Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 2016 Limited engine bumps, won’t crank intermittent

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

2016 Limited engine bumps, won’t crank intermittent

Back story. All maintenance has been completed and currently at 56k miles. Summer 2018 recalls began for PCM reflash, EGR, cruise control. Oil change at thanksgiving and then headlights began dimming down, then back up with brightness. This was the same for interior lighting.
    This would not happen if the car was at idle in park. Only in gear. Come to a stop, lights fluctuate down and up. Battery died and i replaced it. Alternator check was done and it was not putting out voltage above 12v.

Dealer replaced alternator at $450. This was the beginning of December. Lights were perfect and all was well. Come Christmas they started again. But my voltmeter showed 13.6-14.1v, drop to 12.5, back up. Only when the headlights were doing it in gear. At idle 14.1-ish.

Then intermittent issues with the key fobs. We replaced the batteries and no change. Sometimes the liftgate wouldnt open, sometimes no remote start. Sometimes no unlocking or locking of doors.

Then we began to have the engine bump over, like you were trying to get cylinder 1 to TDC. It would repeatedly does this. Then eventually start without issue. Sunday, it all happened at once. Doors wouldn’t unlock, handle wouldn’t recognize me and used the key to get in. Then just bumping of engine. Finally started and got home. Monday morning, it wouldn’t do anything but bump over. Key fob not detected, key fod battery low or nothing. Just bumps over. Tried to jump, no change in cranking. Just bumped like you didnt hold the button long enough.

Let my wife take my truck to work and for gigles put battery on trickle charge. Got home at 5 and repeat of the morning. Disconnected the battery for a couple minutes because i read something about resetting the Wireless Control Module, and reconnected. No change. Then, she tried again and it started.

We then drove it straight to Dodge. Where i wrote this all down for the technician, because i dont trust the relaying ability of the service writer. I know i cannot be the only ones with this issue.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I was searching the forums with negative results so far.

Member #
    Liked
    524 times
    When it bumps, do the interior lights dim? Almost sounds like a bad ground.
    Chase300 likes this.
    2014 White Citadel 5.7 loaded except for DVD
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Limited QDII
    1968 Pontiac Firebird 350 4spd #'s matching
    2003 HO Cummins Ram 6spd QCSB sold.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Durango Citadel
    Mods
    Rear Resonator Delete, Cold Air Intake...using factory filter box, K&N Filter, 10 inch Subs, etc.
    How old is battery? Even slightly weak battery can cause issues with all the computer controls.... Even 11 volts @ load will keep it from starting.. it happened to me when factory battery finally failed.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by manbat; 02-04-2019 at 07:32 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    The battery was replaced with an AutoCraft Platinum AGM a couple months ago. No one else had one in stock and Dodge was not going to rape me on price with a crap warranty on the battery. I wanted the Duracell AGM, but it was back ordered. When you hit the button, everything flashed off and back on. I had the battery on a slow trickle charge all day, even though it showed 12 volts at the battery. I figured it couldn't hurt. However it made no difference. Having it hooked up to a 2017 Dodge Charger to jump it made no difference. It just did the engine bumping over, like you were doing it intentionally with a key.

But again, the intermittent issue with the key fob and car not responding made me think this is all related. As well as the lights dimming down and brightening back up while in gear. Never in park.
    Last edited by DoughnutToo; 02-04-2019 at 10:10 PM.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    So Dodge called about an hour ago and said they can’t replicate any of the issues occurring. Story of my life.

What do you guys think?

Member #
    Liked
    291 times
    Vehicle
    2004 Hemi SLT AWD Turned 100K Jan of '17. New engine September 2008 at 39K due to dropped valve.
    Doughnut:
    I would have the battery load tested again to rule it out. New batteries can and do fail. Second, you may have a starter going bad. BTW, did you check to see if your D's alternator was included in the rather large recent recall on them? If so, you can request reimbursement from FCA for your $450. This issue has all of the signs of there being a high resistance in one of the high current circuits. Kind of like when the old school starter solenoids got a burned spot on its contacts. Once this occurred, it would operate intermittently until it finally failed for good.

Low voltage or lack of sufficient current will make today's myriad of electronics go crazy.

Don
    2004 Durango SLT Hemi AWD "The Flame Red Rocket." ( 3/26/10 Cleveland, OH.)
    2014 Billet Silver Dodge Charger R/T Hemi AWD (10/27/16 Dundee, MI.)
    2011 Mineral Gray Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD V6 (hers) (8/21/14 Chattanooga, TN.)

de N8ECH

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    The recall only applies to 2012-2014 Durangos. Problem with load testing at say Autozone or Advance Auto is the location. We tried that before and the tester gives an error and if its tested under the hood connections, it doesn’t recognize it.

If they cant figure it out, then i will take it out.
    Don Fox likes this.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Dealer called and they got it to reproduce the issue. First they said they are going to have to charge the battery overnight, as it fails the test. But they also admitted to being on the phone with Chrysler Engineers. Because they too don’t understand what is causing all these issues.

And i am not paying a ridiculous amount for this crazy BS.
    Don Fox and Citadel Brian like this.

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    748 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Citadel Hemi, 2001 SLT+4.7L
    Mods
    4.7L HO cams, Fastman TB, Superchips, R/T rims, Street Scene front bumper cover
    Crazy...I wonder what is draining the battery?

Member #
    Liked
    291 times
    Vehicle
    2004 Hemi SLT AWD Turned 100K Jan of '17. New engine September 2008 at 39K due to dropped valve.
    Speaking of current drains, the 05 Grand Caravan my wife used to drive went through 2 BCM'S. The failure mode was that as long as you started it every day, it would start and run fine. If left to sit for more than 24 hours, the battery was too far down to start it. In both cases, the BCM was not going to "sleep", and running the battery down. In this case, the BCM was a $600 repair! Could be something similar.

Don
    2004 Durango SLT Hemi AWD "The Flame Red Rocket." ( 3/26/10 Cleveland, OH.)
    2014 Billet Silver Dodge Charger R/T Hemi AWD (10/27/16 Dundee, MI.)
    2011 Mineral Gray Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD V6 (hers) (8/21/14 Chattanooga, TN.)

de N8ECH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links