Thread: 5th to 4th, Hard Downshift

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Vehicle
    17 Citadel AWD V8, Vice White, Tech/Ent/Tow
    Mods
    Husky floor liners & Aries cargo liner. Front window tint. Rexing V1 dash cam.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxV8D View Post
    Our 2017 Citadel has over 8K miles now. I have noticed the 5-4 jerky downshift when slowing down. I would say it started between 6k and 7k miles on the odometer. I haven't had any work done to the car other than a quick oil change at the dealer. It only happens occasionally. I haven't been able to figure out a pattern. We live in TX, so the AC is pretty much running all the time. And I drive in the regular mode and not in a spirited way.
    Now with 26K miles, our 2017 Citadel Hemi is doing this rough 5-4 downshift a lot more often now. The downshift seems to be smoother if I slow down very gently by braking much sooner and riding the brakes longer with light pressure. We don't drive the car aggressively, but we don't baby it, either. So it would require a change in our driving habit to do this every time. I agree it could be dangerous when the car surges forward when you least expect it. When you brake you expect the car to slow down, not speed up.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Vehicle
    2015 Durango R/T 5.7L AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by TxV8D View Post
    Now with 26K miles, our 2017 Citadel Hemi is doing this rough 5-4 downshift a lot more often now. The downshift seems to be smoother if I slow down very gently by braking much sooner and riding the brakes longer with light pressure. We don't drive the car aggressively, but we don't baby it, either. So it would require a change in our driving habit to do this every time. I agree it could be dangerous when the car surges forward when you least expect it. When you brake you expect the car to slow down, not speed up.
    See my update in post #14 in this thread. I think that you're on the right track with the gradual decelerations. Do that for a week or so & the PCM should relearn proper downshifting.

Grasshopper
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vehicle
    2016 R/T
    I have been having the same issue on my 16 RT. Hard down shifting right as the car comes to a stop, and the car lurches forward. Does not happen in Sport mode. Had the dealer reset the shift points and this only resolved it for 24 hours. I will try gentle slow downs around town and see if that helps. I thought I would need warranty repair, but seems as though there is nothing really to do other than leave it in Sport mode. Seems like a software problem. Anyone have a dealer connection to see if there is a way to perform shift point resetting on our own?

4. Remove Advertisements
    DodgeDurango.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    573 times
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipsrhit View Post
    I have been having the same issue on my 16 RT. Hard down shifting right as the car comes to a stop, and the car lurches forward. Does not happen in Sport mode. Had the dealer reset the shift points and this only resolved it for 24 hours. I will try gentle slow downs around town and see if that helps. I thought I would need warranty repair, but seems as though there is nothing really to do other than leave it in Sport mode. Seems like a software problem. Anyone have a dealer connection to see if there is a way to perform shift point resetting on our own?
    Your never gonna get rid of this issue. Speaking from experience sorry to say
    2018 rt !! I post using my cell phone so please forgive misspellings and grammar errors .

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Vehicle
    2018 Hemi Citadel
    I'm starting to think it's a ZF tranny thing. IIUC the BMW X5 uses essentially the same tranny, and guess what? Many of those guys are describing this exact issue.

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    746 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Citadel Hemi, 2001 SLT+4.7L
    Mods
    4.7L HO cams, Fastman TB, Superchips, R/T rims, Street Scene front bumper cover
    Are we talking HP70? or the 2nd gen HP75?

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Vehicle
    2015 Durango R/T
    This same thing started for me after the dealership did my cruise control recall last week. I have an appointment in the morning to have them take care of it.
    2015 RT, 12 days left on 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty. We'll see.
    --- Mike
    2006 Charger R/T w/ R&T - Sept 2005-Aug 2015
    2015 Durango R/T - Aug 2015 ----->

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Vehicle
    2018 Hemi Citadel
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase300 View Post
    Are we talking HP70? or the 2nd gen HP75?
    I couldn't answer that Chase.

Durango Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    746 times
    Vehicle
    2014 Citadel Hemi, 2001 SLT+4.7L
    Mods
    4.7L HO cams, Fastman TB, Superchips, R/T rims, Street Scene front bumper cover
    Actually I believe the 2nd gen HP75 hasn't made its way into the Durango...though the 2nd gen HP50 has behind the V6.
    Got me thinking when it was mentioned that BMW owners are experiencing the same as they are running the HP75...which is the 2nd gen version of the HP70.
    Last edited by Chase300; 08-02-2018 at 07:26 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Vehicle
    2018 Hemi Citadel
    I guess it's the older X5 that uses the HP70. Maybe this problem is also on other ZF trannies too?

You could grab almost any random thread from Google talking about this, and someone in there will say the BMW dealer can't pinpoint the problem either.

It strikes me that not just one, but at least two, huge auto makers seem to be stumbling with this.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links