Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: ZF fluid change

Durango Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    145 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Limited AWD V6 Premium, Safe/Conveniece & Tow packages, Opt7 LED fog lamps
    Quote Originally Posted by NumberThree View Post
    Don't mind me --- just reading and learning here.. But when reading ZF's data sheet, I got stuck trying to figure THIS generic warning out;
    I give up. WTH does it mean? "You two guys -- Stop working on this transmission with huge open-end wrenches!" ?? "This is a 2-man job"?? "No naked dudes in the shop" ???
    Attachment 102018
    I like the "no naked dudes in the shop", now gals maybe another thing, but I digress. Its most likely something like... Its not a DYI job for the owner and should only be performed by a certified service technician.
    Last edited by DeaconBlue; 01-05-2019 at 09:27 PM.
    NumberThree likes this.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by IvoryHemi View Post
    How many quarts does the drain & fill take on the 8HP70? Looking for quantities for with pan/filter and for without.

Is seems either genuine ZF Lifeguard 8 fluid or Ravenol J1D2113-004 ATF are the best options.

It's interesting that the OEM ZF fluid is only
    semi-synthetic, vs Ravenol that is full synthetic. But they are priced similar.
    Has anyone done the fluid change in the Durango? I am curious if you had it on a lift to run though the check fluid level process or whether the pan/filter replacement and fluid change can be done from the ground with jacks or ramps to access the transmission?

My dealer is recommending the BG system fluid replacement and I've seen no feedback on it in these transmissions. Mine is a 2014 with the 845RE 8 speed transmission.

Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    Vehicle
    '17 Durango Citadel
    The DEALER is recommending this? You best run, not walk, to find you an actual reputable dealer. This one obviously is a snake oil salesman.

The ZF transmission fluid never needs to be changed. This is why the tranny is completely sealed. I have my doubts about this actually but if I ever decide to do it, Mopar ATF is the only fluid I would allow a mechanic to use.

Finally, the procedure is complicated. I recall watching a YouTube video (so it must be true right? Haha) and there were a number of steps involved. I don't recall the details other than my impression was that that was one job I'd only do at a dealer.
    '17 Durango Citadel, White Knuckle, Tech, and Tow

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Grasshopper
    Member #
    I am at 85,000 miles and want to do the fluid change as preventative maintenance. I'm guessing without a lift you can't change the pan and do the fluid change and fluid level check do to the low ground clearance. The fluid check procedure also has the vehicle shifting into 2nd for 5 seconds so it would need to be off the ground. But, if someone else has done it I am interested in feedback.

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    745 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Citadel Hemi, 2001 SLT+4.7L
    Mods
    4.7L HO cams, Fastman TB, Superchips, R/T rims, Street Scene front bumper cover
    I'm thinking you can put the front on ramps...and then lift the rear and put on jackstands to level it out for the shift test.
    I don't believe it requires any actual movement of the drivetrain, just shifting gears.

My view is while it says in the manual you don't need to change...the warranty is only for 100K miles which seems would be the max lifespan of the trans oil.
    So I'd change it if you plan on going 200K+ miles. Worth checking out the pan just to see how things look on the pan magnet.

Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    Vehicle
    '17 Durango Citadel
    So I have the Mopar Lifetime guarantee. If I follow the maintenance guide (i.e. no tx fluid change) when the tranny dies at xxxk miles do they still buy me one? Seems to me that if I do anything other than have a reputable dealer change it per FCA-mandated fluid and processes, they'd deny it.
    '17 Durango Citadel, White Knuckle, Tech, and Tow

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    745 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Citadel Hemi, 2001 SLT+4.7L
    Mods
    4.7L HO cams, Fastman TB, Superchips, R/T rims, Street Scene front bumper cover
    Yeah, I think you're covered Pappy35....but for the rest of us....

Durango Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    145 times
    Vehicle
    I got a QuickJack lift earlier this spring, just have not had a chance to use it on the Durango yet. I recently crossed 71K miles, so I want to at least change the fluid in both differentials and the transfer case. I will take a look at the ZF trany 845E while under there as well, but yes the procedure looks to be a PITA to change the fluid, as well as being expensive.

https://www.zf.com/unitedkingdom/en_...hange_oil.html

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Durango RT Brilliant White
    Mods
    AFE CAI, Corsa Catback exhaust
    Quote Originally Posted by DeaconBlue View Post
    I got a QuickJack lift earlier this spring, just have not had a chance to use it on the Durango yet. I recently crossed 71K miles, so I want to at least change the fluid in both differentials and the transfer case. I will take a look at the ZF trany 845E while under there as well, but yes the procedure looks to be a PITA to change the fluid, as well as being expensive.

https://www.zf.com/unitedkingdom/en_...hange_oil.html
    I've been looking at the QuickJack also. What model did you get and where will you use as the front jacking point?

Durango Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    145 times
    Vehicle
    Because the wide variation of vehicles in the driveway, I was most concerned with what QuickJack model would work best with the Corvette, but I made sure that it could still (sort of safely?) lift the 5000 lbs V6 Durango. I went with the BL-5000SLX - which is technically has just barely enough lift weight capacity and a wide enough lift point spread length for the V6 Durango. The key was that the minimum collapsed height of 3" (to fit under the Corvette without having to first drive it up on say 2"x12" planks) as well as collapsed length of 70". The the max collapsed length to fit under the Corvette can't be much more than about 74-75". The maximum lift point spread for the BL-500SXL is 60". I measured the Durango lift point spread at 57.5" on the driver's side and 59" on the passenger side (unibody frame rail section in the front to the jacking pod/tower in the rear). Yes I know there is not much room for error in positioning the frame rails and jacking pucks.

If I were using the QuickJack solely on the Durango, I would have gone with and highly recommend the BL-7000EXT model.

On a side note, I would have loved to have bought the MaxJack M-6 portable 2-post lift with its 6000 lbs capacity and 48" lift capability, but that would have limited its use to solely inside the garage. Even though the QuickJack the lift is much lower at 23" (with the SUV adapters), it is truly portable so I can set it up out in the driveway or on any hard (concrete) surface if needed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links