Dodge Durango Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 5th to 4th, Hard Downshift

Member #
    Liked
    21 times

5th to 4th, Hard Downshift

Noticed yesterday when coming to a stop, the truck (2017 RT) would downshift hard and surge forward a bit. Watched the gear selection, and each time it was when going from 5th to 4th. Upshifts and the rest of the downshifts are smooth. This is NOT Sport mode, just normal, and no paddles. Seems like it waits an extra second, then hits 4th harder and lurches forward. Shut truck off in traffic and restarted. Next slow down was normal, then each time afterward it was back to hitting hard.

After work today, noticed same thing again. When I got home, I disconnected the battery and went for another ride. All was smooth again. But, then I noticed I was getting hot, so the AC was not on because I had disconnected the battery. Decided to turn the AC on and go for another ride. Yep, the hard downshift to 4th and surge was back right away.
    It was warm starting yesterday, so in the last 1800 miles since new, barely had AC on other than defrost etc. Have no idea if AC has any connection.

Anybody had any hard downshift issues from 5th to 4th??? Feels like the ECM/TCM is getting screwed up or indecisive.
    Last edited by CodyC6; 04-29-2017 at 08:43 AM.
    phillipsrhit likes this.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I've noticed this as well on my '17 DD R/T and I've read others having the same issue. I assume this is normal behavior for this transmission if it's happening on other 8-speed Chrysler products

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Vehicle
    2016 Durango R/T Blacktop
    I have this issue on my 2016 R/T after asking for an ECM update for harsh 2-1 downshifts. The 5-4 wasn't a problem before the update. 2-1 is still there, but is nowhere near as bad as 5-4. I'm going to see if I can get the old software flashed until they get this sorted.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Vehicle
    '15 RT AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeygtp View Post
    I have this issue on my 2016 R/T after asking for an ECM update for harsh 2-1 downshifts. The 5-4 wasn't a problem before the update. 2-1 is still there, but is nowhere near as bad as 5-4. I'm going to see if I can get the old software flashed until they get this sorted.
    2-1 bump is a well known long term issue, don't get your hopes up. And FYI it is not limited to the Durango...

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Vehicle
    2016 Dodge Durango R/T AWD
    Mods
    Stock
    Same problems on my 16 with now 6800 miles. Started as a hard 2-1 downshift coming to stops. Now, it's 5-4, 3-2 and 2-1. On occasion when slowing down and having to accelerate again as traffic picks up, the car is sluggish and hesitates to start accelerating. This happens in eco and standard mode. Once we use sport mode, almost all of these symptoms pretty much completely go away. Getting tough to deal with daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Billet Silver R/T AWD
    20% Tint - Tinted tail lights - aFe drop-in filter - Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lights - WeatherTech Mats -

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    On the way to dinner last night told wife what I had noticed. Was watching selector when slowing to stop. When it downshifted from 5th to 4th, she said, wow did you hit the gas. So she could feel the harder shift and surge forward. On way back home, flipped to Sport mode for last two slowdowns, and didn't have the 5-4 problem as Grabber mentioned.

I drive in sport more than regular, so may be why I'm noticing it more. Plus, if Sport takes out the hard 5-4 downshift, seems like the programming of the standard setting may be off and not the transmission.

Member #
    Liked
    447 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Limited V-6 AWD Max Steel
    Quote Originally Posted by CodyC6 View Post
    After work today, noticed same thing again. When I got home, I disconnected the battery and went for another ride. All was smooth again. But, then I noticed I was getting hot, so the AC was not on because I had disconnected the battery. Decided to turn the AC on and go for another ride. Yep, the hard downshift to 4th and surge was back right away.
    It was warm starting yesterday, so in the last 1800 miles since new, barely had AC on other than defrost etc. Have no idea if AC has any connection.
    I wonder if there's some programming that keeps the RPMs up a little with the A/C on, and that effects the shift?

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Vehicle
    17 Citadel AWD V8, Vice White, Tech/Ent/Tow
    Mods
    Husky floor liners & Aries cargo liner. Front window tint. Rexing V1 dash cam.
    Our 2017 Citadel has over 8K miles now. I have noticed the 5-4 jerky downshift when slowing down. I would say it started between 6k and 7k miles on the odometer. I haven't had any work done to the car other than a quick oil change at the dealer. It only happens occasionally. I haven't been able to figure out a pattern. We live in TX, so the AC is pretty much running all the time. And I drive in the regular mode and not in a spirited way.

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    745 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Citadel Hemi, 2001 SLT+4.7L
    Mods
    4.7L HO cams, Fastman TB, Superchips, R/T rims, Street Scene front bumper cover
    Still silky smooth still in my j2014 Hemi Citadel...just crossed 50K.

Member #
    Liked
    573 times
    I got the same issue , valve body being ordered.

Friend told me on the relearns they should be letting the car coast down from 8th all the way to 1st to learn the down shifts
    2018 rt !! I post using my cell phone so please forgive misspellings and grammar errors .

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links