Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Tires Tires Tires

Member #
    Liked
    15 times

Tires Tires Tires

I've read several threads here on tire but haven't seen much on whats lasting long. So will need new tires sooner than later and looking for some real life experience reviews from you guys/gals. I am looking a several different models and wanted some feedback so here are the brands, all in size 265/50/20. I am looking for something that I can expect 50k give or take, I'm not into getting tires every 30k. I do tow a TT so maybe that should play in a bit. Any other recommendations would be great. Thanks
    Michelin defender ltx
    Cooper srx discoverer
    Pirelli scorpion Verde all season

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    749 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Citadel Hemi, 2001 SLT+4.7L
    Mods
    4.7L HO cams, Fastman TB, Superchips, R/T rims, Street Scene front bumper cover
    Goodyear Fortera's will last that long...I got 60K out of them.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    were they still good at 40k? Sorry what I mean is did they get loud handle poorly etc.. as they aged seems like a lot of tires may go 50-60k but are crap by 40k

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    My Kumho Solus had me sliding all over the place in a Seattle snow on Christmas eve. 30K miles on them after 22months and they were at about 5/32nds but were worthless in the snow. I have a set of Defenders coming in to put on. I was looking at the Michelin Premiere LTX but there seems to be a shortage of them around here (no one an get them until February). I think I will like the extra tread depth of the Defenders.

2014 SXT Rallye

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    749 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Citadel Hemi, 2001 SLT+4.7L
    Mods
    4.7L HO cams, Fastman TB, Superchips, R/T rims, Street Scene front bumper cover
    No they never got loud, actually handled better in the dry with the tread worn down. Still decent in the wet, though clearly not as good as when new.
    Unknown was how they perform in snow as I never drove in any winter conditions with them.
    So for the price they are tough to beat IMO.

That saying I do believe Michelin's are one tire that you do get what you pay for and if not on a tight budget or leasing I would buy them.
    MikeD1 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Thanks guys, Chase300 thanks for the info on the good year they are a good price point for sure, Michelins are about $300 more. I agree on the kumbo they seem ok for passenger cars but not on the heavy DD
    Last edited by vrodguy; 12-29-2017 at 06:43 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Durango Citadel
    Of the options you've listed, I'd get the Cooper because that model is apparently made in the USA and my uncle has them on his Tahoe and loves them (he lives in Chicago). The first set of tires I put on my fancy aftermarket wheels on my Mustang were Cooper ZEON RS3-S and I was very happy with them and they lasted far longer than they should have. I plan to get the Coopers, should they be available still after my Goodyear Forteras die, which ain't gonna be any time soon. I don't like how these Goodyears look (sidewall is needlessly "off-road-ish") and for some reason I lack confidence in rain with these despite them only have 27K miles on them and looking damn near fresh. That said, you pretty much are always going to be satisfied with Michelins, but they seem to believe their tires are made of gold, and I'm not paying their pricing. I typically buy Continental or Cooper tires. I assume you're wanting a XL tire, which Conti doesn't offer I don't think. Pirelli is a Chinese company now and given how many other options there are and the fact that I'm Italian by heritage and it's insulting to me that Pirelli sold out to China, I avoid them. The Pirelli tires that come on Mustangs like mine are supposed to last 20K and last about 12K... garbage.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Vehicle
    2015 RT
    Mods
    Bilstein 5100's, TJ coil spacers, JDM astar bulbs
    +1 on Coopers. I put a set of 285/50R20 Discoverer HT Plus on this summer. I really like them. Solid in the rain, snow, etc.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Thanks for the info CT Mike, I have read good reviews on them how many miles do you have on them so far? Thanks Hank

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Vehicle
    2015 RT
    Mods
    Bilstein 5100's, TJ coil spacers, JDM astar bulbs
    Almost 8000.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links