just over 30k miles. Could hear is start going...so be mindful of that (common issue as well)
    2015 Durango R/T AWD, Tech, Tow, Nappa, 2nd Row Captains, 20x9.5+34 Topline V1180, 275/55R20 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Husky WeatherBeater and Mud Guards, Large to mini console swap, 50% front, 20% rear, 20% sunroof tint, red painted calipers
    2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 5.7 Hemi, crew cab, 5'7" rambox, 3.92 tow package

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks for the tip on the dipstick. I'll check that out when I get off in the morning.

Sponsored Links