Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Time for new tires, finally!

Member #
    Liked
    521 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADR/T View Post
    So you bumped up from 265 to 285 with no rubbing issues? I've always been a fan of Nitto's for sure.
    Zero rubbing issue, but the front upper ball joint bolt is really close. I thought the back would have been my worry spot, but the back clears.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD1 View Post
    285's seem like a lot of tire for the OE 8" wheels ! I would think you would need to go to at least 9.5" wheels to go that wide !
    SRT's come with 295's on 10" wheels.
    285 is wide, but with a set of snow tires for winter I wasn't worried about snow and ice. I'll try to post some pics of the set up so you can see how the look on the stock rim.
    1BADR/T likes this.
    2014 White Citadel 5.7 loaded except for DVD
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Limited QDII
    1968 Pontiac Firebird 350 4spd #'s matching
    2003 HO Cummins Ram 6spd QCSB sold.

Member #
    Liked
    521 times
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'll try to get better pics this weekend when I put them back on.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Went wider and taller on my 14RT, 275/55R20 BFG on stock wheels. Much heavier too since they’re AT tires, thicker sidewalls and tread. No rubbing either

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    132 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Durango R/T AWD
    Mods
    Tint, SRT hood
    Thanks all for the input, after thinking about it, if I can't get new/wider wheels I'm going to just replace these GY's with another set of 265's. Still not sure what brand tire though.
    2014 Durango R/T AWD, Granite Crystal, Tech&Tow Pkg, Nappa, Captains, Sunroof

Durango Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Limited AWD V6 Premium, Safe/Conveniece & Tow packages, Opt7 LED fog lamps
    Quote Originally Posted by Szy_szka View Post
    Just curious about your opinion re: Fortera. Did you have any particular issues? I am at 57,000 miles and they still are looking great. I am thinking about replacement mostly due to the age of the tire (almost 5 years) and not necessarily the treadwear. Looking to buy GY again.
    They are a very old design tire dating back to at least 2004 and most likely before that. They wore very quickly on my Durango. According to the PO records and PA state vehicle inspections were down to 3/32" @ 27K miles and I replaced the second set early after only 15K miles due to high rate of wear. They do nothing exceptional well, but other than a high rate of wear were not objectionable. The new low rolling resistance Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus are a much better tire - only concern with them is they could have slightly better wet braking performance, but that could also be due to the fact that I have done the front brakes but have yet to service the rear brakes so the pad material is a bit of a mis-match right now.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Vehicle
    '16 Challenger Hellcat & '18 Durango R/T
    Quote Originally Posted by Citadel Brian View Post
    Zero rubbing issue, but the front upper ball joint bolt is really close. I thought the back would have been my worry spot, but the back clears.

285 is wide, but with a set of snow tires for winter I wasn't worried about snow and ice. I'll try to post some pics of the set up so you can see how the look on the stock rim.
    I'm no expert on this by any means, but there has been a raging debate on the Hellcat site about what size tires you can put on the OE 9.5" wheels and still be safe + get the extra contact patch. There are a number of folks there who either race or sell tires/wheels and seem very knowledgeable.

Consensus is you can only go so wide on a given wheel size before you start squeezing the tire & actually lose contact patch. For the Cat's 295 is the magic max # (275's are std), 305 will fit but you don't actually gain any additional patch.

That said (me extrapolating here), it just seems that going to 285 on 8" wheels may not really buy you anything from a traction perspective as 9" seems to be the 'sweet spot' for 285/50.
    Also, you will introduce a 3% speedo & ODO error as that tire is almost 1" taller than OE.

Not criticizing your choice by any means - just tossing out some tech considerations for those interested.
    Citadel Brian likes this.
    '16 Challenger Hellcat, Maximum Steel , A8, Carbon Fiber stripes, Summer Tires, Mud flaps, 30% Tint, Black Lugnuts
    '18 Durango R/T, Vice White, Black Leather, Tow pkg, Blacktop pkg, Performance Tires, Tint, Mud flaps, Black Lugnuts, Blast'in Bob's DMF250

Member #
    Liked
    521 times
    I'll be the first to admit when I went to the tire shop and looked at the first tire mounted I was more then alittle nervous about the size. According to Nitto the tires have a rim range of 8-10 inches, so I figured I'd be good. Mike I think your point is very valid about contact patch, especially since the camber (I think) of the stock suspension has the top of the tire leaning in a little giving an even wider tire less contact. Has me alittle nervous as the 420's have a pretty wide groove on the side of the tread. I'm worried tread wear may be fast because of this. I liked the tread pattern so...
    MikeD1 likes this.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Vehicle
    2016 Hemi Citadel
    You guys are getting some good mileage out of your OEM GY tires.

My 2016 came with Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus... Currently at 33k, and they aren't going to last much longer.
    '16 Hemi Citadel
    '17 JKUR
    '87 GN

Member #
    Liked
    521 times
    The Durango has 39,500 on it and the last three winters I've run winter tires, and replaced the GYs last spring.

Durango Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Limited AWD V6 Premium, Safe/Conveniece & Tow packages, Opt7 LED fog lamps
    Quote Originally Posted by DeaconBlue View Post
    They are a very old design tire dating back to at least 2004 and most likely before that. They wore very quickly on my Durango. According to the PO records and PA state vehicle inspections were down to 3/32" @ 27K miles and I replaced the second set early after only 15K miles due to high rate of wear. They do nothing exceptional well, but other than a high rate of wear were not objectionable. The new low rolling resistance Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus are a much better tire - only concern with them is they could have slightly better wet braking performance, but that could also be due to the fact that I have done the front brakes but have yet to service the rear brakes so the pad material is a bit of a mis-match right now.
    A couple other things about the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus since I just put them back on my Durango yesterday. In the stock 265/50-20 size they are both V speed rated (better construction) and XL load rated (very handy when loaded down and/or pulling a heavy trailer). The tread and side wall design is not aggressive, which on an R/T can also be beneficial. I would in no way concerned using these for off-road duty, but I have used them on dry trails up in the UP of Michigan and in Ohio, but I would never dream of doing that in wet mud with these tires.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links