Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Time for new tires, finally!

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Vehicle
    '16 Challenger Hellcat & '18 Durango R/T
    I have the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season (minus the 'Plus'). These came on the D as the 'performance tire' option.
    They are pretty good overall & smooth + quiet on the road, but could be better in the wet. So far (9K miles), they are wearing well.

The plus version seems to be rated even better in almost every respect - tread wear, speed, load & wet traction.
    '16 Challenger Hellcat, Maximum Steel , A8, Carbon Fiber stripes, Summer Tires, Mud flaps, 30% Tint, Black Lugnuts
    '18 Durango R/T, Vice White, Black Leather, Tow pkg, Blacktop pkg, Performance Tires, Tint, Mud flaps, Black Lugnuts, Blast'in Bob's DMF250

Durango Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Limited AWD V6 Premium, Safe/Conveniece & Tow packages, Opt7 LED fog lamps
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeD1 View Post
    I have the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season (minus the 'Plus'). These came on the D as the 'performance tire' option.
    They are pretty good overall & smooth + quiet on the road, but could be better in the wet. So far (9K miles), they are wearing well.

The plus version seems to be rated even better in almost every respect - tread wear, speed, load & wet traction.
    What is really amazing with the Plus version is the low rolling resistance. Lift the throttle and she just keeps rolling - if you think ahead of time, especially in city traffic, you'll really notice some improved real world MPG numbers. Also acceleration seems to be a little less "strenuous". And they are very quiet on all surfaces except maybe heavily brush concrete, like the finish they do on some bridge decks. I know this is coming off the weekend switch from the Copper winter/snow tires, but just goes to show you the technology being used in the newer tire designs.

As a side note, I love Michelin tires have them on the wife's turbo Regal (both summer and winter) as well as on the Corvette and the Lincoln LS. I have used Continental DW & DWS on a couple previous cars as well and liked them. The only reason I didn't select a Michelin tire for the Durango at the time was the combination of feature/benefits as well as the price differential. This set of Pirelli tires on the Durango has impressed me, I haven't had a set of any Pirelli tires on any vehicle in maybe 25 years or so.

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Limited AWD w/ Premium Group
    Quote Originally Posted by DeaconBlue View Post
    They are a very old design tire dating back to at least 2004 and most likely before that. They wore very quickly on my Durango. According to the PO records and PA state vehicle inspections were down to 3/32" @ 27K miles and I replaced the second set early after only 15K miles due to high rate of wear. They do nothing exceptional well, but other than a high rate of wear were not objectionable.
    You reported high rate of wear is very unusual. Numerous folks here have reported getting to 40,000 and 50,000 with this tire. Anyways, thanks for the feedback!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    729 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Citadel Hemi, 2001 SLT+4.7L
    Mods
    4.7L HO cams, Fastman TB, Superchips, R/T rims, Street Scene front bumper cover
    They are a very old design tire dating back to at least 2004 and most likely before that. They wore very quickly on my Durango. According to the PO records and PA state vehicle inspections were down to 3/32" @ 27K miles and I replaced the second set early after only 15K miles due to high rate of wear. They do nothing exceptional well, but other than a high rate of wear were not objectionable. The new low rolling resistance Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus are a much better tire - only concern with them is they could have slightly better wet braking performance, but that could also be due to the fact that I have done the front brakes but have yet to service the rear brakes so the pad material is a bit of a mis-match right now.
    Just because the GY Fortera is an older design, does not mean its a bad design or a newer tire is better.
    Looking at test data from Tire Rack it seems the old GY Fortera has much better stopping performance in the wet than the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus....and nearly matches it in dry braking.
    Looking at TireRack's more recent tests, the top rated Michelin Primacy and 2nd rated Kumho Crugen Premium both outperform the Pirelli in dry braking and especially wet braking which is the Pirelli's glaring weakness.
    Also they both returned higher FE on their test loop which is done to test rolling resistance...so I don't see where the Pirelli is any real advancement over other modern design tires or even the old GY.
    FYI, the Kumho is also XL and V-speed rated too.

As far as wear, one has to keep in mind that the wear ratings on tires are guidelines and you can easily get different mileage out of a set of tires from someone as there are many factors that go into tire wear.
    The condition of the roads, if you are traveling more highway or city, if you vehicle is properly aligned, the tires are kept at proper pressures, if you are an aggressive driver, if you tow. All can effect the mileage you get from a set of tires.
    I was able to get 58K on the GY Fortera's, but I travel more highway than city and more straight than winding roads and the roads are in good condition. I'm sure if I didn't tow a boat during the summer, I would have got a few more thousand miles on them.
    Szy_szka likes this.

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    729 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    Tire Rack's test data results braking (50-0) both dry and wet track.

Pirelli Verde Plus; Dry 94.8', Wet 153'.
    Kumho Crugen Premium; Dry 88', Wet 126'.
    Michelin Premier LTX; Dry 90', Wet 111'.

Michelin and Kumho tested same day. All 3 tires tested on same track and same vehicle, Porsche Cayenne...Pirelli different day so could be some variance, but that still would not explain the big wet braking difference which tire rack pointed out as a low point to the Pirelli.

Test data from 2004 on GY Fortera; Dry 95', Wet 100'. Given the almost 15 yr test difference, things might not be equal as I don't know if they used the same test track, but shows the GY is far from a poor tire.
    Szy_szka likes this.

Durango Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Limited AWD V6 Premium, Safe/Conveniece & Tow packages, Opt7 LED fog lamps
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase300 View Post
    Tire Rack's test data results braking (50-0) both dry and wet track.

Pirelli Verde Plus; Dry 94.8', Wet 153'.
    Kumho Crugen Premium; Dry 88', Wet 126'.
    Michelin Premier LTX; Dry 90', Wet 111'.

Michelin and Kumho tested same day. All 3 tires tested on same track and same vehicle, Porsche Cayenne...Pirelli different day so could be some variance, but that still would not explain the big wet braking difference which tire rack pointed out as a low point to the Pirelli.

Test data from 2004 on GY Fortera; Dry 95', Wet 100'. Given the almost 15 yr test difference, things might not be equal as I don't know if they used the same test track, but shows the GY is far from a poor tire.
    You can't compare test results from that many years a part as well as from different vehicles; 2004 VW Touareg V6 and 2016 Porsche Cayenne.

Yes the Plus version could still use better wet braking as noted in the test results. Yes there are two Kumhos tires available in this size that are both V speed and XL load rated.

Keep in mind that tires, like the sound of the exhaust systems, the ride of shocks/struts, as well as the color of a vehicle are all highly subjective - so as always YMMV.
    MikeD1 likes this.

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    729 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    Well everyone has an opinion, which is why Tirerack's tests are at least offered with controlled testing backing their opinion to help guide buyers.
    Now, ride is subjective, road noise can be measured and I wish tirerack used a sound meter.

BTW, you touted the low rolling resistance and improved real world FE of the Pirelli.

TireRack's testing doesn't back your claim up.

Pirelli Verde Plus - 21.5 mpg.
    Kumho Crugen - 22.5 mpg.
    Michelin Premier - 22.7 mpg.

The VW Touareg and Cayenne are the same platform I believe, but I can argue that the GY Fortera would have better results if they retested using the '16 Cayenne as we know the Porsche has better brakes, lower profile tires and better chassis tuning than the an '04 VW. The GY might outperform all.

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    729 times
    Vehicle
    Mods
    BTW, subjectively I like Toyo tires the best....but no actual test data to back up they are better than any other brand.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Vehicle
    '16 Challenger Hellcat & '18 Durango R/T
    As a side note, I love Michelin tires have them on the wife's turbo Regal (both summer and winter) as well as on the Corvette and the Lincoln LS. I have used Continental DW & DWS on a couple previous cars as well and liked them. The only reason I didn't select a Michelin tire for the Durango at the time was the combination of feature/benefits as well as the price differential. This set of Pirelli tires on the Durango has impressed me, I haven't had a set of any Pirelli tires on any vehicle in maybe 25 years or so.
    I'm a HUGE fan of the Conti DW, have run it on many cars (mostly my Infiniti's) and they were always great. The Pilot 4's are a shade better, but cost way more & since I never really push my cars to the limit, I doubt I'd exercise the slight advantages they offer over the DW. When the Pirelli Pzero summers are gone on the Hellcat, I'll be going to the Conti's. Too bad they do not make them for the Durando ...............
    '16 Challenger Hellcat, Maximum Steel , A8, Carbon Fiber stripes, Summer Tires, Mud flaps, 30% Tint, Black Lugnuts
    '18 Durango R/T, Vice White, Black Leather, Tow pkg, Blacktop pkg, Performance Tires, Tint, Mud flaps, Black Lugnuts, Blast'in Bob's DMF250

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Anyone try GENERAL GRABBER HTS 60 ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links